Dashcam with capacitor installed turns off when starting car

DashcamFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a hardwired dashcam with a capacitor installed. Is it supposed to turn off when you start your car's ignition? If not, what fuse slot should I be using instead?

Yes, it's the Möbius camera. I was thinking about buying a new dashcam, but I was wondering if all dashcams with capacitors had this issue.

I'm kind of used to a mobius with cap not restarting 30-40% or the time.
When I park my truck I immediately go to the ACC position of the key, and often the mobius cuts out. I've gotten used to checking it's working, and since it is within reach, just unplugging it temporarily if I NEED it to run.

Yes, it's the Möbius camera. I was thinking about buying a new dashcam, but I was wondering if all dashcams with capacitors had this issue.

@dash riposki

Try downgrading firmware to 2.33, that solved the issue for me. Mine is hardwired and has a capacitor too.

Last edited:
Some car fuse circuits go dead when operating the starter, but are hot with the switch on otherwise. When the cam senses the voltage loss it powers down which takes time. If the power returns during this process. the cam may not restart.

Phil

I'm back with an update after 3 months of testing. The v.2.33 firmware fixed the issue, but from time to time (happens once approximately every 3-4 days, give or take), the camera doesn't turn on and record after receiving power. One day, I saw LED power on the camera, and the camera turned off. Could this be caused by cold temperature?

Back