Dashcam refuses to record with rear camera addon plugged in

Dylan11003

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got a nextbase 522gw paired with the rear camera addon (one that you run a cable to the back window).
It has been working perfectly fine for the past year or so and has now decided that with the rear camera plugged in, it will either stop recording when it goes to roll over to the next clip or flat out refuses to record at all.
I have tried hard resetting it multiple times, checked the power connection, brought it in and charged it for an hour or two, bought a brand new U3 SD card for it and tried cleaning all of the connectors and still nothing.
I'm at a bit of a loss at this point, obviously not wanting to have to spend £60 on a brand new rear cam (was going to try just the main lead but out of stock) and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has any pointers?
Thanks.

Sadly, Nextbase being out of stock of the most basic of items is becoming the norm, no doubt there will be a plausible excuse.
Also their desire to redesign sockets and connectors and therefore cables from the 512 to 522 variants I find frustrating as there are now 000’s of cables just languishing in garage drawers somewhere, which with a modicum of forethought, they could have preserved the 512 RC, and designed 522 to accept it. Their latest pitch for now not supplying a suction base for the 522, is in the interest of environmental issues, pity they hadn’t come up with that phrase before totally redesigning the 522.
Rant over, sorry I have 512 cables but they are no good to you.
If the front camera is working fine by itself, and you feel you MUST have a rear cam. Then purchasing and fitting the most basic of dash cam in the rear window would provide an answer. Not the best solution I know.

Sadly, Nextbase being out of stock of the most basic of items is becoming the norm, no doubt there will be a plausible excuse.
Also their desire to redesign sockets and connectors and therefore cables from the 512 to 522 variants I find frustrating as there are now 000’s of cables just languishing in garage drawers somewhere, which with a modicum of forethought, they could have preserved the 512 RC, and designed 522 to accept it. Their latest pitch for now not supplying a suction base for the 522, is in the interest of environmental issues, pity they hadn’t come up with that phrase before totally redesigning the 522.
Rant over, sorry I have 512 cables but they are no good to you.
If the front camera is working fine by itself, and you feel you MUST have a rear cam. Then purchasing and fitting the most basic of dash cam in the rear window would provide an answer. Not the best solution I know.
It's so irritating how these cameras can be so great yet so awful. The main camera itself is now doing the same thing without anything else plugged in so now I'm thinking the whole thing is buggered.

“Bugger”, might be worth a word with Nextbase customer services and see if they have a check and repair workshop the package could be sent to. There’re too expensive to replace every couple of years.

Hi, I've got a nextbase 522gw paired with the rear camera addon (one that you run a cable to the back window).
It has been working perfectly fine for the past year or so and has now decided that with the rear camera plugged in, it will either stop recording when it goes to roll over to the next clip or flat out refuses to record at all.
I have tried hard resetting it multiple times, checked the power connection, brought it in and charged it for an hour or two, bought a brand new U3 SD card for it and tried cleaning all of the connectors and still nothing.
I'm at a bit of a loss at this point, obviously not wanting to have to spend £60 on a brand new rear cam (was going to try just the main lead but out of stock) and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has any pointers?
Thanks.
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your rear camera. I would recommend the following:

1. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please plug in the rear camera. Then turn on the front camera. Does it now start normally? Can you now see the rear camera image?

2. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

3. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight. if the camera is stopping recording at 1 second then this will be the issue.

Finally, what brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your rear camera. I would recommend the following:

1. Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please plug in the rear camera. Then turn on the front camera. Does it now start normally? Can you now see the rear camera image?

2. Clean all of your rear camera connectors with an alcohol wipe to ensure that they're clean and free of debris.

3. Ensure the Rear Window Camera cable is fully inserted where the cables join- it should click when it's fully connected together. There's a connector about 30 cm from the rear camera, this connector can be a little deceiving and needs to be really tight. if the camera is stopping recording at 1 second then this will be the issue.

Finally, what brand, size, model and class of SD card are you using please?

Kind regards,
Millie
1. I had done this several times, as suggested by other replies to similar issues. I could always see the rear camera footage on the screen the camera refused to record either way.

2. Have also already done this with no luck

3. Done this, I have put plenty of pressure on the connector to ensure it is entirely in and still nothing. Now this issue is recording regardless of rear cam being plugged in.

SD card is a samsung evo plus 128gb U3 card. I can confirm that this is not an SD card issue as I bought this card brand new when these issues occurred, have also tried multiple other capable cards I have with no luck.

Hi,

Can I confirm that it works correctly without the rear camera please?
I think it would be worth trying a Nextbase SD card before replacing the rear camera cable, so I've direct messaged you about this.

Kind regards,
Millie

Back