Dashcam with dual camera

LeoAygo

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, my name is Leo and I drive a 2012 Toyota Aygo Comfort.
I'm considering buying a dashcam because I drive a lot, about 30.000km each year, and I regularly encounter people with a different opinion on decency in traffic.
I also think driving a small car provokes unwanted behaviour in certain other people. When I was driving a Saab-93 some behaviour was exceptional (like tailgating, cutting me off and so on), now it seems to be the norm.

The sole purpose of having the camera is showing the insurance/police if needed the recordings to have a clear view of what happened.
Day and night vision are important to me, sound quality is not that important. A screen is also not a requirement, I have an Apple 5S so I could use that to setup the camera.

I'm thinking of a camera with one lens facing forward and one lens facing backward to be positioned close to the rear view mirror. So one lens having my perspective and the other having the rear view mirror perspective. This will save me a separate camera unit to be installed in the back of the car. I don't want to pry loose the entire roof lining and than refit it.

I have not found a camera like that yet. Can you give me some advice where to find a camera like that? (I'm from the Netherlands)

Thanks in advance,

Leo

Last edited:
there are not too may cameras with the internal camera like that, most are aimed at the UBER/Taxi market and the quality is not always that great

The problem with a camera like that is that it has to be mounted where it has a good view both forwards and backward.

Normally we mount our front cameras behind the rear view mirror so that they don't block the drivers view, but then a rear view lens can't see anything. Mounting it low enough to see under the mirror is likely to be illegal due to it blocking the driver's view.

A camera with the rear lens in a separate enclosure like the Viofo A129 or Street Guardian SG???DC solves the problem because you can mount the front lens in the best place for the front view and then mount the rear lens wherever you want. Normally we mount the rear lens on the rear window since that has the best view out the back, but you don't have to, you can mount it on top of the rear view mirror if that is the view you want, or if you don't want to run the cable to the back of the car.

A few of the current dual channel cameras you can get a rear camera on a short wire that are aided by IR light, which you need to capture anything in the cabin at night outside of a town and all its ambient light.
Most of the uber / taxi dual channel cameras are flawed in their design and so where you can place in on the windscreen, a #2 camera on a short wire let you place it any side of the mirror all the way out to the A pillars.
This to me are by far the best way and often the only legal way to go about recording the car cabin too.

You can put a cheap camera in the car to film the inside, but they don't have IR aid so not optimal in low light, but i have done this with the test sample of the B1W camera.
img_20180414_143857-jpg.37475

PS. I think what you have noticed in your small car are just the general deterioration of peoples ability to be safe and nice in traffic.

Back