Dashcam with specific parameters

Torque240

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hey everyone.

I've looked through this section of the forums, and went through the site looking for a cam that would suit my needs, but I either didn't find what I'm looking for or simply got overwhelmed by the amount of data.
So, please help me!

I own 2 cars, and I already have the A119 on my 1st car, but I can't just get another 119 for the second car.
The reason for that is that the 2nd car is parked quite far from my house, and I need a cam that can be removed so little punks won't break the window to steal it.
Even the great form factor of the 119 doesn't help, because the car is old and no matter how good the form factor is, it would look odd.
So it has to be removable.

Also because the car is parked far from my house, I would be glad if the cam would have wifi capability with an app so I dont have to remove the card/camera in order to extract a video.

As far as battery/capacitor, I don't think it would matter because like I said, whenever the car is parked the cam would be removed and placed in the gloves compartment. so it won't absorb any direct heat while the car is parked.

Other requirements are the usual ones, good video quality, reliability, etc...

So far I looked into the Xiaomi cams, and all in all they seem to be the right choice, any thoughts on this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Garmin Dash Cams tick the boxes for what you want. I had the Dash Cam 45 and was very happy with it but it developed an issue so it needed to be returned. After returning I went with a unit that didn't have a screen.

A major issue with the Garmin, and why it might not meet your needs, is the WiFi app (Virb) was absolute garbage on my phone, which is a Google Pixel 2. It would take several attempts to connect and even more to download a video. At one point I tried like 20 times to download a video and finally gave up after constant app crashes.

If downloading over WiFi is not a must have then the Dash Cam 45 or 55 would be a stellar option. As a bonus, an extra mount for your 2nd car will only let you back $10..

First, thank you for the replies.

DL'ing over WIFI is not a must since it doesn't happen very often that I need to download a video, but it would definitely be nice to have.

The biggest problem I have with the Garmin, is the price. I was not expecting a $200 price tag.

Any other cam that comes to mind but with a smaller price tag? maybe something in the amount of around $70-$80? (even less if possible).

If what i'm looking for is unreasonable, then maybe I need to change my damands :(

Also because the car is parked far from my house, I would be glad if the cam would have wifi capability with an app so I dont have to remove the card/camera in order to extract a video.
Unless you park the car less than 20m from your house (or even less, in some cases), you can forget about WiFi. Dashcam's WiFi range is usually very short. But since your goal is to remove the camera from the mount when the car is parked, I think it'll be easier for you to remove the card and view the files on your phone with a USB card reader or extract them in a computer.

Copying files off a memory card to the computer at upwards of 100 MB/s are a lot more pleasant to work with than the X or really low XX MB/s you get over wifi.

yes it really is that slow, dashcams do not have the latest kick ass wifi technologies, but off course the transfer speed in a card reader also depend on the card speed class too, i cant tell how happy i was when i upgraded my old card reader to a USB 3.0 one, finally maxing out the speeds my cards was able to do.

But i think most people that set off saving everything soon drop that and only save what need to be saved ( 1% or so )

When i dive onto my cameras footage i might have 10 files around 300 Mb each, then i then have cut it down the the essentials i have 30 - 40 seconds of action i can put on youtube.

And not forgetting is it a good idea to once in a while go over the files on the memory card to see if they ( file name made of time/date ) correlate with your latest drives as you can recall them, and make sure a random selection of the files can actually launch and play using what ever player you use on the PC.
In a good dashcamera the memory card are always the weak link, and trust me even the finest brand name cards can go sour, some even frightfully fast.

We have seen it many times in here, some new guy come to the forum with the horror story like " i have just been in a accident, and my camera dident save it or stopped recording weeks ago"
And then we again have to explain the perils of cheap dashcams and maybe cheap / fake memory cards, and that even the most expensive dashcam are not really set and forget, though some claim to be.

To survey a memory card ( 128 GB ) it take me 5 - 10 minutes, mostly focusing on the last files in every drive session, and i do this about every month on average ( have 4 or more cameras in my car some i dont get footage often ( side cameras )
And offcourse dont play the whole 3 minute file, just make sure it can launch and the footage look good ( focus can shift on cameras and become soft or outright blurry )

Last edited:
Back