Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

I notice that when I start Dashcamvier with no files chosen, graph choices such as G-force and altitude appear. However, when I load the files from my Viofo A119v3, these choices disappear. Is this because Viofo doesn't supply this info, or DCV isn't interpreting it?
Thanks.

Good question. @jokiin's answer is correct. Most dashcam models do not store G-force, altitude, and satellite count in the data record so these displays are disabled in Dashcam Viewer.

extremely MINOR bug..

i downloaded the new version and saw the trips tab. keep in mind i had no files loaded. i pressed the "enable all" button (i was curious) and the program crashes.

however, once files are loaded, the enable all button behaves as expected.

thanks for your continued work on this program!

@traveler, not a "bug" exactly, but would it be possible to filter out "impossible" GPS points? Either automagically, or with some user intervention.

On some recent riding, my Innovv K2 recorded three impossible positions.

Each was roughly in the middle of its respective 1-minute clip, at 3 widely-separated portions of the several-hour ride. According to the GPS data, I completed a 12000+ mile round trip in about 2 seconds, each time.

Such travel would imply a velocity of ~6% the speed of light. My Vstrom is pretty fast, but not that fast.

One set of offending clips has been provided to you via Dropbox. Can upload clips from the other 2 anomalies, if it would help.

I don't know whether it's really feasible to screen out impossible travel speeds. Of course, there's no way for Dashcam Viewer to "know" where you really are, it only has the recorded GPS points to go on.

I think the software are supposed to extrapolate on the driven route, and so if wild GPS info turn up or maybe no GPS info at all, it should disregard it and extrapolate on the correct route ASO.

TBH i also think the software will color the route in a different color where it have been forced to extrapolate on things, i think i have seen that somewhere at least.
That would make sense to me, and as a viewer you can see where you have actual readings and where there have been guesswork at play.

@traveler, not a "bug" exactly, but would it be possible to filter out "impossible" GPS points? Either automagically, or with some user intervention.

On some recent riding, my Innovv K2 recorded three impossible positions.

Each was roughly in the middle of its respective 1-minute clip, at 3 widely-separated portions of the several-hour ride. According to the GPS data, I completed a 12000+ mile round trip in about 2 seconds, each time.

Such travel would imply a velocity of ~6% the speed of light. My Vstrom is pretty fast, but not that fast.

One set of offending clips has been provided to you via Dropbox. Can upload clips from the other 2 anomalies, if it would help.

I don't know whether it's really feasible to screen out impossible travel speeds. Of course, there's no way for Dashcam Viewer to "know" where you really are, it only has the recorded GPS points to go on.

@travler
I just emailed you a Dropbox link yesterday with INNOVV K2 sample videos mentioned here from @DesertBike

Color-coding seems to stick with the speed recorded at the previous point.

It's amusing that the GPS hardware calculates a movement of several thousand miles in the space of a second, yet still reports a totally reasonable road speed. :)

I'm sure it's just some anomaly of picking up a new satellite, or something to that effect.

Hey @traveler

I've formatted my PC and reinstalled Dashcamviewer and now my videos are played in an abnormally wide format like 21/9 so the video looks all distorted.
To identify what's causing this, I've played footage that I saved which I played before formating my pc with dashcam viewer and was displayed normally.
Moreover, I can play the same footage in MPC-HC and video ratio is normal. It's only distorted with dashcam viewer.
I did re-install K-lite pack. Any idea what it could be?

Here's a screenshot of how it looks like. Even when I zoom out the video retains the same odd video ratio

Annotation 2020-08-23 202116.png

Dashcam Viewer v3.5.2 Released for Mac and Windows

Dashcam Viewer v3.5.2 was released today for both Mac and Windows with the following improvements and bug fixes:

General Improvements:
  • Implemented workaround to fix single-point GPS ‘spikes’ seen in data stream of some dashcam models. These are points that are out-of-scope from their neighbors. If a point is more than 5 km apart from its neighbors, then the point is discarded and replaced with an interpolated point.

Version 3.5.2 reduces and/or eliminates random data spikes seen in some dashcam models’ GPS data. Instances where two or more consecutive points are out-of-scope are not massaged. In these cases the user should report the problem to the dashcam manufacturer.
  • Improved error reporting of GPS data anomalies in Control Center window. Added more detail in error messages. If a wrench icon is displayed next to the video name, hover the mouse over the icon to reveal the errors and error codes encountered. Previously, only a single error message was displayed.
  • Added support for parking mode videos from Viofo A129 Pro Duo with firmware “A129Pro: V2.0 Build: 20200710”.
  • [Windows] Dashcam Viewer is now distributed with the LGPL versions of ffmpeg and ffprobe. Previously the GPL version slipped into the build. Users should replace the LGPL versions with the GPL versions for best performance and features. Instructions for doing this are in the Users Manual.
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed crash if user has no videos loaded and clicks the “Enable All” button in the Trips list. (thanks, @dr_ramoray !)
  • When exporting a PiP clip, the ffmpeg LGPL warning message is now brought to front instead of hidden behind the Export Options window.
The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time. Give 'er a go!

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Nice.

Fwiw I calculated that if I had actually been to North Africa and back in the space of 2 seconds, I would have had to average 6% of the speed of light. Probably would have been pulled over at the very least.

You would have left permanent burn marks on Saturn's rings :)

We are spinning around at just about 1700 km/h on the surface of the earth, but those speeds you talk about are just out of here.

We took a long-ish ride yesterday, looked at the video later, it had a couple of those weird North Africa GPS spikes.

Installed the DV 3.5.2 update. Spikes gone. Nice!

The 5 km gating won't fix the weird, ~300m offset I've seen once or twice - that may be a deeper problem with the way the K2 logs GPS. Have to wait for it to happen again so I can upload videos for analysis.

It happened again (the random jumping/offset thing). Couple times in the first 5 minutes of an almost hour-long ride yesterday. I'll upload the clips.

It happened again (the random jumping/offset thing). Couple times in the first 5 minutes of an almost hour-long ride yesterday. I'll upload the clips.

Please see follow up here:

John

Playing back 2-3-X channel footage, it would be nice if there was a skip to same channel.
As i understand it most players now first play the "A" channel and then automatic proceed to the corresponding "B" channel and i assume "C" and "D" channels if they was there.
But i would like to just play "A" channels ( front camera ) as that is the view i would use searching for something, so having to skip over other channels to get to the next "A" channel are a drag.

Maybe this is already there i dont use this or any other player much i have to admit.

I must not be understanding you. Are you saying DV shows you only one channel at a time? I see front in the main window, with rear channel shown picture-in-picture mode. Stays that way if I go forwards or backwards through a set of clips.

Back