Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

The path length is certainly not the problem. As a test I made 2 equal folders with the names Dashcam files and Dashcam files2 with exact the same files only the original files in Dashcam files and the renamed files in Dashcam files2.
The original files all gave problems with the GPS data and all the renamed files played all without problems showing all data (speed, position etc.).

Edit: I renamed the original files to their original name but adding e.g. _1 to it so 20240515141619_000048.MP4 becomes 20240515141619_000048_1.MP4 then all is also fine, so it can't be the length of the filename what is causing the problem

Edit2: I have the firmware FWA119V3V2.6 installed on the dashcam

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2024-05-15 223636.png
    Schermafbeelding 2024-05-15 223636.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 5
Strange... :unsure:
Maybe an 'non printable' character is hidden in the name. Could you, in a PowerShell Window, run this command on a file that fails in Dashcam Viewer?
E.g.:
Code:
(dir 'F:\Dashcam files\movie\20240515131155_000037.mp4').Name.length
(take the Name property of the given file and return its length).

It should return '25'. If it is longer than there is a hidden character somewhere.

As I expected the length is 25. All the data is in the files but it is hit and miss if the data is shown. Sometimes a file don't gives the data for the map and another time it does. So DCV has sometimes problems in reading the files correctly. Don't say that DCV is buggy but surely has problems reading the files correctly, so it could also be the way the data/files are written by Viofo.
I stop searching any further for looking the answer, if I really need the data I can always try to rename the files and try again. The most important thing are the images not the GPS data (the data is however always stamped on the image, so always available)
Thanks for your effort and "meedenken";)

Blijf 't apart vinden... En u bent welkom :)

I sent a new video to the e-mail address support@dashcamviewer.com, the sharing link is below.

Thanks

The sharing link is valid for 21 days.

https://lifeboxtransfer.com/s/22b1e1eb-1f29-4085-83a2-554aec8129ad
@Devedikeni Thanks for the resend. I downloaded your 10-min Viofo A229 Pro video and it seemed to work fine in DCV 3.9.7. I can see the GPS data as shown below. The problem could be that the cache is corrupted or some setting in DCV became corrupted. Please try the following
  1. Try clearing the cache (under Advanced Preferences). Then reload your videos.
  2. Try a hard reset as described here, the reload your videos

viofoA229Pro.jpg

It's a bit hit and miss, the data is in the files but most of the times the map reports "Sorry we have no imagery here" if I then zoom out the map shows the red dot in the Gulf of Guinea (right under Ghana). Believe me I'm still in the Netherlands as far as I know.

Edit: I found the problem I think. It seems that the filenames are giving the problems, the filenames were e.g.: 20240515141018_000046.MP4, thus YYYYMMDDHHMMSS_######.MP4.
I renamed al files in Totalcommander as 01.mp4, 02.mp4 etc. Now ALL files will show the data in Dashcam Viewer.

So my suggestions is the the long filenames are giving the problems (?)

I attach some screenshots:

If renaming the video filename fixed the problem, then the underlying issue is likely corruption of the DCV data cache. The first time a video is loaded, the decoded GPS data is stored in a cache file. The advantage is that the next time the file is loaded, DCV checks in the cache for its data and loads it very quickly. When you have hundreds of files, this can be a timesaver. But somehow the GPS data was corrupted upon video first load and subsequent loads of the video pull up the corrupted cache data. Although I can't say what caused the initial corruption, the fix is to Clear the Cache or Turn Off Caching. Both options are in the Advanced Preferences. Sorry for the trouble!

@traveler: with modern NVMe drives, is caching still needed? I can imagine it can help with spinning disks or slow SD-card readers, but with the iops and bytes/sec modern drives cough up maybe less so?

Anyway, good to hear the program has the option to disable caching, so we can check ourselves.

If there is a problem with GPS data, is it because there is a problem with the GPS data structure of the excluded video files that the GPS data can be played back normally if the first video file is excluded?
(DeepL)

@suji_modern: You mean like I quoted here?

If there is a problem with GPS data, is it because there is a problem with the GPS data structure of the excluded video files that the GPS data can be played back normally if the first video file is excluded?
(DeepL)
Correct. Occasionally the first video of the day can have no GPS data or only partial GPS data. This is because the GPS receiver in the unit hasn't had a chance to achieve "lock" on to at least 4 satellites. This can happen if the GPS receiver is performing a "cold start" or doesn't have a clear view of the sky. With no GPS data, or only some GPS data, Dashcam Viewer can't determine which make/model dashcam you have. This check is only performed on the first video of the batch that are loaded since it is a time-consuming check. That's why skipping the first video will often fix the "missing GPS data" issue that's sometimes reported when loading a batch of videos.

TheSpanishInq
traveler

Thanks for the reply.
I had missed the correct answer in the help and previous threads.
Thanks also for the supplemental explanation.

Hey Guys, latest/greatest version released. This version patches a few bugs related to web-services, which have a way of disappearing without notice.

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.8 Released​

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.8 was released today for both Mac and Windows.

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for DOD GS980D
  • Added 2nd channel detection for YeeCore D22
  • Added 2nd channel detection for Thinkware F800 Pro (a.k.a., Alpine F800 Pro)
  • Added 2nd channel detection for Viofo A229 Pro, latest firmware
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug when creating new geotag that would label the geotag “Untitled Event” even if the option to lookup address was selected. This bug was due to the reverse geocoding service no longer being available. A replacement reverse geocode service was found and the capability restored.
  • Fixed bug when creating a new geotag in which the geotag pushpin would not appear on the map. This was due to the removal of numbered markers URLs by Google.
  • Removed Google Maps option in the Maps view due Google killing the Maps API that was compatible with built-in browser in Dashcam Viewer. Until a workaround is found, MapQuest is now the default Map option. PRO users can also select OpenStreetMaps.
  • Now if the GPS data in the video is ‘bad’ (all zeroes, for example) a cache entry will not be created. This prevents bad data from being loaded from cache.

Dashcam Viewer v3.9.8 showing DOD GS980 video and new Geotag waypoint markers

Dashcam Viewer and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

John

@Karagandinez thank you for the A229 (f/w V1.2_240227) front camera sample videos. I loaded these into Dashcam Viewer 3.9.7 and the GPS data was recognized. See screenshot below.

If you're still having trouble viewing the GPS data, please try the following:.
  1. Try clearing the cache (under Advanced Preferences). Then reload your videos.
  2. Try a hard reset as described here.
John
viofo_a229_dcv3.9.7.jpg

I installed Dashcam Viewer Pro 3.9.8. I applied the methods you mentioned above. My 10 min video did not process GPS data. Couldn't find the GPS location in the video.

1- I cleared the cache memory first.

Clear Cache.png

2 - I did a hard reset

Hard Test Button.png

3 - After the hard reset, Dashcam Viewer opened as below and the map appeared.

Hard Test.png

4 - After loading the video from the microSD card, GPS information did not arrive. The map pointer is positioned somewhere in the middle of the sea.

After Loaded Video.png

I uninstalled the Dashcam Viewer Application, turned on the computer, reinstalled Dashcam and repeated the same steps. Problem not solved.

I changed the dashcam viewer's language to English and followed the same steps. Problem not solved.

My problem is not solved but I thank you very much for your help.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
@Devedikeni See screenshot below. This is what I see when I load your 10-minute Viofo A229 Pro video into Dashcam Viewer 3.9.8. Everything seems to be working fine.

viofoA229ProDevedikeni.jpg

I noticed a clue to the problem you're having. In your last screenshot, the video duration is 3:25, not 10:00 minutes. Also notice the "wrench" icon next to your video filename. This indicates DCV found a problem with the data in the video. So perhaps this video is corrupt. Please try loading the 10-minute video you sent me and see if it works for you.
viofoA229corrupt1.jpg

John

@Devedikeni See screenshot below. This is what I see when I load your 10-minute Viofo A229 Pro video into Dashcam Viewer 3.9.8. Everything seems to be working fine.

viofoA229ProDevedikeni.jpg

I noticed a clue to the problem you're having. In your last screenshot, the video duration is 3:25, not 10:00 minutes. Also notice the "wrench" icon next to your video filename. This indicates DCV found a problem with the data in the video. So perhaps this video is corrupt. Please try loading the 10-minute video you sent me and see if it works for you.
viofoA229corrupt1.jpg

John

I also tried it in the video I sent you. GPS information did not work again. The map shows a fixed location in the middle of the sea.

enson.png

There is also a wrench in the screen printout you send while working on your computer. As far as I know, the wrench icon is a toolbar used to stabilize windows. I guess it doesn't determine whether the data is corrupt or not.

My antivirus program is Eset Smart Security. I checked the antivirus program. There is no blockage of my virus program to the dashcam viewer.

Below is the information about my computer's operating system and graphics card. In your opinion, is there a conflict between this configuration and the dashcam viewer?

İşlemci Ryzen.jpg

İşletim Sistemi.jpg

Ekran Kartım.png

Thank you very much for your interest and help.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
Interesting--we are seeing different outcomes given the same inputs. I think the problem is the presence of non-ASCII characters in the video file paths. ffmpeg (a helper program used by DCV) is sensitive to the character set. As a test, if you could try moving the videos to a directory in which the full file path contains only ASCII characters, and load the files from there, that may fix the issue.

Interesting--we are seeing different outcomes given the same inputs. I think the problem is the presence of non-ASCII characters in the video file paths. ffmpeg (a helper program used by DCV) is sensitive to the character set. As a test, if you could try moving the videos to a directory in which the full file path contains only ASCII characters, and load the files from there, that may fix the issue.

I named the file "a". I moved it to the "C" directory.

3.png

I opened the file in Dashcam Viewer Pro. Dashcam Viewer Pro displayed GPS information as below but the map view did not appear.

1.jpg

Using the "ExifTool" software, I created a "gpx" file with the same name as this file. These two files are shown below.

4.png

When "Dashcam Viewer Pro" saw the file with the gpx extension, it immediately displayed the map along with the GPS information. The latest situation is seen below.

2.jpg

Unfortunately, "Dashcam Viewer Pro" cannot display the map without a file with gpx extension.

Thank you very much again for your interest and help.

Kind regards,

Hello John,

I appear to have struck a small problem re; my AZDOME dashcam & the new DCV, v 3.9.8,
in that it will not display the videos which worked fine in v3.8.1 & 3.9.6.

This is on my new WIN10 Pro desktop PC 64 bit.

Error message reads as >
"Timeout occurred when trying to load or play the videos...... incompatible video codec & will not be able to see the video but will see the navigation....."
As stated, no video but none of the functions work either.
Got the usual "spanner" in the video box.
I have the K-Lite codec (basic version) as well.

Anyway, I've emailed you a selection of 2023 videos & the AZDOME camera details.
Hope you can fix my small problem.......once again. ;) (They aren't THAT frequent though.)

Many thank you's for a great product.

Regs, L errr Mike.
:)

ps. As I mentioned, the videos all played fine in the old versions & on my spare WIN 7 Pro laptop.

Just a heads-up.
Yesterday I'd updated K-Lite Basic from 18.3.5 to 18.4.0. After that DCV v3.9.8 showed a black screen while playing the footage (Viofo A229 Pro, Front: V1.2_240227, Rear : V1.0_231116).
After I'd reverted back to K-Lite v18.3.5 the footage would show again.
I use winget as the source for the K-Lite installer, CodecGuide.K-LiteCodecPack.Basic.

Does anyone know if it is possible to tweak the 'Audio Event Detection' capability? It seems too sensitive as it even picks up doors closing off other cars on the parking lot. Even on 10 it returns too many 'false positives'.

Back