Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Out of interest I've just performed the self same test using a few of my V3 files and when I hover the mouse over the Google map it changes into a hand and, more crucially, wherever I click on the map at a point in the route, Dashcam Viewer takes me to that file and sets the main view to exactly the correct position.

That for me rules out a problem with Dashcam Viewer.

I would uninstall reinstall both Dashcam Viewer and the K-Lite codec pack then check and post all your 'preferences' to compare notes.

Out of interest I've just performed the self same test using a few of my V3 files and when I hover the mouse over the Google map it changes into a hand and, more crucially, wherever I click on the map at a point in the route, Dashcam Viewer takes me to that file and sets the main view to exactly the correct position.

That for me rules out a problem with Dashcam Viewer.

I would uninstall reinstall both Dashcam Viewer and the K-Lite codec pack then check and post all your 'preferences' to compare notes.
Are you recording to TS or MP4 files?

My preferences are the defaults, except for using Imperial units.

Are you recording to TS or MP4 files?

My preferences are the defaults, except for using Imperial units.
I uninstalled Dashcam Viewer and the K-Lite CODEC pack. I downloaded the latest FFmpeg GPL version.

I reinstalled Dashcam Viewer and the K-Lite CODEC pack. I copied the GPL FFmpeg into the Dashcam Viewer folder, overwriting the original (making a backup first).

When I click on the map viewer near the very end of the trip (video #50), it takes me back to video #4, just as it did before.

Since this is 100% replicable using two different cameras, two different SD cards to record the original files, fresh downloads of all the apps, fresh installs, and fresh copies of the video files onto the computer's hard drive, it leads me to believe it is a software problem.

Post a link to a 'dodgy' file for me to test. That file #50 sounds a good bet. PM if you want to keep it private.

I've no idea what the GPL FFmpeg is and I haven't got it.

I'm using .MP4

In my case, the route I'm using on my setup I travel every weekend and I know it well. If the map 'click' took me anywhere else I'd know straight away.

and I'm also trying to help.

Post a link to a 'dodgy' file for me to test. That file #50 sounds a good bet. PM if you want to keep it private.

I've no idea what the GPL FFmpeg is and I haven't got it.

I'm using .MP4

In my case, the route I'm using on my setup I travel every weekend and I know it well. If the map 'click' took me anywhere else I'd know straight away.

and I'm also trying to help.
@Kremmen
I appreciate you trying to help.

My guess is that you would see the same functionality if you were using TS rather than MP4. TS is preferred over MP4 because an improperly closed MP4 file cannot be recovered, whereas an improperly closed TS file can. In a crash, the currently open file could easily become corrupted due to the camera not closing the file properly.

@traveler @Kremmen The DCV FAQ mentions the GPL version of FFmpeg (https://dashcamviewer.com/resources/frequently-asked-questions/ "Camera Specific Issues) to get around certain problems. While I wasn't having those particular issues, I found another one with the version of FFmpeg that ships with DCV - specifically, when using TS files, you cannot export a clip from a video (it simply exports a single frame instead of a clip beginning at the specified start point and ending at the specified ending point). Using the GPL version of FFmpeg solved this problem. See this post where I talk about that issue.

As for the issue we're currently discussing, I've uploaded video #50 here. If you click on any part of the track, you'll see that the Map viewer jumps to a different location. This is more noticeable when the video is paused. I suggest zooming in on the map and clicking on a crosswalk or somewhere with obvious features. Further, the problem is dramatically increased if you had the entire 75-mile trip, instead of the last few minutes that are contained in video #50.

Note, this video was filmed on the new dashcam that was not attached to the window but was just lying on the dashboard for this test, so ignore the video quality! :).

Leave the file on that link. Because of the time difference I'll download the file in the morning, UK time. About 12 hours.

When I'm at the PC in the morning I'll post a link to one of my files for you to try the same with a .MP4 to see if that is the key.

Thanks

@traveler
When using the 199V3 and creating TS files, DCV will not export video clips when given a start and end point in the video. Instead, it will export a single frame (185 bytes).

This is the log file after trying to export a less than 60 second clip using the FFmpeg that ships with DCV. It exports a single frame, other than a video:

ffmpeg version N-81040-g309322e Copyright (c) 2000-2016 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 5.3.0 (GCC)
configuration: --arch=x86_64 --target-os=mingw32 --cross-prefix=/Users/coggi/ffmpeg_build/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers/sandbox/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-x86_64/bin/x86_64-w64-mingw32- --pkg-config=pkg-config --disable-w32threads --enable-libsoxr --enable-fontconfig --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-iconv --enable-libtwolame --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --enable-libzvbi --enable-libcaca --enable-libmodplug --extra-libs=-lstdc++ --extra-libs=-lpng --enable-decklink --extra-libs=-loleaut32 --enable-libmp3lame --enable-version3 --enable-zlib --enable-librtmp --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --enable-libspeex --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-gnutls --enable-libgsm --enable-libfreetype --enable-libopus --enable-bzlib --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libvpx --enable-libilbc --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libgme --enable-dxva2 --enable-avisynth --enable-gray --enable-libopenh264 --enable-nvenc --enable-libebur128 --enable-netcdf --enable-libflite --enable-lzma --enable-libsnappy --enable-libzimg --enable-libmfx --extra-libs=-lpsapi --extra-libs=-lspeexdsp --extra-cflags='-mtune=core2' --extra-cflags=-O3 --enable-static --disable-shared --prefix=/Users/coggi/ffmpeg_build/ffmpeg-windows-build-helpers/sandbox/cross_compilers/mingw-w64-x86_64/x86_64-w64-mingw32 --enable-runtime-cpudetect
libavutil 55. 28.100 / 55. 28.100
libavcodec 57. 50.100 / 57. 50.100
libavformat 57. 42.100 / 57. 42.100
libavdevice 57. 0.102 / 57. 0.102
libavfilter 6. 47.100 / 6. 47.100
libswscale 4. 1.100 / 4. 1.100
libswresample 2. 1.100 / 2. 1.100
[mpegts @ 00000229f3d5a120] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Unknown: none): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' and 'probesize' options
Input #0, mpegts, from 'C:/Users/kaish/Documents/000 DashCam Footage/Test/20220921105132_000019.TS':
Duration: 00:02:00.00, start: 0.032000, bitrate: 31262 kb/s
Program 1
Stream #0:0[0x200]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuvj420p(pc, bt709), 2560x1440, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn, 60 tbc
Stream #0:1[0x201]: Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 32000 Hz, mono, fltp, 97 kb/s
No Program
Stream #0:2[0x300]: Unknown: none
[mov @ 00000229f41a20c0] Using AVStream.codec to pass codec parameters to muxers is deprecated, use AVStream.codecpar instead.
Last message repeated 1 times
Output #0, mov, to 'C:/Users/kaish/Documents/000 DashCam Footage/00 Exports\20220921105132_000019_000.mov':
Metadata:
encoder : Lavf57.42.100
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuvj420p(pc, bt709), 2560x1440, q=2-31, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc
Stream #0:1: Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 32000 Hz, mono, 97 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
[mov @ 00000229f41a20c0] Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use the audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option with ffmpeg)
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Operation not permitted
[mov @ 00000229f41a20c0] Malformed AAC bitstream detected: use the audio bitstream filter 'aac_adtstoasc' to fix it ('-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc' option with ffmpeg)
Error writing trailer of C:/Users/kaish/Documents/000 DashCam Footage/00 Exports\20220921105132_000019_000.mov: Operation not permittedframe= 1 fps=0.0 q=-1.0 Lsize= 0kB time=00:00:00.44 bitrate= 3.3kbits/s speed= 112x
video:461kB audio:5kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: unknown

When FFmpeg is replaced with the GPL version, DCV creates clips perfectly. Here's the log for comparison:

ffmpeg version n5.1.1-1-g4424a6223b-20220905 Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 12.1.0 (crosstool-NG 1.25.0.55_3defb7b)
configuration: --prefix=/ffbuild/prefix --pkg-config-flags=--static --pkg-config=pkg-config --cross-prefix=x86_64-w64-mingw32- --arch=x86_64 --target-os=mingw32 --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-debug --disable-w32threads --enable-pthreads --enable-iconv --enable-libxml2 --enable-zlib --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-gmp --enable-lzma --enable-fontconfig --enable-libvorbis --enable-opencl --disable-libpulse --enable-libvmaf --disable-libxcb --disable-xlib --enable-amf --enable-libaom --enable-libaribb24 --enable-avisynth --enable-libdav1d --enable-libdavs2 --disable-libfdk-aac --enable-ffnvcodec --enable-cuda-llvm --enable-frei0r --enable-libgme --enable-libkvazaar --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libjxl --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-librist --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-lv2 --enable-libmfx --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenh264 --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-librav1e --enable-librubberband --enable-schannel --enable-sdl2 --enable-libsoxr --enable-libsrt --enable-libsvtav1 --enable-libtwolame --enable-libuavs3d --disable-libdrm --disable-vaapi --enable-libvidstab --enable-vulkan --enable-libshaderc --enable-libplacebo --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxavs2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzimg --enable-libzvbi --extra-cflags=-DLIBTWOLAME_STATIC --extra-cxxflags= --extra-ldflags=-pthread --extra-ldexeflags= --extra-libs=-lgomp --extra-version=20220905
libavutil 57. 28.100 / 57. 28.100
libavcodec 59. 37.100 / 59. 37.100
libavformat 59. 27.100 / 59. 27.100
libavdevice 59. 7.100 / 59. 7.100
libavfilter 8. 44.100 / 8. 44.100
libswscale 6. 7.100 / 6. 7.100
libswresample 4. 7.100 / 4. 7.100
libpostproc 56. 6.100 / 56. 6.100
[mpegts @ 000001d724fd2ac0] Could not find codec parameters for stream 2 (Unknown: none): unknown codec
Consider increasing the value for the 'analyzeduration' (0) and 'probesize' (5000000) options
Input #0, mpegts, from 'C:/Users/kaish/Documents/000 DashCam Footage/Test/20220921104532_000016.TS':
Duration: 00:02:00.03, start: 0.032000, bitrate: 31254 kb/s
Program 1
Stream #0:0[0x200]: Video: h264 (High) ([27][0][0][0] / 0x001B), yuvj420p(pc, bt709, progressive), 2560x1440, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn
Stream #0:1[0x201]: Audio: aac (LC) ([15][0][0][0] / 0x000F), 32000 Hz, mono, fltp, 97 kb/s
No Program
Stream #0:2[0x300]: Unknown: none
Output #0, mov, to 'C:/Users/kaish/Documents/000 DashCam Footage/00 Exports\20220921104532_000016_000.mov':
Metadata:
encoder : Lavf59.27.100
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (High) (avc1 / 0x31637661), yuvj420p(pc, bt709, progressive), 2560x1440, q=2-31, 30 fps, 30 tbr, 90k tbn
Stream #0:1: Audio: aac (LC) (mp4a / 0x6134706D), 32000 Hz, mono, fltp, 97 kb/s
Stream mapping:
Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)
Press [q] to stop, [?] for help
frame= 0 fps=0.0 q=-1.0 size= 0kB time=00:00:00.06 bitrate= 4.6kbits/s speed=N/A
frame= 1491 fps=0.0 q=-1.0 Lsize= 184611kB time=00:00:50.01 bitrate=30238.2kbits/s speed= 131x
video:183999kB audio:596kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead: 0.008777%

I'll be downloading the file shortly, but, is using .TS more trouble than it's worth for your requirements ?

My V3 has been in faultless use for over 3 years now and it's never failed to close a MP4 file. The supercapacitors are very robust. Far more reliable 5han the manufacturers who keep using batteries. My previous A119V2 I gave to a friend and that's still going strong and that's just over 4 years old now.

Update :

Ignore the above, .TS is working fine for me.

I've downloaded and played your file. I let it run from the start point until you stopped behind the white car at the lights. I then clicked the map just after the start point and the video went immediately back to where I clicked and continued playing from there. I did this 3 times without issue. So there's something on your PC/Laptop that's clashing with the map.

Thinking back a few years I remember having issues with a full codec pack that was solved with a legacy codec 'lite/basic' pack. Can you download and try this pack :

>> Codec Basic Pack <<

Last edited:
I'll be downloading the file shortly, but, is using .TS more trouble than it's worth for your requirements ?

My V3 has been in faultless use for over 3 years now and it's never failed to close a MP4 file. The supercapacitors are very robust. Far more reliable 5han the manufacturers who keep using batteries. My previous A119V2 I gave to a friend and that's still going strong and that's just over 4 years old now.
Is it more trouble than it's worth... I really don't know! LOL. If DCV is currently having trouble and will get fixed (that's assuming I've found bugs!), then ultimately using TS won't be an issue. Is any of what I've discovered a show-stopper? Not really. Annoying? Sure. I'll be doing another long trip later, and may try MP4 and the version of FFmpeg that comes with DCV to see what happens.

@traveler Another potential bug I've noticed with DCV is that if I load a folder full of TS videos, they show as -0.01 seconds duration. If I clear the cache and load the folder of videos again, they then show the correct duration!

@jyunte

Did you see my update ?

Your TS file and associated Google Map location and mouse click routine over the map to change viewing location is working perfectly for me.

I'm convinced that it's not the V3 or Dashcam Viewer.

@traveler
Background: I copied about 5 files into a folder that already contained a bunch of previously cached TS video files.

Here's a video of me doing the following:
1. I started DCV and opened the folder containing the previously cached video files and the new, as yet un-cached video files.
2. DCV cached the new files.
3. In DCV I scrolled to the last, just added, files and you can see the duration is -0.01 for each of the new files.
4. I cleared the cache in DCV and closed down DCV.
5. I restarted DCV and opened the same folder, forcing DCV to re-cache the files.
6. You can now see that ALL the files now have correct durations.

Did you see my update ?

Your TS file and associated Google Map location and mouse click routine over the map to change viewing location is working perfectly for me.

I'm convinced that it's not the V3 or Dashcam Viewer.

What update?

I've posted several videos of what's happening. It's the same on two computers. If it's not the computers, not the 119V3, then what's left?

Looking at this logically I've tried:
a) Two different computers... identical symptoms.
b) Two different 119V3 dashcams... identical problems.
c) The same program on each (DCV)... identical problems.

Logic dictates that it's probably not the dashcams and not the computers. I've posted logs that show DCV is having issues with FFmpeg. I (just) posted a video that shows DCV is having problems with correctly caching TS videos.

If you have time and the ability to do it, I would like to see a video of you trying to replicate my problem on your system, that way I can see for myself that you are doing what I am doing... otherwise we are just chasing our tails with me doing one thing and DCV not doing what is expected, and you doing something different and DCV doing what YOU expect it to.

@Kremmen Here's a video showing what happens. The track I'm clicking on is the in the same video I sent you.

I can click on the track in the Map view to move the map and associated video to that location. It takes TWO clicks to get the pointer to move the location. The first click moves the position pointer a little way, the second click moves it to the correct location. When I get to the end of the trip - the last video of the series and near the very end of the video - clicking on the track sends me 70 miles away.

In my 04:48 post, above, there is an "Update:" section that I posted after my initial statement.

Your file works perfectly on my setup in all respects, included moving around via the map.

I also included another codec for you to try.

As a side note, I haven't got that ffmpeg you mentioned so maybe uninstall that as a test.

I uninstalled the K-Lite CODEC pack and installed your version.
I removed the GPL version of FFmpeg and put the regular version back.
No change.

Again, it's extremely unlikely it's caused by two faulty 119V3 dashcams. It's extremely unlikely it's caused by two computers, each with different software, hardware, and GPUs. We've ruled out FFmpeg and the K-Lite CODEC pack by installing and reinstalling default versions. The only thing left is DCV. I can't actually remember if I uninstalled DCV and reinstalled it on either computer, but for an installation error to happen on two different computers would be extremely unlikely, unless it was the installation executable that was causing the error (which I doubt).

Just to check, I completely removed DCV and reinstalled it. Same problem. The only constant here is the DCV software.

FFmpeg is installed with DCV, in the same directory as the DCV executable.

Last edited:
I'm at the end of what I can think of, works for me but not for you !

@Kremmen @traveler Thanks for your help Kremmen. Unfortunately, it's still 100% replicable on both computers. It is, of course, possible that there's some weird interaction between DCV and something else that's installed on both of my computers, but without the author's help, there's no way for me to find out.

To summarize, this is what I've tried:

After Initial clean installation of DCV and K-Lite CODEC Pack...

Problem #1: Cannot export a clip of camera's TS video. Video export results in single frame of video (185 bytes). DVC log file shows errors. See this post.
Test: Installed ffmpeg GPL from official site. Video export works as expected.

Problem #2: Video and Moving Map out of sync. Moving Map begins to update immediately, even though the video shows the GPS has not yet got a location fix from the satellites.
Solution: Author fixed issue in upcoming update.

Problem #3: Clicking the DCV icon to open a folder of video (TS) files causes DCV to cache the GPS information. The video files show "-0.01" duration. Video available here.
Test: Manually clearing the cache via the settings menu, closing DCV, reopening DCV and opening the folder again so that the files are re-cached.
Status: Work around fixes the problem and the files' duration is set correctly. (Comment: Error in caching algorithm?)

Problem #4: After adding more video (TS) files to the repository of video files on the computer and clicking the DCV icon to open the folder, DCV caches the new files GPS data. The newly added files all show a duration of "-0.01".
Test: Manually clearing the cache via the settings menu, closing DCV, reopening DCV and opening the folder again so that the files are re-cached sets the duration properly.
Status: Work around fixes the problem and the new files' duration is set correctly. (Comment: Error in caching algorithm?)

Problem #5: Clicking the track in the Moving Map near the end of the final clip jumps to another, seemingly random (but always the same) point in the trip (or within the same video if only one video in the trip). Video available here.
a) Test: Tried again with standard ffmpeg executables that came with DCV.
Result: Same unexpected behavior.

b) Test: Tried older K-Lite pack offered by another user.
Result: Same unexpected behavior.

c) Test: Tried clean installation on other computer.
Result: Same unexpected behavior on 2nd computer.

d) Test: Bought 2nd 119V3 dashcam, recorded new footage.
Result: Same unexpected behavior using footage from 2nd dashcam on both computers.

e) Test: Tried older K-Lite pack offered by another user on 2nd computer.
Result: Same unexpected behavior on 2nd computer.

f) Test: Clean uninstall and reinstall of DCV and K-Lite CODEC Pack on both computers.
Result: Cannot export video clips of files on either computer (only exports a single frame). Clicking on the track in the Moving Map moves the location to a random point on the track. Same problems.

g) Test: Use MP4 files instead of TS files.
Result: Test not yet conducted.

Has anyone been able to get the GPS files from a 70mai Dash Cam Pro Plus+ (A500s) to work with Dashcam Viewer Pro? I've reached out to the developer via email and the "contact us" link on the site without success. I suspect it is more about the folder structure than the file structure - but I'm REALLY new to this. FWIW, the video files open just fine; but I can't get any of the GPS data to work.

-Paul

@jyunte

The only time a map click has taken me to another clip is when a return journey is on the same road. When that happens you need to be very accurate on the map between out and return tracks on the map.

Regarding exporting never done that. I just save my footage for about 6 months

@jyunte The Click-to-Go feature seems to working as expected with your test video. Here is a video of me clicking on the map at various points. The video and map both jump to the clicked point. I'm using DCV v3.8.7.

The version of ffmpeg is irrelevant to this type of issue. That being said, substituting the GPL version of ffmpeg for the LGPL version will give you more capabilities. (I can only legally distribute the LGPL version with DCV). If ffmpeg is not substituted correctly, you might see the duration of videos as -0:01 minutes. It can also occur if the file path to the video contains non-ASCII characters.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend clearing the cache (Preferences->Advanced) or performing a hard reset of DCV (see FAQ). Usually a hard-reset fixes strange problems users report. Hope this helps!

Back