Dashcam- Security issue.

PeteTheGreek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you, like me, leave your Dashcam in the car, are you ever concerned about the security breach had it get stolen?
A few weeks ago I had a discussion in the car with my wife. We discuss a lot of personal stuff in the car including financial stuff. We also make calls to banks etc.
I had an incident where I almost took the door of an idiots car, after he decided to open it on me.
Thinking I might of been partially to blame (wife said I should of been more to the right), I downloaded the footage. It was only at that point that I had realised that if my Dashcam were stolen out of the car it would reveal some very important audio. Audio that could put you at risk of becoming a victim of fraud.
The question is- shouldn't Dashcam audio be somehow pin protected?

If anyone steals my dashcam ( cam theft is not something that I'm aware of as being widespread) they can listen to the audio all they want. I hope they enjoy a wide range of music genres, a lot of seasonal sneezing, and a fair amount of uncouth belching. :D

If anyone steals my dashcam ( cam theft is not something that I'm aware of as being widespread) they can listen to the audio all they want. I hope they enjoy a wide range of music genres, a lot of seasonal sneezing, and a fair amount of uncouth belching. :D
I wonder how many people have been caught having affairs on them. Easy to forget it's there when your excited

Dashcam theft is a huge problem in Lincoln in the UK and growing elsewhere.

I'm not worried about it. I turn the microphone feature off because my girlfriend doesn't like it on when she rides with me. It's too much hassle turning it on and off whenever she rides in my car. If I forget to turn it off when we first get in my car, then I get to hear about it for five minutes. I do lose out on being able to call out license plates though.

If I'm in a rental car, then I do tend to pull the dash cam off the mount. I don't hardwire it in rental cars, so it stays turned off in parking mode. If it's not recording, then there's no benefit to leaving it on the windshield.

I'm not worried about it. I turn the microphone feature off because my girlfriend doesn't like it on when she rides with me. It's too much hassle turning it on and off whenever she rides in my car. If I forget to turn it off when we first get in my car, then I get to hear about it for five minutes. I do lose out on being able to call out license plates though.

If I'm in a rental car, then I do tend to pull the dash cam off the mount. I don't hardwire it in rental cars, so it stays turned off in parking mode. If it's not recording, then there's no benefit to leaving it on the windshield.
Only downside to that is, if your involved in roadrage and your threatened, you won't have any evidence. Or, if your pulled over by police you won't be able to prove what was said. It has its pluses besides just licence plates as you know.
Also, if there's a side impact, it will pick up the sound, recording the impact time and date. You will also have shouts, screams etc from within the car. All acts as vital evidence when pieced together.

In the UK only 2.2% of shed robberies are reported.
Most small crimes go unreported nowadays because ppl just don't see the point. You get a crime number for an hour on the phone and if you claim on your insurance, it rises sharply.
In Lincoln in the UK recently six vehicles had dashcams stolen and Derbyshire had issues too.
You won't get the stats for dashcam theft unless you do a survey of say 10000 drivers with dashcams.
You also have to remember that in the UK only one in four drivers use a Dashcam.
Also, if you like many, use a mobile hands free in the car, you may be surprised at the info logged by your Dashcam, including your home address on GPS, place of work, who you visit etc etc.

Only downside to that is, if your involved in roadrage and your threatened, you won't have any evidence. Or, if your pulled over by police you won't be able to prove what was said. It has its pluses besides just licence plates as you know.
Also, if there's a side impact, it will pick up the sound, recording the impact time and date. You will also have shouts, screams etc from within the car. All acts as vital evidence when pieced together.
Valid points, but the main thing I would be worried about is a side impact and I'm going to add some cameras on my side mirrors to provide additional coverage.

Before I had multiple cams I recorded audio on a separate device which I could decide what to do with. Now I have audio on some cams and not on others, and if I want there to be no audio it's an easy matter to make it disappear. But mostly I no longer care because I'm not going to call someone a "stupid SOB" unless they are one which video will prove is quite the truth, and thus my audio will highlight that fact. It's easy to make recordings or cards 'disappear' if I want that and with (too) many cams I've still got video. ;) I don't discuss matters in my vehicles which could do me serious harm should someone else become aware of them, and anyone wanting to ride with me accepts my conditions or doesn't ride with me.

Dashcam theft isn't a big thing where I live as there's no "black market" for them like you have for other stolen goods. GPS Satnavs were and are something which gets stolen, but only the fancy ones- no value in the cheap ones to a thief. Most thieves and moist people here know nearly nothing about dashcams anyway and aren't interested in them, so your biggest risk is probably having someone notice your cam stealing it because it might have recorded something they don't want to have seen. A stealthy install reduced that risk, and the risk of theft, greatly. But it is an issue in other places, so know your area and be "street smart" :cool: or having your dashcam stolen will be nothing compared to the other dangers you'll be facing :eek:

Phil

Before I had multiple cams I recorded audio on a separate device which I could decide what to do with. Now I have audio on some cams and not on others, and if I want there to be no audio it's an easy matter to make it disappear. But mostly I no longer care because I'm not going to call someone a "stupid SOB" unless they are one which video will prove is quite the truth, and thus my audio will highlight that fact. It's easy to make recordings or cards 'disappear' if I want that and with (too) many cams I've still got video. ;) I don't discuss matters in my vehicles which could do me serious harm should someone else become aware of them, and anyone wanting to ride with me accepts my conditions or doesn't ride with me.

Dashcam theft isn't a big thing where I live as there's no "black market" for them like you have for other stolen goods. GPS Satnavs were and are something which gets stolen, but only the fancy ones- no value in the cheap ones to a thief. Most thieves and moist people here know nearly nothing about dashcams anyway and aren't interested in them, so your biggest risk is probably having someone notice your cam stealing it because it might have recorded something they don't want to have seen. A stealthy install reduced that risk, and the risk of theft, greatly. But it is an issue in other places, so know your area and be "street smart" :cool: or having your dashcam stolen will be nothing compared to the other dangers you'll be facing :eek:

Phil
I agree.
I installed my dashcam behind the courtesy mirror so it's hard to notice. The rear one is behind tinted glass and an eV adjustment sorted image quality.

Back