Dashcam that can be positioned with a steep angled windshield

Bailey Lake

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was in a crash a little over a month ago which was not my fault. I then got rear ended in my rental car while my car was in the shop. Needless to say, I need a dashcam. I bought a Nextbase 522gw with the telephoto rear camera. I just finished setting it up but when I went to my car, I could not position in so that it was capturing what was right in front of me. It was pointing up too much. If the power cable didn't plug in where it does, I would have had the few millimeters I needed to position in correctly.

So, I thought before I bought something else, I would check here. I want front and rear. I prefer something discreet with good video quality and reliability being the most important features. Obviously it would need flexibility in positioning. By the way, I have a 2013 Subaru Forester.

Thanks for you help. Off to return the Nextbase.

Most wedge shaped cameras should accommodate a steep angled screen (they can be used on near-vertical windows). SG9663DC and Viofo A129 are two such options.

Thinkware and BlackVue make cylinder type cameras where the whole body rotates (or at least the lens part of the front camera). They also have dual channel versions available.

Look in the 2020 Best Dash Cams page at dual and 4K cameras for some ideas:
https://dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2020/

Welcome to DCT @Bailey Lake :)

Some folks have used plastic wedges to increase the cam angles. You might find something suitable online or at your local hardware store being sold as furniture levelers. You could also have something 3-D printed for this or adapt another material for this use. Most of the better 2-channel wedge cams and many of those with other form-factors can work OK on highly sloped windshields, or can be mounted to sensor housings to get the desired view. Just be sure it's an area covered by the wipers so it functions in all weather conditions.

Just curious but where did you get the Nextbase? They haven't been marketed here in the past, but are mainly sold in the UK and western Europe I believe.

Phil

Good suggestions. Thanks. I did manage to fiddle around with it enough to get acceptable views both front and back without it interfering with me seeing out the windshield. I thought about some kind of wedge that would help positioning and I still might do that after I try it out for a few days first. I'm in the US in Minnesota (a state with laws about where you can put things on your windshield) and got this at Best Buy. I think they have a few models available on their website. I like the rear camera and the suction mount as I can use it in rental cars too. Speaking of rental cars, It would be nice to find a shorter cable for an impermanent installation.

Walmart sells Nextbase online and at their stores.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nextbase-222-Dash-Camera/946842512

Lol, I guess you can tell I don't do Walmart much. After seeing some of the POWM pics I no longer feel comfortable associating with the place as I'm sometimes prone to nausea attacks :rolleyes:I do recall Tiffany from Nextbase UK saying some time ago that their cams were going to be sold in the US soon but this is the first I've seen or heard of it. I do worry about their newest series of cams as some have been reported with what I feel are serious problems that remain unresolved. It should amount to many more people having dashcams so overall it's a good thing for Walmart and the rest of the world I guess.

Phil

Back