Dashcam video out of synchronization

Steven Trott

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two generic Chinese cameras, and both have the same problem with the videos they produce. On playback on my Linux (Ubuntu) computer, the audio is normal, but the video is accelerated to nearly double speed. As a result, the audio stretches all the way to the end of the file, however the video, running at nearly double speed, ends when the file is at its halfway point. How can I synchronize the video so that both the audio and video tracks stretch simultaneously to the end of the file. I also tested the playback of the file on an android tablet and it demonstrated the same synchronization problem.

What player are you using? Give VLC a try if you haven't yet.

i havent used a recent release of ubuntu because i hate how bloated and commercial they've become. "universal" search was the final nail in the coffin. i used to use kubuntu and xubuntu but even those have gone south IMHO. i use mint kde now.

anyway, i never did like amarok, which has been the default media player for a long time in many/most *buntu-based distros. and not just because it's buggy, tries WAY too hard to make itself ever-present and to take over anything related to media no matter what you want things to be, and you can't simply CLOSE the app - you have to go into a menu to close it so it doesn't just minimize to tray and keep playing. on a fresh OS install, step #1 for me is to uninstall amarok. can you tell i don't like it? :D

that said, VLC is the way to go whether you run windows or linux. It Just Works. and it has a spiffy icon. :p

what cameras do you have? what format/container are the video files? what resolution are they? what player do you use in android? i prefer MX Player, and not just because of the easy gesture controls during playback. mostly because it plays just about anything you can throw at it.

oh yeah - can you perhaps post a file somewhere we can download it (not youtube) - maybe mega, google drive, dropbox, something like that. then we can try playing it to see if it does the same thing for us.

tried on a Windows machine?
Today, I booted into Windows Vista and launched the same avi video files that were not playing correctly on Linux Ubuntu and Android. The videos played normally on Windows, so there must be a missing codec or something on Ubuntu and Android. Everything I have found online suggests that I use this or that program to correct the synchronization, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Instead the problem seems to be the inability of Linux and Android to play the video correctly, since Windows doesn't seem to have any problem playing the avi files. Perhaps I should post this on an Ubuntu or Android forum as well to see if anyone else has run into this problem. I have VLC installed on Ubuntu, but it isn't able to synchronize the files correctly either. Linux usually doesn't have any problem with avi files, but I don't know why it is having trouble with these particular avi files.

The following is the information from VLC regarding the video stream:
Codec: Motion JPEG Video (MJPG)
Resolution 1280x720
Frame Rate: 30
Decoded Format: Planar 4:2:2 YUV full scale

I have viewed the video in every video player I have installed in Linux and the results are the same for all. I am going to do some research to see what I can find out more about the codec name (Motion JPEG Video (MJPG).

that's really weird - mjpeg is literally a slide show (a pile of jpeg still images) which are then shown at a specific speed. and they aren't keyed to the audio like other true AV codecs, which could explain why it gets out of sync. doesn't explain why it works in windows but not linux though. i actually tend to have better results with various av formats in linux than i do in windows! mjpeg ought to work on damn near anything, especially at such a relatively low resolution (720p). it's an old codec that doesn't require a lot of CPU, which may be why it's used on your "generic chinese" cameras, as you called them - keeps it cheap.

Back