Dashcam that is able to connect to home server.

rockofclay

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was looking for a camera similar to the Blueskysea B1W, that would automatically connect to my home WiFi when I park. I can have an access point right next to the car and a directional antenna if need be, so range isn't an issue. Apparently the B1W uploads it's videos in realtime, which wouldn't be ideal, as a 5 hour road trip would take 5 hours to upload. Does anyone have any idea of a camera that can do this? I think it might be the type of thing that would require root SSH access to the camera.

There's no camera that has wifi fast enough to be practical unless you drive a little and park a lot, may not be as convenient but pulling the card out is always going to be quicker

When WIFI get faster in future cameras, and so make this a option, i think makers would be wise to make this a option, many seem to request it.
I like myself but not for total backup, i can personally make do with just the new files in the RO folder, cuz even if it is easy / automated i still see no reason to save everything i record.
But events i have saved by pressing the button would be nice, cuz i often forget to bring the damn SD card with me.

Reactions: Mtz
Dang, that sucks. I might have to roll my own with a pi.
Instead of rolling your own camera that can connect to your home network, it is probably easier to roll your own device to connect to the B1W and collect the videos, then make them available on your home network.

Although I'm not sure how you would access the videos on the B1W, easier to use a camera with a published interface such as the Viofo cameras.

Can you access these by usb? If not using USB cameras on a pi4 would be easier.

Can you access these by usb? If not using USB cameras on a pi4 would be easier.

Connecting to B1w's via usb could work, with slight complication to work around. The B1W goes into mass storage mode to read/write to/from the data card when usb cable is connected to a computer (or pi I suppose). However, if you use additional IO port(s) on the pi to switch relay(s) used to connect/interrupt to the data line(s) of the usb cable, then you might be able to programmatically switch the B1W between recording mode and mass storage mode without having to manually move cables around yourself.

When WIFI get faster in future cameras, and so make this a option, i think makers would be wise to make this a option, many seem to request it.
I like myself but not for total backup, i can personally make do with just the new files in the RO folder, cuz even if it is easy / automated i still see no reason to save everything i record.
But events i have saved by pressing the button would be nice, cuz i often forget to bring the damn SD card with me.
The fast download Wi-Fi speed camera should be A129 pro, the 5GHz speed is up to 9MB/s.

The fast download Wi-Fi speed camera should be A129 pro, the 5GHz speed is up to 9MB/s.
That is slow, I've downloaded a 1GB file from the A129 Pro wifi at an average speed of 12MBytes/s, doesn't always go that fast, but the USB cable is not much faster.

Reactions: Mtz
Damn, that's a nice looking camera. H265 encoding is nice, but at ~$400 AUD, I'd be worried someone would recognise it and smash a window just for the camera. It's not the most discrete thing in the world.

Viofo A129 is very very discrete if you will mount a CPL filter and your windshield have black dotted area around rear view mirror and mount the dashcam there. In these conditions the wedge design cameras like Viofo or Street Guardian are the most invisible.

enjoy,
Mtz

Back