Dashcam with Wifi Sync for GPS log files

jakatal

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi there,

I am using a quiet old dashcam for some years and want to replace it now. Indeed, I read a lot about functionality that some dashcams can upload the recording through a Wifi e.g. to a NAS or Cloud - but usually the data transfer takes quiet a time.

Indeed, I do not need much the video files (as I just would use it in case of accident...), but new models can do also GPS logging.

Is it possible to transfer the GPS log files via Wifi to a NAS or cloud?
So that I can use later on (when the car is off) some windows app or alike to have a look on the routes?

I think the GPS log file upload would be just a few seconds max for data transfer on an average wifi conneciton, right?

Thanks!

Welcome to DCT @jakatal :)

The newest Thinkware and Blackvue cams offer the easiest connectivity to the cloud or an NAS, but I am not sure if there is a way to separate GPS data from the recording before the data is sent. It may be possible afterward for those who know how.

Other cams can also give the connectivity at slower rates which is probably what you are speaking about. Dashcam wifi has previously been quite slow but it's speeding up with these new cams so perhaps using one of them can be quick enough, although there is still the issue of cost for sending the large amount of data to the cloud away from your NAS.

Link to a post HERE from someone with more experience and knowledge than me about these newer cams, and you can find more about them researching for the specific model you think you might like.

Phil

Nearly all the current dashcams store the GPS data in the video files, so to upload the files is a lot of data. There are probably still some that have seperate files, but I think you would be better off using a seperate GPS logger device intended for the job, then you really do get small files and you can choose a dashcam because of its video ability instead of its file transfer ability.

No camera with separate GPS info, dashcam viewer have just gotten a option to split GPS info off into a standard GPS format of some sort, but this is a manual thing you have to do with a piece of software ( if your camera of choice are supported )
As Nigel say a GPS logger, maybe with a 4G option you can get GPS data from, but i am unsure if it is automated, and how those files are sent, but i think thats the best avenue for pure GPS info.

A dashcam you should choose of its image quality - its general quality and the support the brand or resellers give, anything smart you should try and avoid as it can be additional source for grief and some times the smarts come at the cost of image quality.

Seperate GPS file is common on Ambarella based cameras, Ambarella based cameras aren't that common though these days

Nearly all the current dashcams store the GPS data in the video files, so to upload the files is a lot of data. There are probably still some that have seperate files, but I think you would be better off using a seperate GPS logger device intended for the job, then you really do get small files and you can choose a dashcam because of its video ability instead of its file transfer ability.
Hi thanks, yes that would be an idea as well.... but I only came across the idea to replace my outdated dash-board camera as I haven't found such a GPS logger (which would upload through Wifi those log-files). If you got a link for such a device let me know! Thanks

No camera with separate GPS info, dashcam viewer have just gotten a option to split GPS info off into a standard GPS format of some sort, but this is a manual thing you have to do with a piece of software ( if your camera of choice are supported )
As Nigel say a GPS logger, maybe with a 4G option you can get GPS data from, but i am unsure if it is automated, and how those files are sent, but i think thats the best avenue for pure GPS info.

A dashcam you should choose of its image quality - its general quality and the support the brand or resellers give, anything smart you should try and avoid as it can be additional source for grief and some times the smarts come at the cost of image quality.
But as I assume I can go down with the image quality and frame rate tremendously, could I generate a low-resolution low-fps video WITH GPS data inside? Such that the data transfer is not a big issue? Actually I got a wifi AP near the parking spot of my car, so I assume the data transfer for a ride (max. 30 minutes usually) should be transferred in 1 or 2 minutes max (including search an connect with Wifi AP)

Best to use things as intended. Let your dashcam give you good images (and while parked if you wish), then use a GPS tracker to document position.

Phil

Back