Dashcam using the car's inbuilt cameras?

gr1nch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've a new car with 360° camera functionality via built-in cameras on 4 sides. It also has a 10GB HDD. It got me curious...

- has anyone here hacked* their car management system to create an on-board Dashcam solution?

- are there any cars with a factory-fitted, integrated Dashcam solution? And if not, who do you think will be the first carmaker to do so? Tesla? Ford? Toyota?....

*Though not something I'd want to try right now until maybe it was much more mainstream

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

What car have you got? I think you'd be best asking the manufacturer if it's a new car but I wouldn't get your hopes up. You could also look on forums dedicated to your particular car and post there. As cars get older they will eventually, if popular enough, end up getting various aftermarket mods that may be able to add this functionality one day unless the manufacturer themselves offered an upgrade.

Citroen already have an option for a built-in dashcam on the C3 I think but it's only a front facing camera.

What car have you got? I think you'd be best asking the manufacturer if it's a new car but I wouldn't get your hopes up.
I've got a Mercedes S350d and would not want to experiment with it as it's just started is warranty period. I'm curious if anyone has had a go already on their own cars.

You could also look on forums dedicated to your particular car and post there. As cars get older they will eventually, if popular enough, end up getting various aftermarket mods that may be able to add this functionality one day unless the manufacturer themselves offered an upgrade.

Citroen already have an option for a built-in dashcam on the C3 I think but it's only a front facing camera.
That's cool that they've done it though. It's a start. I'm on various car forums for my model and it's not something the averages driver yes interested in, though they're quite keen on dashcams!

As you mention the aftermarket mods, particularly the media/GPS/camera units look a good opportunity for Dashcam control, especially as some of them are internet ready with Android.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

my previous car (Honda Odyssey JDM) had the 360 camera and the same thought occurred to me and no where could i find any information about hacking or enabling it to be a DVR>
I have a suspicion that car companie's themselves may NOT want this feature enabled because it may expose them to defects that are fully recorded !
(can you imagine the s*** storm if someones accident was fully recorded and for no 'apparent' reason)

The C7 Corvette has an option for a factory installed 720p front dash cam with 32gb storage on an SD card.

The C7 Corvette has an option for a factory installed 720p front dash cam with 32gb storage on an SD card.

Rather low specs for such a car but most of it's owners won't have a clue of how badly they are being short-changed in buying the option or the car :p It's their fun so let them have at it :rolleyes:

Phil

Rather low specs for such a car but most of it's owners won't have a clue of how badly they are being short-changed in buying the option or the car :p It's their fun so let them have at it :rolleyes:

Phil

it's not so much a dashcam but more of a track day accessory, has some graphic overlays etc

Back