Dashcam that supports large sd card / automatically uploads all files to cloud etc / and or doesn’t loop.

Bob1986

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the uk and I am looking for a dashcam that will record long term ,maybe one week worth of daily driving without overwriting the old clips.

Or one that supports large sd card and doesn’t loop over so I can manually save my clips

Or one that will automatically upload all my day or week files to cloud or similar storage.

Not that I have to do manually one at a time etc or it only saves it under heavy breaking / event etc

I drive a lot for work and would like to keep previous footage from the last week or even month at a time.

Looking at blackvue cams

Had a nextbase 622 but was glitchy and only took sd card to max 128gb.

Thanks

would generate huge amounts of data, uploading it all isn't really practical which is why you won't see that as an option in 99% of the market

I know that in London, Arriva buses at Wood Green had a similar system to what you want.

The on bus CCTV would record all to a HDD whilst on the road then when the bus entered the garage door 'loop' it would trigger an offload to the garage systems. It worked well.

I suppose what you need is something similar when you got to within striking distance of your wifi.

The only snag is that current wifi downloads only tend to use small lower quality files.

I know that in London, Arriva buses at Wood Green had a similar system to what you want.

The on bus CCTV would record all to a HDD whilst on the road then when the bus entered the garage door 'loop' it would trigger an offload to the garage systems. It worked well.

I suppose what you need is something similar when you got to within striking distance of your wifi.

The only snag is that current wifi downloads only tend to use small lower quality files.
those commercial system are not particularly high quality either, lowering the quality allows them to reduce the file sizes etc

would generate huge amounts of data, uploading it all isn't really practical which is why you won't see that as an option in 99% of the market
The market is oriented towards dumb consumer, no surprise here. One can store the RTSP stream broadcasted over wifi on an external device, or even connect an external NAS over GigE
on certain (consumer) dashcams.

I am in the uk and I am looking for a dashcam that will record long term ,maybe one week worth of daily driving without overwriting the old clips.

Or one that supports large sd card and doesn’t loop over so I can manually save my clips
How many hours of driving in a week? A 512GB card can hold over 72 hours of video at 16Mbps for a single channel, about 36 hours for dual channel.

How many hours of driving in a week? A 512GB card can hold over 72 hours of video at 16Mbps for a single channel, about 36 hours for dual channel.
Prob like 21-25 hours a week. Just done available so expensive glitchy and complicated.

I just want to be in charge of my own sd card that becomes full and then I save that to my pc library and put fresh card in

Or camera that automatically uploads all files to a storage cloud. Without my having to create event it brake hard etc.

I may need the files at later date t
Due to divorce and false allegations etc xxx

Most of the better cams can use a 512GB card although some manufacturers may advertise a smaller number. Forum members here usually have a thread (or several) on compatible cards for each cam, so look at those for the cam you'd like to get. Just be sure the recommendations are recent as some cards have changed over time.

Phil

Thanks. I need to know what cameras are available that support 512gb but also do not loop over earlier recordings ?? Xxx

Thanks. I need to know what cameras are available that support 512gb but also do not loop over earlier recordings ?? Xxx
that would be very hard to find, not too many cameras support 512GB, no decent camera has an option to turn loop off, the ones that do typically only support small memory sizes

What you have suggested I would assume everyone on here would love to have that ability unfortunately dash cameras for consumer are not like that or designed for that sort of accessibility

The best you will get. I would buy the Black Vue 900X stick a 256GB SD card in there and use the Cloud features and set the camera to upload clips of bumps impacts or motion detection while driving or while in parking mode via the Black Vue CM100LTE cloud-based accessory.

I am buying the Black Vue CM100LTE but I will only upload an impact or when the motion detection is activated during parking mode only in case someone tries to steal the dash camera or there is an impact. Mind you I will be going with a pre-loaded 3 sim deal 24GB with 2 years longevity you can of course use the Vodaphone V Sim that comes with the CM100LTE and that costs £4 per month and allows 40GB data to be saved to cloud based storage, to me that is something that would be the best of what you are looking for. I will only need the cloud features at the weekends when parked in public areas as my car is always parked at home or in a secure lockup at work so I wont be needing to sue the cloud all the time as there is no need I will only really need the cloud features at the weekends so I wont be using much data at all handy though.

If you truly want to save everything, I'd suggest using a Blackvue dashcam that connects to your home WiFi and then run third party software that can automatically grab all the video footage over the cloud.

If you run Windows, this software would work.

If you own a Synology NAS, you can check out this script.

I have a system of 3 cards. I have 1 in the camera, 1 in a small USB card reader to carry around, and 1 in a USB3 card reader. It doesn't take long to swap the card over, and copy them to my hard drive. I have all my footage from ~8 years now. I don't do massive driving hours a week though.

The only issue I have is the occasional dash back inside when I get in and realise I forgot to turn off my PMP, and it's recorded 6 hours of driveway footage ...

If you truly want to save everything, I'd suggest using a Blackvue dashcam that connects to your home WiFi and then run third party software that can automatically grab all the video footage over the cloud.

If you run Windows, this software would work.

Exactly what I do, and exactly the software that I use. Works like a charm.

When I want to review footage, I just open the viewer on my laptop.

Especially good for the BV cams as getting the card out is PITA.

TruckX Cloud Dashcam​

In the event of a serious accident, collision, or improper driving behavior, the video will be automatically transmitted to the cloud. With a 4G connection, you can get faster data speeds and larger network coverage, allowing you to respond or take action immediately.
MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpg

Back