Dashcam viewer won't play front & rear at same time

egonvdv

Reaction score
Country
France
Dash Cam
TWO Thinkware's U10002CH (rear cams used as side cams)
al the files are there an i can play them one by one (front/rear/front/rear...)
but the player won't join front & rear together. (the gps data/map does play simultaneously )

Our PC Viewer software will not play both front and rear clips simultaneously. I believe the intention was to prevent playback issues as not everyone has a computer capable to play these clips simultaneously.

Sorry to barge in on this thread, but I have some PCviewer software questions as well.

1) I have a Mac, and when I go to run the software it complains that it is not digitally signed and the OS does not want to run it for security reasons. I have to manually override this. Can this be fixed?

2) while I have set the speed to record in MPH (I know, the USA is the only country in the world to not embrace metric), the dash cam does indeed record the speed in MPH and writes it to the file at the bottom of the video.
However, during playback, the speedometer in the software only shows the speed in Kmph. Is there any way to update the live gauges in the software to show mph instead of kmph?

1) No there is no way to avoid this.

2) In the setting tab on the Mac Menu Bar on the top, allows you to select either KPH or MPH

Our PC Viewer software will not play both front and rear clips simultaneously. I believe the intention was to prevent playback issues as not everyone has a computer capable to play these clips simultaneously.
thanks reply. confusing, as the software does show the possibility

I just installed my 2 camera U1000 last weekend and have to say I am very disappointed with the Windows version of the software as it doesn't support 2 cameras (at the same time) viewing. They claim the IOS version does work. Also disappointed that none of the reviewers have ever mentioned it. Today I found a much better viewer @ https://dashcamviewer.com/ The free demo version will show you how well it works with front and rear cameras but in demo mode will only play 2 files at a time. There are many other features included so it could be a great alternative! Too bad Thinkware built such a good camera but supplied garbage viewer software!

Oh, and the DVPlayer software, I checked it out and it isn't worth the $15. I would gladly pay the extra for DashcamViewer.

Welcome to DCT @timb_yyc :) Dashcamviewer has been around longer than DVPlayer so it's better developed right now but that could change in the future. But for right now I agree- it's an excellent program.

None of the manufacturer-supplied viewers seem to work as well as they should, and most of the time there are few or no updates for them. You can almost always equal or better them with one of the freeware video viewers lke VLC or PotPlayer, and you can always do better with dashcam-specific viewers. Most of us don't even bother with brand-specific viewers and just go right to whatever our favorite platform is ;)

Phil

My old dashcam was a $50 2-ch device. The bulit in software played back both cams in split view, the same way it was viewed live. It also generated 3 minute clips. The player was copied to the SD card, from the device. If I used my PC to view the clips, from the SD card, I could easily view them like a sideshow. I could easily edit the clips, including removing sound.

Also, the clips were all in one folder. It is very confusing on the u1000 having to jump between folders to view clips in order. Seeing clips are flagged, we should not be forced to parse them into separate folders.

Allow us the option for longer clips. The option for viewing 2-ch at one time. The ability to sideshow clips for continuous playback.

Hi @isaiah58! Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully the insight below will help you understand our decisions.

-Our PC viewer software does not play both the front and rear videos simultaneously because most users do not have computers that are able to play both 4k + 1440p clips at the same time. We did not want the PC Viewer software to crash user's computer when they try to view a clip. Our PC Viewer software does support continuous playback. Also, our software is just a viewer not a video editor similar to VLC or GOM Player.

-1 min video segments was a decision we made based on reliability. By using 1 min segments in conjunction with a super capacitor, it allows our dash cams to finish writing the 1 min segment even when power is lost in a collision. Recording longer segments increases the chances of critical accident footage being corrupted as the dash cam will not have enough power to finish writing the segment to the micro SD card. This is a reliability feature we have no plans on changing.

-Our file saving system may be confusing at first, however once you learn what is in all of the folders it does make it easier to find specific clips. Below are all of the folder files created by our dash cams:
  1. cont_rec = Continuous Recording Footage
  2. evt_rec = Impact Recordings
  3. manual_rec = Manual Recording Clips
  4. motion_rec = Motion Detection Clips in Parking Mode
  5. parking_rec = Impact Recordings in Parking Mode

@Thinkware Dash Cam

Thanks for the information. I have a problem that maybe you can help with.

I added a hardwire kit so park mode would work. Unfortunately my battery drained too low. I used the Thinkware Cloud App to Disable Park Mode. Apparently this did not stop the camera from still operating in Park mode. My battery drained again. The cam saved park mode several clips while disabled.

Next I removed the power cord from the U1000, leaving the kit attached. My battery is fine now. Please advise

@Thinkware Dash Cam

Thanks for the information. I have a problem that maybe you can help with.

I added a hardwire kit so park mode would work. Unfortunately my battery drained too low. I used the Thinkware Cloud App to Disable Park Mode. Apparently this did not stop the camera from still operating in Park mode. My battery drained again. The cam saved park mode several clips while disabled.

Next I removed the power cord from the U1000, leaving the kit attached. My battery is fine now. Please advise

Can you please answer the following questions:

1. Which hardwiring cable are you using? (OEM, OBD-II, 3rd Party)
  2. Did you enable the voltage cut off? If so, what cut off did you set?
  3. You disabled parking mode, yet the dash cam still recorded in parking mode?
  4. What happens when you disable parking mode and turn the ignition off?

Thanks for the response. I am using a OBD kit, from Carteck. Below are screen shots of my settings. I also took a video as I turned the vehicle off. The cam stayed powered up, I pulled the cord after 2 minutes. I can email the video, just PM where to send it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201116-182033_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-182033_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20201116-182041_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-182041_THINKWARE CLOUD.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 6
The dash cam is most likely remaining powered on due to the ignition module. It does take a few minutes for the dash cam to switch from continuous to parking or to turn off in your case. The Echomaster OBD-II cable takes about 6 mins to switch to parking mode in my vehicle.

Also, the voltage cut off is currently at 12.3V. It is possible that your battery is below 12.3V when the dash cam switches to parking mode, therefore the dash cam will not turn off because it's already below the threshold. I'd try enabling Parking Mode Again and using 12.1V as the cut off.

You can send the clip to support@thinkware.com, just reference this dash cam talk thread in the email and the support team will forward me the video. Cheers!

The original cutoff was 12.1

I did some research, I have a 12 volt battery. Let's assume it is not optimal any more. Based on what was shared, the u1000 software is not designed to recognize an existing low voltage situation. Shouldn't it?

My u1000 pretty much remained in continuous mode the second time (park mode disabled). It never went into park mode, I checked the clips.

The first time the cutoff never triggered as my battery is most likely at 12v or below. Hard to figure out if it stayed in continuous or switched to park.

I will check about the 6 minute thing tomorrow.

I will verify if I need a new battery. From there determine the resting voltage of my current or new battery.

That being said, if a battery is 12.3v and the cutoff 12.1, about how long would park mode last?

I did some research, I have a 12 volt battery. Let's assume it is not optimal any more. Based on what was shared, the u1000 software is not designed to recognize an existing low voltage situation. Shouldn't it?
It will recognize the low voltage but won't turn off as it's looking for the value to drop to the designated threshold. Not already be below the designated threshold.

The first time the cutoff never triggered as my battery is most likely at 12v or below. Hard to figure out if it stayed in continuous or switched to park.
Easy to tell if the dash cam is in parking mode by changing the parking mode to time lapse and checking the video folders. You could also stay in the car when you turn of the ignition to listen to the audio notification alerting you that the dash cam is changing to parking mode.
That being said, if a battery is 12.3v and the cutoff 12.1, about how long would park mode last?
Difficult to give an approximate duration as it depends on where you park, if you're using a two channel or one channel system, which parking mode you're using, your vehicle's battery health....etc...etc.

I read some of the information on the manufacturer website. I also noted that the OBD is the same one offered there.

Depending on the settings, I could expect park mode from almost 2 days with everything at full sensitivity, too 2 weeks at minimal settings.

I was too busy today to test the 6 minute switch over. Hopefully I can monitor that tomorrow

@Thinkware Dash Cam my u1000 stayed active for 10 minutes after I turned the vehicle off, continuous recording was active. I still have to pull the connection to make sure it goes off, I do not trust the power off button at this time. Photo from the 10 minute mark

Attachments

• 20201118_123048.jpg
    20201118_123048.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like the dash cam is not going into parking mode and is staying in continuous recording.

What vehicle are you using this with? Are you sure parking mode was enabled when you tested this morning? Also, have you checked your ignition module on the OBD-II cable to make sure that it is installed/working correctly?

Back