Dashcam Viewer for Mac and Windows

Has anyone been able to get the GPS files from a 70mai Dash Cam Pro Plus+ (A500s) to work with Dashcam Viewer Pro? I've reached out to the developer via email and the "contact us" link on the site without success. I suspect it is more about the folder structure than the file structure - but I'm REALLY new to this. FWIW, the video files open just fine; but I can't get any of the GPS data to work.

-Paul
@phammer I don't have any experience with the 70mai Dash Cam Pro Plus+, although the Dash Cam Pro is compatible. I recommend you send me sample videos, but I've got a backlog of 9 different dashcam videos I'm working on so I can't get to it right away.

@jyunte The Click-to-Go feature seems to working as expected with your test video. Here is a video of me clicking on the map at various points. The video and map both jump to the clicked point. I'm using DCV v3.8.7.

The version of ffmpeg is irrelevant to this type of issue. That being said, substituting the GPL version of ffmpeg for the LGPL version will give you more capabilities. (I can only legally distribute the LGPL version with DCV). If ffmpeg is not substituted correctly, you might see the duration of videos as -0:01 minutes. It can also occur if the file path to the video contains non-ASCII characters.

If you haven't done so already, I recommend clearing the cache (Preferences->Advanced) or performing a hard reset of DCV (see FAQ). Usually a hard-reset fixes strange problems users report. Hope this helps!
@traveler Thanks for the video. Your process was different from mine. What I was doing, was zooming in on the map window and clicking near the very end of the trip. That takes me to another part of the trip. Again, it's 100% repeatable on two different Windows 10 computers (one Windows 10 Home, the other Windows 10 Professional). I can sometimes click on many points of the trip without any trouble. I think it has to do with the map window zoom level. If I'm zoomed out a certain amount, I can reliably click on the map and move there... or close to where I click (it seems random as to whether the red dot goes to the point where I'm clicking, or to a point a mile or two away)...

...But zooming in on the map with the map window paused and clicking very close to the end of the trip is a problem, or clicking anywhere when zoomed in causes the problem. Zoom in all the way, then back out 3 clicks with the "+" button and click on the track at an obvious point (freeway overpass or something). It'll take you 70 miles away. I've found that if I'm at least 4 clicks of the "+" button on the map from maximum zoom, clicking on the track will take me somewhere kinda close to where I click.

Here's a video where you can see what happens at different zoom levels (apologies for the poor audio):

As you can see in this post, solving Problem #4 involves clearing the cache. I generally load the video files, clear the cache and load them again as simply loading the videos on DCV start-up makes them have a -0.01 duration... but clearing the cache and loading them again solves that problem. It's like the caching algorithm is done two different ways, one of which doesn't work quite as well as the other.

The video in this post, above, was done after a hard reset. Additionally, I have totally uninstalled DCV from one computer and reinstalled and the problem persists. When I moved to the second computer and did the first-time-ever-installed clean installation I was immediately able to replicate the problem on that computer too, so it's not an installation problem - unless the installer itself is creating a problem somewhere.

I found another issue today. I have 52 videos from a trip this afternoon. The 51st video reached its 3-minute maximum length and as luck would have it, I turned off the car just as video 52 was starting to record (it's about 0.5 seconds or less in duration). When I play the trip back, DCV plays video 51 to the end, then video 52 plays (for its 0.5 seconds) and stops presenting a black screen. DCV shows that I'm on video 52, as it should. However, if I press Play, DCV plays video #1, but the information shown on DCV shows I'm playing video #52. If DCV is left to continue playing, it'll move on to video 2 ,3 ,4, etc, but DCV will still say it's playing video #52.

@Kremmen Yes, if you click somewhere on the map where you have an outbound and a return journey, it can jump to either, unless you're very careful. However, that's not the case here as the outbound journey is one trip, and the return journey is another. The video files are in two separate folders and are never loaded at the same time. Regardless, in the videos I've been uploading, the outbound journey and return journey are on the same roads, so if I click either track, it should take me to the same place - just one going south, the other going north! :) Other videos I've shot for testing purposes begin at Point A and end at Point B, a semi-circular or straight-line route, so there is never more than a single track.

If ffmpeg is not substituted correctly, you might see the duration of videos as -0:01 minutes. It can also occur if the file path to the video contains non-ASCII characters.

The GPL version of ffmpeg contains only 3 executable files in it's ZIP archive. I simply removed the version of ffmeg.exe from the DCV folder and placed the GPL version there. When that didn't solve the problem, I replaced the DCV version of all three executables in the ffmpeg ZIP file with their GPL version. Neither made any difference to the "-0.01" duration. The only thing that worked, was deleting the cache and opening the video folder again to have DCV re-parse the files.

There are no non-asci characters in the path to the video files or the filenames of the video.

As previously stated, using the LGPL version of ffmpeg produces errors when trying to export a clip from within DCV, whereas the exact same procedure completes successfully with no errors when using the GPL version.

@phammer I don't have any experience with the 70mai Dash Cam Pro Plus+, although the Dash Cam Pro is compatible. I recommend you send me sample videos, but I've got a backlog of 9 different dashcam videos I'm working on so I can't get to it right away.
Hi, I don't know if @phammer submitted footage, but I have sent a sample through wetransfer / the contact page.
Thanks for the effort you put into the software.

Hi, I don't know if @phammer submitted footage, but I have sent a sample through wetransfer / the contact page.
Thanks for the effort you put into the software.
I have submitted, and the developer responded privately. I've replied back privately, as I think there is hope for getting this to work - but that's all it is right now; hope!!

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.8 Released​

Good evening, everyone. Dashcam Viewer v3.8.8 was released yesterday for both Mac and Windows with the following new improvements. Version 3.8.8 is a free upgrade for all Dashcam Viewer users:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for VIOFO A229 Duo (brute force GPS search)
  • Added support for Vantrue X4S Duo
  • Added support for INNOVV K2 parking mode videos
Bug Fixes:
  • Improved GPS data integrity checking. Errant points are more readily detected and mitigated.
  • Fixed bug which could incorrectly flag a data point as ‘bad’ even though it had a valid speed.
  • Prevent crash when loading AZDOME PG02 videos. Still haven’t decoded the GPS data (if it’s even there) but at least DCV doesn’t crash!
  • Fixed bug in which 2nd channel of Mio MiVue dual dashcams would not be recognized.
  • Better support for time-lapse mode videos. Now mouse clicks in Graph, Map, and “Jump To” menu move to the correct place in the video.
viofo_a229_v3.8.8_2.jpg

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.8 showing VIOFO A229 Dual dashcam video and GPS data.

Dashcam Viewer and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

Last edited:

Good evening, everyone. Dashcam Viewer v3.8.8 was released yesterday for both Mac and Windows with the following new improvements. Version 3.8.8 is a free upgrade for all Dashcam Viewer users:

New Camera Supports:
Bug Fixes:
  • Improved GPS data integrity checking. Errant points are more readily detected and mitigated.
  • Fixed bug which could incorrectly flag a data point as ‘bad’ even though it had a valid speed.
  • Prevent crash when loading AZDOME PG02 videos. Still haven’t decoded the GPS data (if it’s even there) but at least DCV doesn’t crash!
  • Fixed bug in which 2nd channel of Mio MiVue dual dashcams would not be recognized.
  • Better support for time-lapse mode videos. Now mouse clicks in Graph, Map, and “Jump To” menu move to the correct place in the video.
viofo_a229_v3.8.8_2.jpg

Dashcam Viewer and Dashcam Viewer PRO are PC/Mac applications that allow you to play your dashcam’s videos while simultaneously viewing your vehicle’s location on a map. There are many other features in the software which are detailed on our website (http://dashcamviewer.com). The free version is fully-functional and allows the loading of up to 2 videos at a time.

New Camera Supports:
Bug Fixes:
viofo_a229_v3.8.8_2.jpg

Hi!
I'm interested in buying this app and have installed the free version but have a couple of questions:
The map, speed info etc dont work see picture. Actually, map show somewhere in the Atlantic at the equator....
I have a MacBook 2015 with MacOS 12.5 Monterey.
Dashcam is Thinkware F200
Video is recorded in Portugal.
Do the Plus viewer plan include 60 seconds video export?
Also, I want the viewer, dashboard, speed and map windows all in one window so they can be exported as a video all together.

Kind Regards,
Rickie Kåveby

Attachments

• Screendump 2022-10-26 kl. 11.44.05.png
    Screendump 2022-10-26 kl. 11.44.05.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have submitted, and the developer responded privately. I've replied back privately, as I think there is hope for getting this to work - but that's all it is right now; hope!!
My hope is dashed. I'm looking at ways to marry the timestamps in the video vile with the GPS data from a different file, and hoping I can then write the data back to the file in a way for DCV to understand it. Fingers crossed!

For the video playing, VLC and potplayer is available for that.

Hi!
I'm interested in buying this app and have installed the free version but have a couple of questions:
The map, speed info etc dont work see picture. Actually, map show somewhere in the Atlantic at the equator....
I have a MacBook 2015 with MacOS 12.5 Monterey.
Dashcam is Thinkware F200
Video is recorded in Portugal.
Do the Plus viewer plan include 60 seconds video export?
Also, I want the viewer, dashboard, speed and map windows all in one window so they can be exported as a video all together.

Kind Regards,
Rickie Kåveby

@RickieK I'm not sure why you're not seeing the GPS data from your F200 files. Did you try the hard-reset procedure? If that doesn't work, perhaps there has been a firmware update that has changed the format slightly. If you could send me a raw sample video from the front camera, I'll take a look. PM me for info on sending me large files.

Yes, the Plus version can export 60 secs of video. As for combining all the windows into a single large window, unfortunately that can't be done. However, you can do it outside of DCV. One way is to enter the key command Shift-Cmd-5 on your Mac and do a partial screen recording.

Black Friday Sale!

Starting today, Dashcam Viewer Plus and PRO are 40% off using coupon code BLACK22! The coupon code works on upgrades as well. Sale ends on Monday night. Thanks for your support!

John

I saw you was on here earlier when i got out of bed at 3 AM

@ LUFO,

I too, run WIN7 & do not intend....no, cannot upgrade to WIN10. (Computer specs not suitable.)

DCV runs very well here.
Is your system 32 bit or 64 bit?
If 32 bit, then contact John by posting your request here & ask him for that version.
He's most helpful with it. Just be sure to install the K-Lite Codec pack...LITE version...Not the Full one.

Question...
I am running Windows 7 and Dashcam Viewer shows a black screen when I try to play a movie.
Answer...
Although many people have reported no issues with Windows 7 and Dashcam Viewer, a number of people have reported the ‘black screen’ issue. For that reason I no longer recommend Win7 for use with DV. I suggest a move to Windows 10, which has much fewer issues with DV. If you stick with Win7, be sure you have K-Lite Codec Pack installed. Also, you could try reducing the movie resolution to 720p on your dashcam’s settings, which may help.

You can always contact John via this link as well.
> https://dashcamviewer.com/contact-us/

Good luck.

Last edited:
@Lufo:

@Michael23 is correct. Many folks have reported success with DCV on Win7 using the Lite version of K-Lite codec pack. I don't advertise it because I don't have a Win7 test system. Also, a 32-bit version of Dashcam Viewer is available by 'special request' (PM me if needed).

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.9 Released​

Happy New Year, everyone!

Dashcam Viewer
v3.8.9 was released today for both Mac and Windows with the following new improvements:

New Camera Supports:
  • Added support for INNOVV K3 “keep” files in TS format
  • Added preliminary support for Wolfbox G900
New Features:
  • [PRO] Added option to make exported clips playback in reverse. (see below)
Bug Fixes:
  • Fix for Vantrue X4S with newer firmware so that GPS data is detected.

Dashcam Viewer v3.8.9 showing new Reverse Video option (PRO version only)

Hi!
Is it possible to add the support for the 70Mai A800S + rear camera?
Thanks a lot!
Regards

I've crossed paths with the A800S before. It's one of the few dashcams that dumps GPS data for all videos into a single file. Unfortunately, this method of data recording is incompatible with the way Dashcam Viewer works. Dashcam Viewer requires a single set of GPS points for each video file. The GPS data is usually encoded and embedded into the video stream itself, or it's in a text file with the same name as the video. I know the A800S is a popular dashcam and I'd like to support it, but there's no simple solution at this point. Interestingly, unlike the A800S, 70mai's Dash Cam Pro encodes/embeds its GPS data into each video file and is compatible with Dashcam Viewer.

Back