Dashcam with integrated rear facing camera for a convertible

Solaris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a dash cam with an integrated rear facing camera designed to capture the road behind the car, rather than the interior like a lot of the units I have found seem to do (so called taxi cams).

My car is a soft top convertible so mounting a separate rear camera on the rear window is out of the question. When down the roof doesn't retract into the body of the car which also rules out mounting something on the back headrests/seats as it would be obscured when the roof is open.

So far I have come across the Nextbase 3/4/522 models with add the option of adding on a telephoto rear facing camera, however I have two small concerns. Firstly there seem to be quite a few teething issues with the new Nextbase models, especially with the add on camera modules. I expect this will be fixed in time with firmware updates, however it isn't encouraging. Secondly the add on module seems to be located on the right hand side of the camera, making it hard to tuck behind the rear view mirror on a right hand drive car. It would either be quite off centre to the left of the rear view mirror on the passenger side, or slightly in the way on the drivers side blocking a sensor on the rear view mirror and, potentially getting in the way of the 'don't place items in this part of the windscreen' rules in the UK, although in practice I have no idea if this is an actual real issue or would be fine in reality.

Does anyone have any experience of the above? I'm wondering if there is an alternative product out there I may have overlooked or if the Nextbase is the only option apart from going for just a front facing camera.

Check if X2WRC323 suits your needs

X2WRC323 (7)-700x700_0.jpg
X2WRC323 (8)-700x700_0.jpg

The A129 Duo IR has a front-facing wedge-style camera that can sit behind the rear view mirror, and a separate rear-facing camera that can be located at a convenient position at the top of the windscreen, with a short cable between them. This second camera can be set to IR or colour mode.
post-3488-1561130624.jpg

The SGGCX2PRO is a similar wedge-style front camera than can be combined with the X2WRC323 rear camera mentioned by Niko above. This very discreet second camera can also be mounted at the top of the windscreen on a swivel mount, and records in colour.
1561527844299-png.46935

The Blueskysea B2W (not yet on sale) combines both front and rear cameras into a single unit. Unlike the Nextbase models you mention, the rear-facing camera is on the left side, so you may be able to fit it more discreetly behind your mirror. The B2W has an auto-switching IR cut filter, so it can record colour in daylight and IR at night, or it can be set to colour full-time.
y4myGaIx3WkBJqlAnGuD2vnjUngh9I3imbZ7cpA-5I_KGhItGpgdC0o3Khe4stKInLKsGUbjEJyHv507gY0MwSaZOCdYZlGZTJjHJIokbhVqcVCKEqD1g6nsUm3CUJlqMhCutbLzGn7dTXcFue-8G7AdoYTFtpadGgV5mfa2ue9p6m7c6yXXFbYiq-zAkSTSQ8dJq8mcgILS0cgUaDdnHBqeA

The A129 and SGGCX2PRO are more discreet than the B2W. All three will record a decent view behind and to the sides of your car, although they will inevitably record the interior of the car too. If you don't want to record the interior at all, then the remote X2WRC323 seems to be one of the better options available.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

The Eachpai X200 is an option as well.

Back