Dashcam turning off and on randomly and missing incidents.

Wonder White

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. I'm being harassed by a group of people (very long story) and I bought my dashcam (Blackvue 750s 2ch) on the advice of the Police so they can start charging some of my harassers. Had an incident yesterday when a car in front of me started acting strangely for no reason; going slow, not letting me past, changing lanes abruptly, and I strongly suspected it was one of that group (they all use different cars, and the group is so large that I don't know when they're around until something actually happens). The dashcam didn't record it!!! ARGH!!!

I reviewed the footage to give to the Police this morning. The dashcam shows that it was on and recording when I left home, but about 10 minutes into the drive, it suddenly stopped (without me knowing) and didn't start up again until 25 minutes later when I parked the car. It was in those 25 minutes that the car in front of me was being offensive. At the time I thought, a-ha! Gotcha! Clear plate, everything that was happening in front of me was close to the front of the car, plate was clearly visible. I went to download it to give to the Police - but it didn't record anything!!! :-( :-(

Had the same thing happen when someone parked a car just down the street from our house. No one lives down there and there's nothing to visit. The car was parked there for 48 hours, with a clear view of our driveway, and then it left. I know 48hrs is how long the dashcam can record for (without the engine on, and with the internal powerpack - which I have) before the battery runs out. As I had seen this same car going around in front of our house regularly and it definitely isn't any of the neighbours, I was suspicious that it had been parked there to keep an eye on our house for when we come and go. I drove my car slowly past it, and close to it, to get the plate on the dashcam and show where it was parked. I went to retrieve the footage, and the dashcam hadn't started recording until 5 minutes later!! There was no footage of it! My car had started up, left the garage, and been driven for 5 minutes before it started recording anything. Thank god I actually wrote down the numberplate! As it is now, I don't have any footage to show the Police.

I have noticed that when I start the car the spoken message, 'Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording', doesn't always announce itself when I turn the car on. Sometimes does it, sometimes not. Often I'll flip the sun visor to check that the recording light is actually on and blinking, and it always has been when I've checked it, wether it has announced the message or not.

Anyone else had this happen? Anyone know why this might be happening? The SD cards have been formatted and cleared regularly, one is 16GB, the other is 32GB and they're both authentic Blackvue branded cards. The dashcam was bought about 3 or 4 months ago.

Thanks.

Those symptoms usually point toward a card problem, but sometimes can be resolved by changing the length of the files being recorded. I'mk not familiar with this cam well enough to know if there's such an option in the menu for this change but if there is that's what I'd try first. The Blackvue branded cards are overpriced which is why many don't use them, but they are generally reliable. It wouldn't hurt to check them with the h2testw freeware, doing a full overwrite. You may also have a power supply issue- likely a poor ground connection if there- so make certain that all is good with it as not every bolt in today's plastic-riddled cars provides a good grounding point. Also be sure where you've tapped for the positive wire is behaving as expected- again modern cars with their computer-controlled power schemes can often behave in unexpected ways. It's not likly that the cam is bad but it's a possibility too so make certain the basics are right before going for the warranty.

Phil

For a 2 channel camera you should at least have a 128 GB memory card.

When you look at your memory cards how old are the latest recordings ? you could have very old events on there ( taking up memory space ) and so not much room for regular recordings, so with a small card like that and lots of event files present you might only have minutes worth of regular driving footage.
If you have no event files taking up memory space a 32 GB card will only give you a few hours stored, 128 GB will give you 8 hours from each camera so 16 hours actual footage or 2 X 8 hours as it is sort of the same the 2 cameras record just in each direction.
If you have something like parking guard or other form of event creation going on, that create locked files and those take away from the amount of memory space available for regular recordings.

So my recommendations are.

1. make sure you don't have g sensor and stuff like that on.
2. get a larger memory card, if you use parking guard this is a must and it is almost the case where 128 GB might be a too small memory card for that.
3. for regular events while driving / bad driving / harassment ASO use the manual event button, and move the event off the memory card as fast as you can ( copy via wifi to phone or to PC at home using a card reader )
4. if it is a option with your camera ( me not familiar with blackvue cameras ) assign some smaller percentage of the memory card for event files, if you have a 128 Gb card you might want the 40 or so of those GB set aside for events.

Ideal, yes. But "Should have at least". No. A 32GB card is ok. It just won't record a lot of stuff.
The BV750 announces verbally when it switches on and off. OP says that it's not always doing that. So it seems that either he has a SD card problem (Unlikely as the BV nags you to "Check SD Card" incessantly) or possibly a connection problem..
OP has not said whether or not he has a Power Magic Pro hardwire kit fitted as these can cause problems.
Your points:
1. Irrelevant whilst driving. Other than if set too low, a whole bunch of 50 E files will be recorded and the opldest overwritten.
2. Not particularly relevant for OP's present problem as long as he formats the card in use regularly. And it seems he is not using a parking mode. His problem occurs sometimes whilst setting off and driving.
3. There is only one on the 750 if you set the left hand proximity button to do that (Page 64)
4. Can be set to save a max of 50 Event or Manual files (Page 59)

Thanks Phil, I'll check how long the files are recorded for and change it around a bit, see if it makes a difference. It has a 16 GB card, and I've bought a 32 GB to go in there too (for an eye-watering $80.00 AUS!). Will track down a good auto sparky and get the earth checked when the world becomes more normal!

Hi Kamkar and M8TJT, thanks for the help! I am using the parking mode time-lapse with the Power Magic Pro. Instructions say 27 hrs recording on a 16 GB card, althought I read elswewhere that its meant to be 48hrs for a 16GB card? Advice seems to differ. Think I should have bought that 128 GB card instead.

I'll check the G sensor, last time I looked it was on and works. I often get the 'impact was detected during parking mode' message a lot, I'm guessing it's too sensitive as it seems to think opening or closing the car door is an impact!

When I have had a serious event, I've used the manual touch (covering the end of the cylinder with my hand, and it announces 'manual recording on') and I've set it to keep that file as LOCKED so it won't be over-written. In saying that, the last few times I've just unplugged the cam and removed the card to make sure!

I'm now watching the dashcam recording 'on' red light while I'm driving, to see when the recording light turns off. It hasn't so far.

I do say though, I was musing about it, and I didn't have a problem with the dashcam turning off before while I was driving UNTIL I started using the time-lapse parking mode. Makes me think the powerpack might be draining to a point where the dashcam cycles itself off while driving afterwards? I'll have to test this and see.

Normally a 32GB card on a 2-channel cam will give you around 2 hours recording time, which is enough to handle a single event and more. The time numbers you've quoted might be for time-lapse mode which would use less card space/time. The problem is that the smaller cards 'loop' more often, and wear out faster because of that. Not sure where you're getting your cards from, but $80 AUS seems very overpriced- a 128GB Samsung EVO select from Amazon US goes for under half that amount. Still with a new or young card that shouldn't be a problem yet. You're probably on the right track with seeing if time-lapse mode is part of the issue- I don't know exactly how that functions with this cam but if it's using motion detect or non-movement from a GPS to activate that, then it could be a firmware fault- reflashing or updating that might help.

I'm kind of at a loss at this point so I'll leave it to those more familiar with the cam- several folks here know it well and should be able to get you sorted out soon!

Phil

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here. I'm being harassed by a group of people (very long story) and I bought my dashcam (Blackvue 750s 2ch) on the advice of the Police so they can start charging some of my harassers. Had an incident yesterday when a car in front of me started acting strangely for no reason; going slow, not letting me past, changing lanes abruptly, and I strongly suspected it was one of that group (they all use different cars, and the group is so large that I don't know when they're around until something actually happens). The dashcam didn't record it!!! ARGH!!!

I reviewed the footage to give to the Police this morning. The dashcam shows that it was on and recording when I left home, but about 10 minutes into the drive, it suddenly stopped (without me knowing) and didn't start up again until 25 minutes later when I parked the car. It was in those 25 minutes that the car in front of me was being offensive. At the time I thought, a-ha! Gotcha! Clear plate, everything that was happening in front of me was close to the front of the car, plate was clearly visible. I went to download it to give to the Police - but it didn't record anything!!! :-( :-(

Had the same thing happen when someone parked a car just down the street from our house. No one lives down there and there's nothing to visit. The car was parked there for 48 hours, with a clear view of our driveway, and then it left. I know 48hrs is how long the dashcam can record for (without the engine on, and with the internal powerpack - which I have) before the battery runs out. As I had seen this same car going around in front of our house regularly and it definitely isn't any of the neighbours, I was suspicious that it had been parked there to keep an eye on our house for when we come and go. I drove my car slowly past it, and close to it, to get the plate on the dashcam and show where it was parked. I went to retrieve the footage, and the dashcam hadn't started recording until 5 minutes later!! There was no footage of it! My car had started up, left the garage, and been driven for 5 minutes before it started recording anything. Thank god I actually wrote down the numberplate! As it is now, I don't have any footage to show the Police.

I have noticed that when I start the car the spoken message, 'Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording', doesn't always announce itself when I turn the car on. Sometimes does it, sometimes not. Often I'll flip the sun visor to check that the recording light is actually on and blinking, and it always has been when I've checked it, wether it has announced the message or not.

Anyone else had this happen? Anyone know why this might be happening? The SD cards have been formatted and cleared regularly, one is 16GB, the other is 32GB and they're both authentic Blackvue branded cards. The dashcam was bought about 3 or 4 months ago.

Thanks.

Definitely an SD card problem. First of all have you been 're-configuring' the SD card every 3-4 weeks as recommended in the instructions? This clears all previous footage taken in that time, and cleans the card up, so as it's like brand new. Naturally save any footage you want prior to doing this. Once you have re-configured the card. Take the card out of the camera and put it into your card reader. Now, go to <www.blackvue.com> and click on 'support' here you will find the latest 'firmware' for your camera. Download the firmware, plug your card reader into your computer and export the download to your card. Once this is done, put your card back into your camera and the camera will inform you of what it is doing. Once completed the camera will strat up and start recording. Suggest you go to ,www.blackvue.com. as it will give you all the instructions needed to do most things with the camera. I see that some members say 128GB are a must for the camera, this is their own personal opinion as is incorrect.
I have taxi companies, trucking and bus companies here using 32GB cards without any problems. I am currently running a DR900 in my 80 series Toyota Truck and am using the same SD card that I was using in my DR750 camera. This I have achieved by following these instructions. I presume that you are having the problems with the Blackvue SD card that was supplied with the camera. If you are using a different brand of card DON'T it will cause problems with your camera, and 'void' any camera warranty. You will find this warning printed on the box and also in the instructions. If you still experience problems after this, then the SD card is 'stuffed' and need replacing, with a genuine Blackvue SD card.
I
Regards
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

When you look at your memory cards how old are the latest recordings ? you could have very old events on there ( taking up memory space ) and so not much room for regular recordings, so with a small card like that and lots of event files present you might only have minutes worth of regular driving footage.
If you have no event files taking up memory space a 32 GB card will only give you a few hours stored, 128 GB will give you 8 hours from each camera so 16 hours actual footage or 2 X 8 hours as it is sort of the same the 2 cameras record just in each direction.
If you have something like parking guard or other form of event creation going on, that create locked files and those take away from the amount of memory space available for regular recordings.

So my recommendations are.

1. make sure you don't have g sensor and stuff like that on.
2. get a larger memory card, if you use parking guard this is a must and it is almost the case where 128 GB might be a too small memory card for that.
3. for regular events while driving / bad driving / harassment ASO use the manual event button, and move the event off the memory card as fast as you can ( copy via wifi to phone or to PC at home using a card reader )
4. if it is a option with your camera ( me not familiar with blackvue cameras ) assign some smaller percentage of the memory card for event files, if you have a 128 Gb card you might want the 40 or so of those GB set aside for events.

I do not agree with your claim that 2 channel cameras should at least have a 128 GB memory card. With 'Blackvue' cameras a 32GB card gives you 8 hours of recording time, regardless if they are 1 channel or 2 channel cameras. The 'Blackvue' camera also has a 'parking mode' built into the camera. This means that if you park up for 2 hours, once the camera has sensed no movement in 10 minutes it will go into 'Parking Mode' (no footage recorded on the card) if however if the camera after 3 hours, senses movement, like someone approaching the vehicle it will 'wake up' go back 5 seconds and start recording. Once the movement has stopped it will go back into 'Parking Mode'. Whilst the camera is in 'Parking Mode' no footage is recorded so this 'non recording time' is added the 8 hours of recording time. Once the camera has recorded 8 hours of footage it will keep loading footage, and dropping off the first footage as it goes along. That's why 'Cabbies' love it as do 'Truckies'. Using 'Blackvue' SD cards you will get 32GB - 8 hours / 64GB - 16 hours / 128GB - 32 hours / 256GB - 64 hours.
Regards
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Those symptoms usually point toward a card problem, but sometimes can be resolved by changing the length of the files being recorded. I'mk not familiar with this cam well enough to know if there's such an option in the menu for this change but if there is that's what I'd try first. The Blackvue branded cards are overpriced which is why many don't use them, but they are generally reliable. It wouldn't hurt to check them with the h2testw freeware, doing a full overwrite. You may also have a power supply issue- likely a poor ground connection if there- so make certain that all is good with it as not every bolt in today's plastic-riddled cars provides a good grounding point. Also be sure where you've tapped for the positive wire is behaving as expected- again modern cars with their computer-controlled power schemes can often behave in unexpected ways. It's not likly that the cam is bad but it's a possibility too so make certain the basics are right before going for the warranty.

Phil
I agree that the problem is a card problem. As I have explained to this guy. Yes, I agree that Blackvue SD cards are expensive, but this quality of card is what is needed to be used in Blackvue cameras. Simply using a cheaper brand of card will not do the job and can cause irreparable damage to the camera. This is printed on every camera box and also in the instruction manual, "Use of third party microSD cards may adversely affect the Blackvue and will void your warranty". Over the years that I have been selling 'Blackvue' cameras in New Zealand (12) 99.9% of camera problems have been due to customers thinking that they know better, and using NON Blackvue cards. I do not agree with your claim that he might have a power supply problem. If he had a power supply problem, the camera would no work!!!
Regards
Mike

Hi Kamkar and M8TJT, thanks for the help! I am using the parking mode time-lapse with the Power Magic Pro. Instructions say 27 hrs recording on a 16 GB card, althought I read elswewhere that its meant to be 48hrs for a 16GB card? Advice seems to differ. Think I should have bought that 128 GB card instead.

I'll check the G sensor, last time I looked it was on and works. I often get the 'impact was detected during parking mode' message a lot, I'm guessing it's too sensitive as it seems to think opening or closing the car door is an impact!

When I have had a serious event, I've used the manual touch (covering the end of the cylinder with my hand, and it announces 'manual recording on') and I've set it to keep that file as LOCKED so it won't be over-written. In saying that, the last few times I've just unplugged the cam and removed the card to make sure!

I'm now watching the dashcam recording 'on' red light while I'm driving, to see when the recording light turns off. It hasn't so far.

I do say though, I was musing about it, and I didn't have a problem with the dashcam turning off before while I was driving UNTIL I started using the time-lapse parking mode. Makes me think the powerpack might be draining to a point where the dashcam cycles itself off while driving afterwards? I'll have to test this and see.
Hi, Mike here again in NZ. Why would you want to use a time lapse parking mode? The other question is why are you using a 'powerpack'? These are only required for 'Porsche' and the like, as the computer on these cars does not allow any other accessories to be plugged into the electrical system. I have only sold 2 powerpacks in the last 12 years and both were for Porsche's. Your car's battery has a better storage capacity than the Powerpack. Going back over your accounts, I see that the camera stopped working about 10 minutes into your drive. 10 minutes is when the parking mode clicks in. Suggest that you take off the parking mode time lapse. Usually with these problems I get the customer to return their camera to me, and I sort it out on my test rig, and return it to them free of charge, so I am working blind here. Have you tried to take it back to the person who supplied the camera for help? You can email ,www.blackvue.com> click on 'help desk' tell them the problem, and they usually get back to you within 24 hours.
Regards
Mike

Well it seems that someone doesn't know as much about what they are talking about as they think they do, and one need only read what very numerous others have experienced in their posts on these forums to see it. Porsche is but one of the ever-growing list of cars (including many less-expensive makes) using computer-controlled power schemes which makes for problems in using parking modes. Powerbanks can run your dashcam while parked for a far longer time than your car battery, and neither does he seem to understand that lead-acid car batteries are not designed for this type of usage which does have a well-known detrimental effect on their service life. Nor does he seem to have ever read about the many who very successfully use certain aftermarket SD cards in their Blackvue cams, or of there being some folks who couldn't get Blackvue-branded card to work properly which was solved by going to those aftermarket cards. And the comment about customer service from the factory is not at all what the vast majority of people report as their experience in doing that- in fact Blackvue is well-known for having some of the worst after-sales customer support you'll find with dashcams, exceeded mostly by companies who totally ignore their customers.

I won't argue the point further, but only tell you to look into these things for yourself. When you do you will see whose advice is worth heeding and who's advice isn't.

Phil

It also seems that Mike Fish is spamming as he has said pretty much the same thing 4 times consecutively. I wonder who actually manufactures the legendary "Blackvue card" that Blackvue put their name on then charge the earth for. I've been running Samsung and other cards in both my 750s with only the occasional glitch that a format has sorted. That's pretty much the same story as when I was using the stupidly small Blackvue cards (only less often).

Update here. The dashcam continues to randomly not record anything, even when the recording light is on and it has said, 'Blackvue for your safe driving, starting normal recording'.

I had another serious harassment incident on the way to work this morning. Finished work, went to get the footage off the cam to give to Police, it had stopped recording normal driving several days ago. No incident. I had to sit and swear and scream in the car for a while. The cam had however randomly turned itself on two hours after I had parked the car, and recorded several hours of people arriving and leaving the carpark, when the parking recording option has been turned OFF. WTF?!?!

I've had it with this thing. I've asked Blackburn for a replacement, or refund, if not, I'll beat the crap out of it with a hammer. :)

At this stage I'll happily say DON'T buy a Blackvue!!!!!!!! I feel like aliens could land in front of my car and it would be safe to say this thing would happily turn itself off and only start again when a bird farts in front of it and the aliens are long gone. Really. FFS.

Forgot to add, I turned the parking mode ON one day this week to record something, and it didn't work. No footage. Maybe I should leave it ON when I don't want it to record, and turn it OFF when I do want it to record.

Back