Dashcam with REAL parking mode

Try going from working with 24fps to 120fps and say there's no difference. There's a big difference, it's not going to be a completely linear relationship because there's a lot of factors, but higher framerate means more data. Sure the control over filesize is with the bitrate, but that also controls the quality, and framerate is rather a large variable for quality.
I'm coming from an entirely different area of video though and maybe these encoders just can't deal with things the way I expect.
The frame rate really only controls the smoothness of the video, not the quality.

Encoding dashcam video is different to normal video because typically the entire image is changing continuously, for low bitrate TV video that almost never happens and the producers take great care to limit the amount of change per frame so that they can fit the video into the low bitrates available for TV. For parking mode dashcam video there may not be many changes per frame, but when the accident happens and you actually want the video recorded, you can be sure there will be a lot of action!

Yes a event, or at least the event itself will only be like 30 frames of your footage.
if you have anything leading up to that event thats just icing on the cake, and will give investigators / insurance guys a better chance of putting blame in the right place.

And yes i will take higher bitrates any day parked low FPS or driving 30 / 60 FPS, even on current micro sd card format as large memory cards are getting cheaper, and you need that when 3 minutes of footage take up 450 - 500 MB.
I have compared cameras running 30 and 60 FPS ( same bitrate ) and any gain are extremely marginal and down to chance, cuz every plate capture i got on the 60 FPS camera i also got on the 30 FPS camera.
But i would still prefer 60 FPS,,,, hell even 120 FPS, cuz that just allow me to slow down things more, and in the daytime with light give me more chances of that one capture i might need.

Look, we're both exaggerating.
If you halve the framerate you probably can't halve the bitrate and achieve the same quality - but you can certainly decrease it (this is my point). More frames = more data, it can't be compressed so much better that the file size and quality actually stays constant - otherwise you should always increase framerate since you can store it for free, your only limitation would be getting enough light at high shutter speeds. For a still image you might be able to get near constant size/quality, but not when there's any movement.

Faster FPS is generally good for daytime, but often leads to worse results at night because the sensor has less time to become fully illuminated and adjusted to the conditions. With a good cam (and not a lot are really good) it seems that 60FPS day and 30FPS night is what gets the best vids with 1080P and 1440P cams. If you can't be troubled to reset that every morning and evening the 30FPS setting won't lose much daytime. Of course there's more to it than FPS, but IMHO that is the most important of the basic settings, and more isn't always better here.

Personally I'd be happy to lose crappy functions like g-sensor, LDWS etc if that programming space could be used to create better videos through better auto-adjustments of the cam. But as I understand it, this space can't be used that way so until we get better SOC processor designs we're stuck with what we've got.

Phil

Hi all,

I have a Blackvue DR750S-2CH with Cloud (4G wifi router) in my car and in my wife's car and I'm fully satisfied.

I'm still watching what chinese manufacturers are developing, and I've found this dashcam : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000216697740.html

A user comment says that this dashcam is comparable to Blackvue DR650S but no information about buffered parking mode.

Is there now some chinese dashcams with buffered parking mode in 2020 ?

Viofo A129 Duo (FHD) and A129 Pro (4K).
Thanks, I know this model

comparable in appearance, it ends there
The user says menus are comparable. Except Viofo, do you have any information about chinese manufacturer working on buffered parking mode ?

I don't think comparable menus means much, for a camera without a screen that just implies that the app design is similar

Not aware of anyone else working on adding buffered parking mode, it's a band-aid fix for unreliable motion detect, a few have achieved reasonable results but I've yet to see any that have perfected it, still too hit and miss for my liking

Thanks @jokiin for these interesting informations.
I didn't think buffered parking mode could be that complicated

Back