Dashcam Setup (2xA119, Vico, Parking Mode)

thom2016

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have 2 A119s, Vico power plus, one Y splitter (for hooking the rear a119 into Vico) and a 15 foot USB.

I have the following questions:

1. Take a look at my driver side fuse panel. Where should I piggyback the Vico using that add-a-circuit thing? (Note: I am connecting two dashcams to Vico)

2. If I leave motion sensing on in my A119, can I get "parking Mode" functionality? I want to capture movement near my car.
Thanks for all the help!

I have not wired a Vico unit, by I have the PMP. I assume the Vico unit wants both a HOT ( always powered) and an ACC ( only powered while the ignition switch is on)

Personally I don't use anything that is safety related for the HOT power such as Brake lights, airbags, etc. In your picture I would assume that the DOME would be HOT all the time and something like the washers/wipers would be ACC. If there was a RADIO circuit that would be good for the ACC as well.

You can use motion sensing for a sort of poor mans parking mode, but it tends to affect normal ops, so you will need to manually turn it on and off. Doesn't really work too well as a parking mode.

I have not wired a Vico unit, by I have the PMP. I assume the Vico unit wants both a HOT ( always powered) and an ACC ( only powered while the ignition switch is on)

Personally I don't use anything that is safety related for the HOT power such as Brake lights, airbags, etc. In your picture I would assume that the DOME would be HOT all the time and something like the washers/wipers would be ACC. If there was a RADIO circuit that would be good for the ACC as well.

You can use motion sensing for a sort of poor mans parking mode, but it tends to affect normal ops, so you will need to manually turn it on and off. Doesn't really work too well as a parking mode.

Thanks for the reply! Can you tell me how motion sensing will affect normal operations? Currently I have it set for on (although it is useless right now)

Thanks for the reply! Can you tell me how motion sensing will affect normal operations? Currently I have it set for on (although it is useless right now)

With motion detection enabled, the camera will record until there is no motion detected for 60 seconds. I would assume that means it could stop recording if, for any reason, it didn't sense any motion during normal operation.

That said, it does recommend in the user manual: "Please do not turn on motion detection unless your vehicle is parked. If motion detection is enabled while driving, the camera may not continuously record."

Yes, exactly what Hiccups said.....for example sitting at a traffic light your camera may stop recording.

in my experience, the A119 motion detect is quite good. I can be in traffic and have no gaps in recording at all. and this is while sitting in San Francisco traffic. probably because the "time-out" to stop recording is a minute or so. when I'm parked, it will usually capture a vehicle traveling at 15 MPH at about the first 1/4 of the frame. it's very acceptable for my uses.

Last edited:
my concern would be straight, boring sections of interstate highway (for example) where you don't see much overall movement in the scene for sometimes long stretches of time. i don't trust motion detection to keep the camera recording in situations like that. then again the a119 is a much more capable camera than my previous ones so maybe it's fine. i haven't tested it.

i saw a camera on amazon the other day that looked like a g1w, except it was powered from the OBD port. so because of that, it knew when the car was running or not, plus it could read some OBD data and put it into the video. apparently it automatically switched to parking mode (running at 1-5fps) with the engine off and switched back to normal 30fps when you start it again. i thought that was a pretty neat feature, but i didn't see whether the camera had any sort of battery drain prevention feature. and you can't exactly add one there - the obd port is live all the time in most vehicles.

I'm with you Gibson. I would absolutely not trust my old mini 0801 to capture non-stop on motion detect. the mini 0805 and A119 are about on par as far as sensitivity and I've tested them pretty intensively in that regard. I like the A119 more because the time-out is a minute as opposed to the 10 seconds that the mini 0805 has. and I think that makes a huge difference when it comes to capturing the whole drive.

OK, how about this for a feature request @viofo? this one might be a stretch though.

What if instead of simply stopping recording, motion detect would switch between full speed and low-fps recording? then you would just rename "motion detect" to "parking mode".

when the camera sees motion, it would record at whatever the user set in the menu - 2k30, 1080p60, 720p30, whatever... but when it does NOT detect motion and after the timeout, it would stay at the same resolution and drop to 2-3fps. Then to let the user know the camera is switching modes, it can show a message on screen and/or beep to tell which mode is active. maybe the red REC led could start flashing slowly to indicate parking mode. It should continue recording audio (if the user has the mic turned on) to maybe hear details like another car bumping/scraping yours, or people talking - things like "oh crap, let's get out of here before he comes back!"

even if it wasn't just for parking mode, this would be better insurance so that there's SOME recording going on for rare cases like i described (boring straight highway where nothing much is really changing in the scene), instead of no recording at all.

it would also be useful if those low-FPS recordings could be stored in a separate folder on the SD card (ie: PARK, stored at the same level as the RO folder), or maybe if they had PARK added to the beginning of the filenames so they will sort easier. this might complicate loop recording though. one solution could be to only use 10% of the total SD card space for PARK files before it starts looping the PARK files (since low FPS = small files). For example, if you have a 32gb card, then it will keep 3.2gb of PARK files, and a 64gb card would keep 6.4gb of PARK files.

During parking mode, only the PARK files would be looped/overwritten, and during normal driving, the regular videos would be looped/overwritten. RO/lock files should still work the same way whether you're in parking mode or normal mode.

I guess the only hiccup is, any time it sees motion, it will go to normal recording mode at full FPS. As long as there isn't a long delay when switching between low-fps and full speed (30/60fps), this could work out great. of course in a busy parking lot where the camera sees a lot of motion, it may never go into parking mode at all. UNLESS...

I have a Blacksys CF-100 which has parking mode, but it does not have separate BATT and ACC wires - just one power and one ground - so it has no way to know if the ignition is turned on. it uses a combination of g-sensor and motion detection to switch between parking and normal mode. if it doesn't "feel" any movement AND doesn't see any motion for 5 minutes, it switches to parking mode and starts recording/looping in the PARK folder instead of the NORMAL folder. as soon as it feels motion or sees enough motion (ie: camera-car slowly moving in traffic or a drive-thru), it switches back to normal recording mode. it doesn't seem to be more sensitive to g-sensor during parking mode - it won't lock any files. when i get back in the car after the camera has gone to parking mode, i usually hear it say "Parking mode is ending" right as i get into the seat, meaning that it's switching to normal driving mode because it "felt" something w/ the g-sensor. it never locks the file due to me just opening or closing the door. and in fact i've never seen an EVENT (same as RO) file that came from parking mode. so if someone does hit my car while it's parked, i'll have to sit there and go through all the videos in the PARK folder till i find what i'm looking for. So hopefully i would have some idea of the time/date that it happened, so i'm not looking through tons of really boring footage. but i'll take that over having NO idea who hit my car! if there's a chance i can get proof and then make them pay for my damages, it will be worth it.

anyway... i don't know if the a119 has a good enough g-sensor to do that, but this might be worth looking into, for a complete and true parking mode solution.

I like the concept. Maybe also have an option to turn on/off motion detection. With motion detection off, parking mode would only record at the lower FPS. Could be useful when parking in high activity areas for longer periods of time, where you have the probability of overwriting your card before you get back to the vehicle.

OK, how about this for a feature request @viofo? this one might be a stretch though.

What if instead of simply stopping recording, motion detect would switch between full speed and low-fps recording? then you would just rename "motion detect" to "parking mode".

when the camera sees motion, it would record at whatever the user set in the menu - 2k30, 1080p60, 720p30, whatever... but when it does NOT detect motion and after the timeout, it would stay at the same resolution and drop to 2-3fps. Then to let the user know the camera is switching modes, it can show a message on screen and/or beep to tell which mode is active. maybe the red REC led could start flashing slowly to indicate parking mode. It should continue recording audio (if the user has the mic turned on) to maybe hear details like another car bumping/scraping yours, or people talking - things like "oh crap, let's get out of here before he comes back!"

even if it wasn't just for parking mode, this would be better insurance so that there's SOME recording going on for rare cases like i described (boring straight highway where nothing much is really changing in the scene), instead of no recording at all.

it would also be useful if those low-FPS recordings could be stored in a separate folder on the SD card (ie: PARK, stored at the same level as the RO folder), or maybe if they had PARK added to the beginning of the filenames so they will sort easier. this might complicate loop recording though. one solution could be to only use 10% of the total SD card space for PARK files before it starts looping the PARK files (since low FPS = small files). For example, if you have a 32gb card, then it will keep 3.2gb of PARK files, and a 64gb card would keep 6.4gb of PARK files.

During parking mode, only the PARK files would be looped/overwritten, and during normal driving, the regular videos would be looped/overwritten. RO/lock files should still work the same way whether you're in parking mode or normal mode.

I guess the only hiccup is, any time it sees motion, it will go to normal recording mode at full FPS. As long as there isn't a long delay when switching between low-fps and full speed (30/60fps), this could work out great. of course in a busy parking lot where the camera sees a lot of motion, it may never go into parking mode at all. UNLESS...

I have a Blacksys CF-100 which has parking mode, but it does not have separate BATT and ACC wires - just one power and one ground - so it has no way to know if the ignition is turned on. it uses a combination of g-sensor and motion detection to switch between parking and normal mode. if it doesn't "feel" any movement AND doesn't see any motion for 5 minutes, it switches to parking mode and starts recording/looping in the PARK folder instead of the NORMAL folder. as soon as it feels motion or sees enough motion (ie: camera-car slowly moving in traffic or a drive-thru), it switches back to normal recording mode. it doesn't seem to be more sensitive to g-sensor during parking mode - it won't lock any files. when i get back in the car after the camera has gone to parking mode, i usually hear it say "Parking mode is ending" right as i get into the seat, meaning that it's switching to normal driving mode because it "felt" something w/ the g-sensor. it never locks the file due to me just opening or closing the door. and in fact i've never seen an EVENT (same as RO) file that came from parking mode. so if someone does hit my car while it's parked, i'll have to sit there and go through all the videos in the PARK folder till i find what i'm looking for. So hopefully i would have some idea of the time/date that it happened, so i'm not looking through tons of really boring footage. but i'll take that over having NO idea who hit my car! if there's a chance i can get proof and then make them pay for my damages, it will be worth it.

anyway... i don't know if the a119 has a good enough g-sensor to do that, but this might be worth looking into, for a complete and true parking mode solution.

some of your ideas are possible but some development time will be needed before this is possible

Oh definitely. I would be amazed if they could implement something like this in less than a month or two, unless they had already been working on it.

Nice suggestion, recently we are also thinking about the parking mode on A119.

In motion detection mode, it automatically switch to time-lapse mode should be no problem, like after 5mins no motion detected.

Even I thought the menu button to take a snapshot while recording is not very useful, maybe it is better to use it to fast switch to motion detection mode.

I would love to see a time-lapse parking mode on the A119, as I'm currently testing out a ddpai unit and the parking mode sure seems like a nice feature to have as long as you have a constant power source and possibly a voltage cutoff for hardwire kits.

...better to use it to fast switch to motion detection mode
Definitely. This is the setting I'd most often like to change, and a fast, easy way to do that would be most welcome.

It would pretty much require loop mode to be active, so maybe the ability to turn off loop mode should be taken away. It is a dashcam after all, not an action cam. The dashcams I've had that have parking mode don't let you turn off loop recording.

It would pretty much require loop mode to be active, so maybe the ability to turn off loop mode should be taken away. It is a dashcam after all, not an action cam. The dashcams I've had that have parking mode don't let you turn off loop recording.

ability to disable loop recording makes no sense in these which is why we remove that option in our cameras

Back