Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

No i think it can display any numbers of channels you want in X number of windows or PIP, but i just use one window with one feed and in general just use the footage from the front camera to find a thing i have not locked by the event button.
But if / when DV play a file it then proceed to the next file ( the rear footage ) which i then have to skip as i dont want to see rear footage to get to the next segment from the front camera.

So if there was a option to put a tag somewhere to just play the footage from one of the cameras i would be happy.
I am also running into the same problem with the regular media player i use ( pot player ) even if i have just selected 1 file i want to see it also "load" all the subsequent ones and skip automatic to the next one, and that is then a rear camera file which i have no interest in.
And with pot player i dont get it assume when i load 1 file i want to play, then it just assume i want to see every other video in that directory, and most often i just want to watch that 1 file.

Of course if i dove into the settings of pot player i might be able to change that, i am just baffled it is the default, though i recognize most other people probably want to watch other files.

But as i said i have DV but dont really use it as i have on interest in seeing on a map where i am driving, i can see that just fine on the actual video feed, but of course if i lived in a bigger place or got to drive to new places more often i would maybe want the map, but as it is, it is only one or two days a year i drive on roads i have never been on before.

It is probably not a problem for other people, but it annoy me.
Ant it could also very well be that if i dove into the settings / options of DV i could get it to perform to my liking.
It is the same working on the computer, i can and often have several taps open on my one screen, but i only deal with one of them at the time, if i was to try minimized windows and say have this forum going in one window, while i was doing other stuff in another window it would frustrate me.
And thats just this forum + a similar thing where you dont have much action going on, if i was to do like streamers do play a game + run a chat + run a stream of your self playing + what not,,,,, i would go insane, i get aggravated just watching other people doing that.

Maybe what i an requesting are a "light" mode, possible working just like a regular media player, and then you could add things like map / second feed / PIP if you wanted to, and as i would like to see the software ignoring other files if you are just in 1 window mode and just want to see front camera footage.

Back in the day i used registrator viewer some, compared to DV it seem a much lighter piece of software, even if it had features DV dont have ( to my knowledge ) that i actually liked ( like RV would analyze your memory card and automatic bundle the footage up in the actual drive sessions, so instead of XXX individual files at first you just saw XX drive sessions, and you only saw the files that made a session up if you played / clicked one of then.

DV feel very massive to me, but i have another player much more simple and it is not like i use it instead.

I think there is a clear and present danger that if i was to get a 360 degree action camera, it would freak the hell out of me, cuz 360 degree footage or not it is just 1 flat image i would be interested in, its just with a camera like that you dont really have to aim it.

I see, wouldn't have thought to do that so haven't seen the behavior you describe.

I have the same problem with alternating front/rear views if I load a bunch of clips into e.g. VLC Media Player manually. Usually I "solve" it by manually segregating the front and rear camera clips, e.g., one folder for front views, another for rears.

That can of course be tedious. I've left my K2 on 1-minute clips for some time, so an all-day ride might have 420 minutes (7 hours) for a total of 840 clips (!).

DV is "smart" enough to distinguish between front and rear videos, so presumably there could be a checkbox to only display one or the other.

Are the maps only available in the ‘pro’ version? Or are the maps available in the standard version?
I’m going to be using Dashcam viewer with a 70Mai A800 camera. The files play in the free version and was looking to buy the standard version. The extra for the pro version for the maps is a lot to shell out if the 70Mai files aren’t compatible.

As I understand it, all the features are available in the free version; the big difference is that 'free' can only work with two files per session. I'm poor and cheap, but I'm soon going to put my money down here because this guy and his program deserves our support. Nobody else has put this much effort into getting us what we want since Vadim Kozlov and Registrator Viewer (RIP Vadim). And nobody else gives you all the features for free :cool:

Phil

Put your money towards a SG camera Phil, this come with the bundle.
Though of course, then it only work with SG cameras i assume, i have actually not tested this.

The SG version works only for SG cams, but it's a nice feature to get with their cams(y)

Phil

Dashcam Viewer v3.6.0 Released for Mac and Windows

Dashcam Viewer v3.6.0 was released today for both Mac and Windows with the following new features, camera supports, and bug fixes. This is a free upgrade for registered Dashcam Viewer users:

New Features:
  • New: Data Browser. Use the Data Browser to examine and export your dashcam’s GPS track data in a variety of formats. Data can be previewed, examined, copied to clipboard, and exported to files. Invoke the Data Browser using the DATA toolbar button or File menu. The available data formats are:
    • CSV: (comma-separated-value) which is compatible with Microsoft Excel​
    • GPX: XML-based GPS data interchange format compatible with Garmin BaseCamp​
    • KML: compatible with Google Earth​
    • GeoJSON: used in GIS applications​

Data Browser showing CSV data

Data Browser showing GPX, KML, and GeoJSON formats
  • The Free version can export the current video’s GPS data, the Standard version adds the option to export data for all enabled videos, the Pro version adds the option to export data for all videos in the current Trip and data all videos loaded.​
  • Added GeoJSON data export option. Altitude will be exported if available. Also, Geotags will be exported as Point features.​
  • Users can now export GPX with version 1.0 headers (compatible with Garmin BaseCamp) or version 1.1 headers.​
New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for Aukey DR02D latest firmware file-naming convention.​
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed crash hang that could occur if user tried to resize the Export Video Clip, Shortcuts, About, Register window.
  • Fixed bug in KML exporter.
Dashcam Viewer is PC/Mac software that allows you to playback your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.​

The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Very nice.
It is fairly often it come up with people wanting to get their hands on GPS data from dashcams.

Does DV have a built-in file quantity limit?

Since I switched to a 256 GB card, I have around 1900 video files at a time (front + rear, 1-minute clips). I tried viewing them in DV yesterday and noticed only the first 600 sets (representing 1200 files) were viewable in DV.

That's based on letting DV scan the entire videos folder. I can load and view smaller subsets of the files no prob.

Last edited:
To be clear, I had several days' worth of rides on the card. Only the first several rides showed up in DV. The rest simply weren't shown. The files were however present on the SD card. I copied them to a separate folder and DV loaded them fine.

Does DV have a built-in file quantity limit?

Since I switched to a 256 GB card, I have around 1900 video files at a time (front + rear, 1-minute clips). I tried viewing them in DV yesterday and noticed only the first 600 sets (representing 1200 files) were viewable in DV.
limit is 1200 files

Dashcam Viewer v3.6.1 Released for Mac and Windows​

Dashcam Viewer v3.6.1 was released today today. Focusing on additional dashcam model supports and bug fixes.

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for Viofo A129 Plus Duo
  • Added support for NextBase 622GW
  • Added support for AKEEYO AKY-D9
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed bug in which double-clicking a trip would reveal video Markers on the Google Map, even if this option was unchecked.
  • The mouse can now be in the main viewer area to perform a zoom using the mouse wheel. Previously, the mouse had to be on top of the main video for mouse wheel zoom to take effect.
  • Improved zoom behavior for users of Apple MagicMouse or trackpads. Zooming will be less erratic now.
  • [Windows] Dashcam Viewer will no longer remind you to install K-Lite Codec Pack or LAVFilters if they are already installed.

Dashcam Viewer 3.6.1 showing picture-in-picture view of front/rear Viofo A129 Plus Duo dashcam

Dashcam Viewer is PC/Mac software that allows you to playback your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com).

The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

- John
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

@traveler Do you have support for the up and coming viofo A139 ?
If not i can provide a set or two of files for you to work with

@traveler Do you have support for the up and coming viofo A139 ?
If not i can provide a set or two of files for you to work with
@kamkar No sooner do I add support for the A129 Plus Duo and out comes the A139:rolleyes: lol. Seems like I'm always playing catchup with Viofo. Yes, please send me samples via https://wetransfer.com. Thanks!

@traveler Do you know why when I try and Merge videos it finishes in a split second and doesn’t create the new video?
I have loaded 2 consecutive videos and both play perfectly and can be exported on their own. If I press merge and set the folder. After pressing ‘save’ It shows the merging bar for a split second then shows as done but the only file stored is the merged dashcam movies.gpx file and no .mov file.

I haven’t yet downloaded this newest version, the version I’m using was downloaded 13th Nov which is when I purchased the license.

Hello traveler
Over the past 2 days, when I have had time, I have been trying out many of the functions of my standard paid-for version of dashcam viewer v 3.6.1 with the Thinkware U1000 front and rear setup. I have tested it on 2 machines as follows:

1. HP Spectre x360 Convertable 13 -ac054na Core i7-7500 (16GB Ram) (1TB Solid State Drive)

2. A self-built (3 years ago) Desktop PC with an AMD RYZEN 1700 (16 GB RAM) with 420GB Solid-state internal HD and 2TB internal Seagate HD. With an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics display card and a 32" BenQ QHD monitor.

I have a few observations. They may be bugs or just defaults that might not be fixable due to the size of the files that are being handled by the program. Do I post on here or do send observations to you by email?

Regards

Peter

Last edited:
My tests with this application on both Windows 10 machines as stated in my previous post and the Thinkware U1000 with Front and rear cameras and radar module are as follows:

1. When watching the video playback, I noted at every 1-minute file changeover point when the next file was processed, there was a blank screen. It was approximately half a second (1/2) in length. There was no loss of position, in other words, where the video ended the new one started at that exact point.

2. I created as a test a video file that used 4 of these files and there were no gaps in it where there would have been 4 x 1/2 second gaps if I had run the separate files in sequence as stated in paragraph 1.

3. When following the vehicle on the map, I have the following enabled:
Route
Markers
Follow
Click to go

A. When I enable the use of Google Maps, I cannot go back to the previous marker or on to the next marker on the displayed route. The vehicle just carries on!
B. When I enable the use of MapQuest, I can click on any marker anywhere on any part of the loaded route even if they are days apart, and, the video at that point is displayed almost immediately. Excellent.

4. If I load 1000 files it takes a very long while for the application to process them all. Perhaps up to 30 minutes. Is this normal because each file is over 200Mb?

5. Also, it is very frustrating that the application has to reprocess all the files every time you want to look for something in a file sequence, even if they are loaded onto the hard drive. Does the application not keep them in a separate subdirectory for use later so that this long process is eliminated? Perhaps they are, but I have not drilled down into the instructions to see if this is mentioned.

Thanks

Peter

Peter, I haven't fully tested the U1000 in Dashcam Viewer which is why I don't list it as "compatible" on our website. But I'll do my best to answer:

1, 2. The gap time is affected by these parameters:
  1. The speed of the computer
  2. The speed of the hard drive or SD card
  3. The speed of the USB interface (if using an SD card reader)
  4. The size of each video file
  5. Whether you are using K-Lite or LAVfilters (I have found LAVfilters to be slower when switching).
  6. Possibly the version of K-Lite being used ( I can send you the version I use if you want to try it).
Please try to vary these parameters to see if your performance improves.

3A. I'm not aware of this issue in my testing-- the maps behave the same. Try clicking just beyond the Marker (not directly on it) to make sure the click is received by the Map.

4. Load speed depends on the factors stated above-- with some caveats. Dashcams that store their GPS data in separate ASCII files (like the Mini 0801) load faster than those that store their GPS data inside the video file. Also, some dashcam models make it harder to find the GPS data embedded in the video file and these require more processing time. It just depends.

5. Dashcam Viewer currently doesn't cache any information about the videos-- each load of a video initiates a scan for GPS data. The computers themselves do some caching which speeds subsequent load times.

One trick you could use to expedite subsequent video loadings is to create a GPX file for each video of regard before quitting. If the GPX file is named the same as the video file, but with a .gpx extension, Dashcam Viewer will load GPS data from the GPX file rather than scan the file. The downside is that you must do this for every video file. But you've given me some ideas. I'll add 'smart caching' to my ToDo list.

On a side note, I discovered that the reason the Thinkware U1000 videos did not play on my 2015 MacBook Pro was that my Mac was too old. Macs built before 2016 cannot handle 4K HEVC (h.265) encoded videos. When I tested sample U1000 on a newer iMac, they played fine in Dashcam Viewer. They also play fine on Windows 10 with K-lite codecs.

John

Back