DashCam sign in car?

harrym1byt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I 'm thinking it might be a good idea to make up a sign to put in my car's rear screen, warning that a camera is in use. The idea being to curb potential bad behavior on the road.

Something similar to 'Smile your on YouTube'. Has anyone any thoughts on the subject, or alternative ideas for the text of the sign?

I caught one incident within one hour of installing the cam and yesterday managed to work out how to edit it and post it up on Youtube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKnvIQ33xpA

Last edited by a moderator:
harrym1byt said:
I 'm thinking it might be a good idea to make up a sign to put in my car's rear screen, warning that a camera is in use. The idea being to curb potential bad behavior on the road.

It has been talked about on an older post here

It is generally considered a negative to do so for a number of reasons.

Advertising that you have a DashCam can....

Make your car become a target for break ins to steal it.
People are less likely to not steal what they can not see. This is why a lot of users want something small and out of the way and do things like tape over the useless IR lights.

Make other drivers nervous.
People seeing a sticker can cause a little confusion or make others become distracted

Keep you from getting interesting footage.
While i do believe that a DashCam is a personal safety device first and not really a form of entertainment It is interesting to capture different things from time to time,

Possibly bring more unwanted attention to your car.
Guys have been stopped on sport bikes with helmet cams because police believed they used them to film dangerous driving. If you drive a nicer car that is built to go fast the last thing you want is unwanted attention. Just because someone owns a car that can do 145 miles an hour easy does not mean they are always speeding everywhere.

There have been a few times where people have gone to steal my turn at a stop sign seen my camera and waited, and there has been one time more recently when someone had ran a red light. Almost hit me blew their horn then seen my camera and apologized, but i prefer and would suggest to keep things closer to on the discrete side. I'm not far enough to say something like stay away from a bigger sized camera because it is to big and can more easily been seen, but i would not go out of my way to make it known that i have a camera inside my car.

^^^ Yeah, that.
Looking at your video, that moron would still have driven like he did - since they are going too fast, they would never be able to see your sign.
Let's face it, the morons out there completely ignore legal signage when they are driving, so why would they calm down for a dashcam sign?

sludgeguts said:
^^^ Yeah, that.
Looking at your video, that moron would still have driven like he did - since they are going too fast, they would never be able to see your sign.
Let's face it, the morons out there completely ignore legal signage when they are driving, so why would they calm down for a dashcam sign?

It's funny you mention that just reminded me of this video.

At around 2:20.
"Knowing that this guy is out there does he want to make you drive safer"
"No I'm just Italian"

You do not need to make a sticker, unless you just want to, as they are available ready made. Do a search online' my favorite is this one from Korea:
http://www.tomatoanp.co.kr/en/front/sho ... e=00000094
the black and yellow make it stand out. But as some have stated it might draw unwanted attention.

As usual Amazon has a load of solutions to life's questions, at a price. :)

Ya I agree with @CheckYourLights. I prefer to record secretly and not draw attention. Smash and grabs are common here, so the more discreet the better. I can even see a cop pulling you over just because of that sign. Where I live people are a bit crazy, maybe someone gets upset that you're filming him, doesn't want you to and retaliates. Maybe all this is location specific yet in this location that sign won't help.

What's crazy about the video is after all his craziness he gained one car length. I had a similar situation today, the women beeped at me as she drove almost into the curb on the opposite side of the road into oncoming traffic. All this for one car length, where she stayed most of the trip

I don't have a sticker and wouldn't fit a sticker to my car.
Firstly, they advertise the presence of something that can be stolen. Secondly, I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of my vehicle acting as some kind of moderator on other people's driving. Having a camera to record events when driving for your own benefit is one thing. Driving around proclaiming "Hey! I've got a camera, you'd better behave or..." or what? Some people are easily provoked, and if you inadvertantly drive past some illegal activity and one of the offenders notice your "You are being recorded" sticker, you might find that you are regarded as a threat to some bad people. I appreciate that this is somewhat of a worse-case scenario, but it's the kind of thinking that made me fit a dashcam to my car in the first place. Even in the event of an accident, I wouldn't point out I've got a camera. I'd stand in front of my car and try and get the other driver on camera. The first they would know about it, (assuming they didn't spot the GW1 in my dash) would be when the insurance people contacted them.

The only benefit I can see of a sign in my car would be to deter crash/flash for cash criminals from targeting my vehicle for their scam, which IS a useful benefit. In which case having the sticker and not the camera would be a good option. :)

Last edited:
Back