Dashcam with external recording unit?

joealley

Reaction score
Country
Canada
(Note: what I mean by 'external' is not something that goes outside the vehicle, but something that is not built in to the main camera.)
I just began my research to choose the right dash camera for me. One of the features I like the most is the parking recording more. But I was thinking, we *could* take advantage parking mode mot only for hit-and-runs and vandalism, but also for break-ins. However, high chances are, if someone is breaking into our cars to steal something, they will also steal the dash cam. Would be great if camera models came with external main unit and actual cameras are both external (like the rear camera is). This way, we could install the recording unit in a hidden place, and changes that the thief steal the recording unit is minimal if wiring is done in a decent way.
Are there such models that are popular out there? Could find any doing basic searches. One option is to buy a 3 channel camera and hide the main unit but this would be a waste of resources.
Suggestions?

(Note: what I mean by 'external' is not something that goes outside the vehicle, but something that is not built in to the main camera.)
I just began my research to choose the right dash camera for me. One of the features I like the most is the parking recording more. But I was thinking, we *could* take advantage parking mode mot only for hit-and-runs and vandalism, but also for break-ins. However, high chances are, if someone is breaking into our cars to steal something, they will also steal the dash cam. Would be great if camera models came with external main unit and actual cameras are both external (like the rear camera is). This way, we could install the recording unit in a hidden place, and changes that the thief steal the recording unit is minimal if wiring is done in a decent way.
Are there such models that are popular out there? Could find any doing basic searches. One option is to buy a 3 channel camera and hide the main unit but this would be a waste of resources.
Suggestions?

I've been looking for something like this for a long time too. I'm surprise no one has made a dashcam like this.

There are bike cameras like that, look in the action camera section

Suggestions?
Have you looked at the Street Guardian SGZC12RC ?
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/sgzc12rc.162/

Unfortunately I think production has stopped and there might not be any left :eek:
@Street Guardian Canada might be able to help?

There are bike cameras like that, look in the action camera section

That was a great hint. Thanks to that clue I found this Innovv that specilizes in bike cams but provides a kit for cars. Not sure about reputation. Still seems a waste to have a unit with screen capabilities hidden somewhere not visible. That's a good start. I'll continue my research.

The action cam also focus on regular camcorder adaptations to be used as dashcams. @jackalopephoto, do you know any other specific model such as this Innovv K1 that is built with dashcam purpose?

That was a great hint. Thanks to that clue I found this Innovv that specilizes in bike cams but provides a kit for cars. Not sure about reputation. Still seems a waste to have a unit with screen capabilities hidden somewhere not visible. That's a good start. I'll continue my research.

The action cam also focus on regular camcorder adaptations to be used as dashcams. @jackalopephoto, do you know any other specific model such as this Innovv K1 that is built with dashcam purpose?
Having a screen on the main unit will assist you with aiming the cameras and navigating the setup options.

Going back to your original post. If a thief steals a car and finds a camera with no memory card inside, I'm sure he could easily trace the cable back to the remote recording unit.

Having a screen on the main unit will assist you with aiming the cameras and navigating the setup options.

Going back to your original post. If a thief steals a car and finds a camera with no memory card inside, I'm sure he could easily trace the cable back to the remote recording unit.

Car theft is pretty rare though, what is way more likely is car burglary. And these people are in a hurry to get out of there, they aren't going to trace a cable

Another possibility could be SDI cameras. SDI is a digital standard used in the TV industry. There are some relatively cheap cameras that are probably really high quality, and you can set up recording units that store on hard drive. But for the whole setup you'd be spending a lot of money

Back