Dashcam with live audio and POE

bobd

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need a dash cam that uses POE to connect to my laptop with a web browser and provide live video and audio that I can then send out over my existing wifi network. Are there any such?

Sounds more like a home security NVR appliance. That setup won't be built for the high heat sun trapped environment of a car.

There are some network cameras that allso have a onbord SD card and wifi that i assume you can access via the RJ45 cable or the wifi, POE is allso a option on network cameras but your laptop dont support it.
So you could insert a POE injektor on the network cable, but that will just add to the mess of cables.

Dont know what there is in the pins of RJ45 cables, but my home NVR have a seperate 48 V PSU for the POE part, the NVR itself run on 12 V.
My POE cameras is either powered by 48V via the RJ45 cable, or by the 12 V plug thats allso there in spite of the camera supporting POE.

So in short there is some network cameras you can use, but ther performance ( i assume ) will be less then stellar compared to a dedicated dashcamera.

Allso keep in mind if you want to establish a surveillance point in your car, the windows will often ( depending on your location offcourse ) be obscured by dew-rain-snow and other good stuff comming down from above.

I think Ip cameras can handle the heat, hanging on a wall beeing baked directly by the sun, must be just as bad as sitting in the shade inside a car that is beeing baked by the sun.

Last edited:
Back