Dashcam Suggestions?

Casey8522

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apparently in Delaware we aren’t allowed to have dash cams mounted on our windshield or mirrors. So are there any recommendations for ones that can be mounted on the dashboard or ones that have the option to flip the video vertically? I’ve been searching for hours and can’t find one

Have a look at BOBLOV W2 Mini Camera, it has a dashboard holder.

Apparently in Delaware we aren’t allowed to have dash cams mounted on our windshield or mirrors. So are there any recommendations for ones that can be mounted on the dashboard or ones that have the option to flip the video vertically? I’ve been searching for hours and can’t find one

Many states have laws on the books that technically make it illegal to attach items such as dash cams to your windshield, certain areas of your windshield or your rear view mirror, but with the advent of toll transponders, radar detectors, GPS units, dash cameras, etc., these statutes are simply no longer being enforced in many jurisdictions.

This was the case in my home state of Vermont where I spent the first few years of dash cam ownership worrying that I might get ticketed and fined for the dash cam I first installed, but I noticed more and more vehicles with electronics and other items mounted on their windshields. Eventually, I started asking random motorists if they ever encountered any legal problems because of this and nobody did. Most didn't even know there was a law against it. At one point, I had a matter where I had to submit a number of dash cam videos to the police and they didn't seem to have any problem with my having dash cams. Finally, by coincidence I found myself parked next to the personal vehicle of the local Chief of Police at the supermarket and he had a dash cam mounted on his windshield (a cheap crappy one :D). That's when I decided not to worry about this anymore. I've been using dash cams for more than ten years now and these days I see dash cams and other devices mounted on windshields in vehicles all the time but nobody seems to have any problems and the law is still on the books.

I would suggest looking around and observing other cars in your area to see how many cars are sporting dash cams, GPS units, toll transponders etc, and then perhaps talk to other drivers you encounter who do have something mounted in their vehicles. You might even ask a random LEO or two for an opinion. You may well find you don't need to worry about this issue.

Last edited:
Here in SC you're OK with mounting as long as it doesn't block the driver's view. They don't specify exactly how that 'blockage; would be determined. You're prohibited from using any non-factory device unless it is a driving aid or is for monitoring car functions. Cell phones are covered separately; no texting Statewide but phone use is permitted both hand-held and hands-free.

Since I occasionally view my recordings to see if I need to improve my driving skills on certain things I will claim my dashcams as permissible "driving aids" thus they are legal since they don't block any part of my view needed to drive safely.

Phil

How about using a mirror dashcam? Just attach it over the existing rearview mirror.
1640574521173.png

I tried one of those mirror dash cams for about a week. I did not care for it as I had another one that you could see license plates with.
I have had a radar detector in my car and my truck mounted to the front windshield for over 20 years here in California, never had any issues.

Back