Dashcam with broken cigarette lighters?

_jrox

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys, so glad I found this forum because I have a quick question.
I drive a 2013 Volkswagen Passat and have been meaning to get a dashcam for a while. I'm pretty set on the Aukey Dual Dash Cams, but I have an annoying problem where I haven't been able to get any of the cigarette lighter ports in my car to work for quite some time now. I know it's possible to wire it into the main car system, but I'm technologically hopeless and terrified I would mess it up and brick my car or something. Has anyone had any success using a rechargable heavy-duty battery, like you might for a phone, to power your dashcam? I only drive for about four hours at a time max so it really wouldn't need to last that long. Or if you have some ELI5 soldering advice I'd be happy to take that too.

If you want to DIY:

- Search on YouTube for how to access the interior fuse box for your car model and year.
- Google for the interior fuse diagram for your model and year (unless you have the diagram in the manual or next to the fuse box)
- Locate the fuse value for the 12V cigarette socket
- Check what size fuse you need https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(automotive)
- Order the size and Amp value you need from Amazon, eBay, your local filling station
- Replace the fuse, and see if the lighter ports work again.
- No soldering required!

Otherwise, ask your car garage to fix it next time it's in for a service.

I can't answer whether using a separate battery would be successful, but it sure sounds an inconvenient solution.

Oh great, that's a much simpler solution! haha im learning that im pretty useless when it comes to car stuff but that definitely helps! Thanks so much.

Getting your cigarette lighter socket fixed should be the easiest solution. Then.. you could use it for other charging needs as well.

Back