Dashcam restarts continuously

funcarfun

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
Hey everyone!

I've had a street guardian SG9665GC v3 for 7 years (since 2016!) and worked flawlessly all these years. But a few weeks ago, I noticed that the camera would make a chime sound over and over again because it restarted again and again. Cables seem ok with a quick look. Any suggestions on what could be causing this? bad SD card? bad electricity? dying camera?

Thank you.

7 years is a long time. The first thing I would check is the SD card, they have a finite life span. The next most common cause of restarting is a power problem. Use a different power source, including cables, to see if the problem persists.

Use the SD card formatter from the SD Association to do a low-level format which will also check the integrity of the card at the same time.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Changed car ?

I noticed that the camera would make a chime sound over and over again because it restarted again and again.

You have the dreaded "boot looping of death" issue that is very common with the SG9665GC (and certain other) models that Street Guardian will claim is very rare (as they do with all common problems that customers report.) The camera is toast. It can not be fixed.

It happened to both of my SG9665GCs and I got nothing but lip service from jokiin and Street Guardian USA due to the fact that they were not happy that I had previously brought attention to other flaws in their products. Street Guardian tends to favor fanboys.

In any event, if you contact Street Guardian directly they will likely offer you a discount on a new camera which is their usual response to this well known issue. (It is possible that with jokiin's passing (SG's founder) that you will not be able to avail yourself of this option however.)

All in all, as dash cameras go, 7 years of service was a good run. :)

7 years are more than i would expect.

As the other guys said, if it is not the memory card, and i doubt that, then your camera have reached EOL ( End Of Life )

Take the card out, see if that stabilises, if not try another power source. If not could be the supercaps have failed and leaked.

I can't remember off the top of my head what caps they used then, possibly Nano Force E1A, I did do a cap replacement at some point on one camera and didn't have the same size on hand but used the Kamcap dual package that was used in the old Panorama cams.

As far as I know that camera is still going today since the replacement in 2019.

I've replaced lots of capacitors over the last few years in various tech. If your hearing is good you'll hear the high pitched noises as they start to fail.

Thank you all for your comments.

Based on your suggestions, my plan is as follows:

1) format SD card
2) replace SD card
3) reset cabling
4) change power source
5) buy a new street guardian

Indeed 7 years under heavy sun and tons of offroading can take its toll on any circuit. I'll let you know how it goes.

Take the card out, see if that stabilises, if not try another power source. If not could be the supercaps have failed and leaked.

I can't remember off the top of my head what caps they used then, possibly Nano Force E1A, I did do a cap replacement at some point on one camera and didn't have the same size on hand but used the Kamcap dual package that was used in the old Panorama cams.

As far as I know that camera is still going today since the replacement in 2019.

I've replaced lots of capacitors over the last few years in various tech. If your hearing is good you'll hear the high pitched noises as they start to fail.

Jokiin and his consigliere Street Guardian USA used to make customers with this problem do all kinds of troubleshooting with power supplies, memory cards, cables, etc., before they would finally offer a discounted replacement camera, although I don't recall them ever suggesting it was the supercaps. I can't recall a single instance where anyone reported that any of the "fix-it" suggestions worked long term and they knew that too. I'm guessing the same will prove true for @funcarfun.

It's not the supercaps. ............In fact, before I disposed of my dead SG9665GCs I saved the supercaps from both cameras as they were still good. Saved the lenses too.

I do recall that when I experienced this issue some of the suggested fix-its did seem to work for a while with both of my cameras but the problem would soon return. Eventually the problem would become persistent and not go away. Others reported this too. Whatever was causing the issue would at first be intermittent but then fail completely.

This is/was a VERY common problem with Street Guardian cameras, especially the GC. (a few other brands have had reports of the same issue but not as much as Street Guardian for some reason.)

As with all common issues reported to Street Guardian, they would swear up and down that this problem is "very rare". :rolleyes:

Here are a "few" examples. (there are more)

Last edited:
Based on the above and the age I'd be looking for a more modern replacement.

They sit in hot and cold windscreens so don't last forever.

Based on the above and the age I'd be looking for a more modern replacement.

They sit in hot and cold windscreens so don't last forever.

It's true that dash cams don't tend to last long compared to other products. They are more or less disposable items that last a few years at best, even if they happen to cost up to several hundred dollars. Somehow the dash cam industry has taught customers to become enured to this fact.

I have been saying this for a long time, repeatedly, but there is basically no reason why dash cameras can't be built to endure extremes of heat and cold without altering what they cost much or at all.

All that has to happen is that dash cams need to be built to the standards of common CCTV cameras which are built with "essentially" the same DSPs, sensors, lenses and other components as dash cams. Outdoor CCTV cameras run 24/7 in all kinds of extreme temperatures and weather conditions. They are also usually waterproof and vandal resistant which means they have no ventilation. Many high quality CCTV cameras happen to be in the same price range as dash cams. The CCTV cams on my home and business often sit baking in direct hot sunshine all day during the summer or are subjected to extreme cold temperatures, such as two days ago when it went down to - 18º Fahrenheit (-27.7778 °Celcius) where I live and they didn't skip a beat. Several have been running 24/7 for years. The oldest one was installed in 2009.

The difference between dash cams and CCTV cams is that CCTV cams are built to shed heat with the use of large cast aluminum heat sinks and the components are isolated inside of a very rigid chassis which can endure expansion and contraction as well as helping dissipate heat. The housings of CCTV cameras are often made from cast aluminum with cooling fins and designed to shed heat. Dash cams could be built to similar standards but the industry needs a paradigm shift. As it is, dash cams are more or less built to the standards of cheap consumer gadgets similar to a GameBoy, which is to say a circuit board and a few other components screwed into a small plastic housing.

Maybe if dash cams were built this way they wouldn't be quite as durable as CCTV cams because automotive environments and requirements are different as well as involving shocks and vibrations but there is no reason they can't be made much more durable than they currently are.

Edit: BTW, @viofo is the one dash cam manufacturer I am aware of to come closest to this concept with the use of heavy cast aluminum heat sinks in some of their cameras.

Last edited:
Back