DashCam Viewer is now FREE for all Street Guardian customers ($25 USD value) Windows & Mac, Single and Picture in Picture Dual Channel Compatible

One thing I really, really miss from the old Registrator Viewer is that Dashcam Viewer doesn't seem to indicate when an event was marked. In other words, there's at least 6 minutes of video for ever mark when using the default 3-minute segments, and there's no easy way to tell where during that time I may have pressed the button to mark that Read Only.

I've enabled Markers in the map, too, but it doesn't seem to do that. Is this something that can be added? Or is it something that's already there, and I just can't find it? I want to be able to quickly jump to whatever point in the video I pressed the button.

Separately, I can't seem to figure out how to make it process consecutive videos as one. This is especially obvious when an event of interest happens over the break in the 3-minute rollover. I've had to export/merge multiple videos into a single video, and then load that one video (which loses all meta data) into Dashcam Viewer, and then cut the clip out from there. There's got to be a better way, right?

One thing I really, really miss from the old Registrator Viewer is that Dashcam Viewer doesn't seem to indicate when an event was marked. In other words, there's at least 6 minutes of video for ever mark when using the default 3-minute segments, and there's no easy way to tell where during that time I may have pressed the button to mark that Read Only.

I've enabled Markers in the map, too, but it doesn't seem to do that. Is this something that can be added? Or is it something that's already there, and I just can't find it? I want to be able to quickly jump to whatever point in the video I pressed the button.

Separately, I can't seem to figure out how to make it process consecutive videos as one. This is especially obvious when an event of interest happens over the break in the 3-minute rollover. I've had to export/merge multiple videos into a single video, and then load that one video (which loses all meta data) into Dashcam Viewer, and then cut the clip out from there. There's got to be a better way, right?

@traveler might be able to advise

@Deacon currently DCV doesn't distinguish between normal and read-only videos. This is something that can be looked into.

>Separately, I can't seem to figure out how to make it process consecutive videos as one.

I'm not sure this totally solves your issue, but you could use the Merge function to combine multiple videos into one. When you do a Merge, DCV combines the GPS meta data into a single GPX file with the same name as the merged video file. That way you can load the merged video file and also the merged GPS data together. A GPX file can be hand-edited if need-be to match any merged-video edits. Not something you'd want to do a lot, but should work in a pinch.

The old registrator viewer had the ability to automatic bundle up your drive sessions, it did that as soon as you inserted the memory card and started the program, i was a big fan of that, and it allowed you to export one such session with a click or two of the mouse, just like if you had just selected 1 video segment or piece of a video segment..
And i dident even use that feature, my main use of RV back then was just to grab the few seconds of a segment i wanted to use for my youtube uploads, which i then processed with a video editor.
The snippet of a video i selected for use was then dropped on my desktop as fragment of original file name.

The old registrator viewer had the ability to automatic bundle up your drive sessions,
Yeah, that's one of two features that RV had that DCV doesn't that I miss. The other is the ability to 'mark' the beginning and ending of a segment that I want to save versus entering a time offset. Not complaining about DCV but the addition of those two features would make it nearly perfect.

yep dropping a "A" marker and then a "B" marker and then save anything in between as fragment of filename.
But i am just saying here i don't really use travelers little program that much, so don't know what he have in it or not.

As i recall in RV you could also keep the original file format / settings for your export, or you could choose something else.

O BTW i also used RV to mute sound in what i stripped out, and you could also choose for your end file if you wanted video metadata or not,,,,, that i assume some people would like too being affraid their own footage could be fired at them self.

@Deacon currently DCV doesn't distinguish between normal and read-only videos. This is something that can be looked into.
Because of the limitations of DCV I just load the RO folder only, regardless. But the real request is some form of visual marker for when in the timeline of the video the button was pressed. I don’t know how it did it, exactly, what data was injected by SG that allowed for it, but I seem to recall RV did that. Perhaps an anomalous spike in some piece of metadata? And in modern SG cams, they also save a photograph at the moment of button press, so you could check for a corresponding photo and mark the video with the time (even just the modified time of the file itself, possibly).

Not something you'd want to do a lot, but should work in a pinch.
No, definitely not. With RV you pointed it at the card in general, and it simply stitched together the whole drive, RO included. You could snip out any piece of that drive, and if it happened to occur across a segment break, it just took what it needed from however many videos files were involved and produced the output for you.

The other is the ability to 'mark' the beginning and ending of a segment that I want to save versus entering a time offset.
Yes, that would be great! Having to simply remember in your head what the beginning time was, find the end time, then retroactively do the math to figure out how many seconds to define the video snippet for export kinda sucks, to be honest. I’ve gotten used to it, but it’s not simply an alternate approach, it’s an objectively worse design. Combine that with its inability to work across the end of any one video file and beginning of another, and it makes for a lot of frustration.

@traveler What version is the SG specific DCV up to at the moment?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

3.28, majority of changes in later editions of the retail version relate to other cameras and don't affect us
Great. That's the one I'm running anyway.
Couldn't see an auto update feature within the programme

3.28, majority of changes in later editions of the retail version relate to other cameras and don't affect us

Please see my Dashcam Viewer Blog for a list of changes in the retail version. I agree with @jokiin that many of the changes since 3.2.8 were to support new dashcam models, but there have also been a number of new features, improvements, and fixes that apply to all models. Here's a list of the major new additions since v3.2.8:
  • New Data Browser: preview and export your GPS data in CSV, GPX, KML, and GeoJSON (added in v3.6.0)
  • New Trip List: Videos are now binned into Trips for easier route isolation and viewing (added in v3.5.0)
  • Export Video to Image Sequence: users can export a video to a series of evenly-spaced images (added in v3.4.2)
  • Audio Event Detection: quickly jump to points in the video where significant audio events occurred (added in v3.4.0)
- John
http://dashcamviewer.com
https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer

Please see my Dashcam Viewer Blog for a list of changes in the retail version. I agree with @jokiin that many of the changes since 3.2.8 were to support new dashcam models, but there have also been a number of new features, improvements, and fixes that apply to all models. Here's a list of the major new additions since v3.2.8:
  • New Data Browser: preview and export your GPS data in CSV, GPX, KML, and GeoJSON (added in v3.6.0)
  • New Trip List: Videos are now binned into Trips for easier route isolation and viewing (added in v3.5.0)
  • Export Video to Image Sequence: users can export a video to a series of evenly-spaced images (added in v3.4.2)
  • Audio Event Detection: quickly jump to points in the video where significant audio events occurred (added in v3.4.0)
- John
http://dashcamviewer.com
https://www.facebook.com/dashcamviewer
Thanks John
Will these new features make their way into the SG version?

I think these new things might get incorporated in a new SG player when support for new SG cameras are needed anyway.
The drive session binning are something i would like for sure if i was a regular user of software like this.

Also not familiar with that kind of agreement SG have with traveler.

Back