Dashcam with cloud backup

ToXIcG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A119
So im wondering if their is a dashcam that can connect to your home wifi when your car is parked up outside and upload files to the cloud or even a NAS without any user intervention.

I know this could be done if you were using a smartphone as a dashcam but im wondering if there is other options.

Last edited:
Dashcams aren't meant for that kind of service, Data transfer speeds are slow, not real-time, and the few manufacturer's attempting 'cloud' service are experiencing neophyte-type problems with what is essentially new tech to them. At best this is several years away so you need to look for other options. Most phones aren't meant for this constant a level of usage either though they will do it for a short time. This is in the realm of IP security cams and many are purpose-built fir this so those will out-perform anything else adapted to the job anyway.

Phil

Dashcams aren't meant for that kind of service, Data transfer speeds are slow, not real-time, and the few manufacturer's attempting 'cloud' service are experiencing neophyte-type problems with what is essentially new tech to them. At best this is several years away so you need to look for other options. Most phones aren't meant for this constant a level of usage either though they will do it for a short time. This is in the realm of IP security cams and many are purpose-built fir this so those will out-perform anything else adapted to the job anyway.

Phil

Thanks for the reply,

I wasn't actually wanting a camera like this for myself (I've just recently got an A119)

I was more just wondering about the possibility of it, I did think about transfer speeds over WiFi, which is why I wasn't really bothered about the A119 not having WiFi.

It could maybe be done but it'd take a lot of work for it to be good and it would be slow (it wouldn't be too terrible if the camera uploads overnight while the car is parked but then it would have to be powered all that time.)

Not many people would actually need a camera that uploads all footage but it could maybe just upload the locked files (from the g-sensor for example)

Last edited:
It's certainly possible right now, but there are too many hurdles to cross which are in the way. Not the least of which is cost- not many will spend $1K+ on a dashcam.

As I've mentioned before wifi is soon going to hit it's limits. It was not designed for the level of usage it is being put to in replacing every possible hard-wire connection. There is only so much space on the RF spectrum and we can't 'invent' more. Nor can we really limit how wifi is being used so that there is space enough for everybody. As error-correction systems become necessary to ensure your intended signals work properly even more RF space will be wastefully used compounding the problem And if people really understood what all that invisible RF is doing to them they wouldn't like it. The recent musings of Hawking and Musk about AI are pointing out that we have let our technology exceed our intelligence, but I don't expect the people to listen.

We will see such cams oneday and they will be relatively affordable soon after. That is what the people are wanting so that's what they will get. It's not too far away, just not here yet.

Phil

This can be done by doing the following:
1) I connected my A119S to my phone via OTG cable. This presented a media folder to my Android phone. This is the OTG cable I used along w/ the USB cable that came w/ the A119S: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172842717829
2) You can use an Android app similar to "Folder Sync" that will automatically sync specific folders you have on your phone to Box, Google Drive, etc.

I think the Microsoft One Drive app can achieve the same as well...you just need to tell it which folders to scan.

I don't think there's a standalone dash cam that can do it on its own.

Will it still record to the SD card when you do this? Or is this only to upload already-recorded files?

Phil

Unfortunately, no. While the cam is connected via OTG, it behaves like having it connected to a PC. Blue screen is displayed on the A119S and displays "Media Storage". When you disconnect the cable, it starts recording again.

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000X using Tapatalk

Reasonable quality 4K dashcam video takes about 30GB per hour, with front and back dashcams that is 60GB per hour, if you drive 8 hours a day then that is a half terabyte per day. That seems a lot of data to be uploading across a local wifi connection, especially if several cars in your neighbourhood do it every evening when people are also trying to use the Wi-Fi to watch TV, internet access in all the surrounding houses is going to be running very slow every evening! It is also a lot of cloud storage to pay for when nobody is ever going to watch 99% of the video! You may be able to get small amounts of cloud storage for free, but it is never really free, and large amounts will always have to be paid for.

Why not just leave it on the memory card to be overwritten after a few days if it is not needed?

Reasonable quality 4K dashcam video takes about 30GB per hour, with front and back dashcams that is 60GB per hour, if you drive 8 hours a day then that is a half terabyte per day. That seems a lot of data to be uploading across a local wifi connection, especially if several cars in your neighbourhood do it every evening when people are also trying to use the Wi-Fi to watch TV, internet access in all the surrounding houses is going to be running very slow every evening! It is also a lot of cloud storage to pay for when nobody is ever going to watch 99% of the video! You may be able to get small amounts of cloud storage for free, but it is never really free, and large amounts will always have to be paid for.

Why not just leave it on the memory card to be overwritten after a few days if it is not needed?

A very good point, I was just merely wondering the possibility of such feature. :)

Wifi bandwidth isn't much of a problem with 802.11ac and certainly not for the upcoming 802.11ad standard. Even interference in crowded areas isn't an issue with 802.11ad as the 60GHz signal has little penetration ability.

I do agree however that not all of that video needs to go to the cloud, especially given the limitations of our current cellular technology. That doesn't mean we can't come up with a hybrid solution, where the live video can be stored on a cheap large HD and perhaps at the push off a button, the past 5 and following 5 minutes can be steamed live to a cloud repository. It would probably be a remote camera + hidden DVR option. It might not even be super expensive as some have hinted. With the current advancements in low cost computing, somebody might even be able to cobble together a cheap modular Raspberry Pi or similar system that could rival commercial car DVRs in features and cost.

KuoH

Reasonable quality 4K dashcam video takes about 30GB per hour, with front and back dashcams that is 60GB per hour, if you drive 8 hours a day then that is a half terabyte per day. That seems a lot of data to be uploading across a local wifi connection, especially if several cars in your neighbourhood do it every evening when people are also trying to use the Wi-Fi to watch TV, internet access in all the surrounding houses is going to be running very slow every evening! It is also a lot of cloud storage to pay for when nobody is ever going to watch 99% of the video!

You need to check out Blackvue Dashcams. They can backup to the Blackvue Cloud service, and the Data consumption is actually quite reasonable at about 115mb per minute of recorded Full HD video at the Highest setting for the 2 channel system (Front and Rear cameras), less for just 'High' quality video. When you're only sending 'Events', you would only be looking at what?....a couple of minutes worth? Even say, 5 minutes would mean only about 600mb's of data going thru your cellular connection. Their models even have an optional external power source for Parking Mode operation that will record and notify you of someone messing with your parked car.

You need to check out Blackvue Dashcams. They can backup to the Blackvue Cloud service, and the Data consumption is actually quite reasonable at about 115mb per minute of recorded Full HD video at the Highest setting for the 2 channel system (Front and Rear cameras), less for just 'High' quality video. When you're only sending 'Events', you would only be looking at what?....a couple of minutes worth? Even say, 5 minutes would mean only about 600mb's of data going thru your cellular connection. Their models even have an optional external power source for Parking Mode operation that will record and notify you of someone messing with your parked car.

I'm interested in the blackvue.

I'm an Uber driver and crime is pretty bad in my country. I want one in the event that I'm robbed of my car and/or phone that I can access the footage in the cloud.

I have a unlimited wifi hotspot in my car so data usage is not an issue.

What model would you recommend?

Back