Dashcam with GPS and OBDII?

Chelsea

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
I work in research on people's driving behaviors, and we are looking to get dashcams that have GPS and OBDII readings integrated as our current set-up has so many wires all over the place it's a nuisance to our participants. I think we wouldn't mind say a Bluetooth-connected OBDII, but we certainly don't want a lot of wires. (We currently have a data logger, a GPS, and a camera, all of which are powered by the cigarette lighter, so we have to have a splitter - so four pieces of equipment!)
In reviewing what I could, I found only three that have all three pieces integrated - the Coby DC 8000, WASPcam POD 9401, and Shadow GT880S. I know there's the LK series where the OBDII can be an optional item, but I want to first explore the ones with everything in one piece if possible. My issue with the three listed is there is no information on whether the OBDII data is just displayed, or if it is recorded. These instruments will be in the participants' vehicles for about 2.5 weeks, so we need something that will be able to store all that data as well; these three are all capped at 32GB, and I'm not sure if that is sufficient. We are not looking to use phone apps, either, as that comes into big ethical issues we're not necessarily willing to handle.
Does anyone have any suggestions, feedback, comments, or advice?
Thank you!

Welcome to DCT forum.
You have to look into specifications of each OBD based dashcams if it will be fully compatible with your car.

is the video needed as much as everything else, you can get some OBD devices that log everything along with GPS info, just no video, they plug directly to the port so not very intrusive

could always use one along with a dashcam and sync afterward

Welcome to DCT forum.
You have to look into specifications of each OBD based dashcams if it will be fully compatible with your car.
Thanks, niko. The issue we will face when we get to that point is all our participants will have different vehicles most likely - they drive their own vehicles. That's the next issue once I find something that may even work. The set up we have now works with most vehicles.

is the video needed as much as everything else, you can get some OBD devices that log everything along with GPS info, just no video, they plug directly to the port so not very intrusive

could always use one along with a dashcam and sync afterward
Thanks, jokiin. Yes, the video is necessary so we can monitor their driving behaviors in relation to the world around them, which isn't provided by GPS alone. Right now our set-up has the independent devices that we later sync (OBDII data logger, GPS, and video camera); I was hoping to find something that may reduce the amount of devices and wires we currently have.

Thanks, niko. The issue we will face when we get to that point is all our participants will have different vehicles most likely - they drive their own vehicles. That's the next issue once I find something that may even work. The set up we have now works with most vehicles.
Full dashcam OBD options / functions coming from Korean dashcam brands ( Lukas, Blacksys etc.) and they are programmed for Korean popular cars. For many "foreign cars" half of OBD functions doesnt work.

Have you checked into the cost of the commercial systems, like DriveCam?

Back