Dashcamera CPL lens filter Manual adjustment ( How to adjust DIY )

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
In this video tutorial I am going to show you how you can quickly adjust your dashcamera CPL lens filter at home to correct angle.

I am using AOC 2434pw monitor, which is 45 degree polarized.

NB! If you are not sure if your PC / laptop monitor is polarized at 45 degree, please read posts below starting from @Nigel #5

Lens adjustment chart

CPL lens adjustment chart.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice, thanks !

Is your monitor polarized at 45 degrees?

Most monitors are polarized vertical... unless you are viewing your charts on a tablet which would normally be polarized at 45 degrees?

Most monitors are polarized vertical... unless you are viewing your charts on a tablet which would normally be polarized at 45 degrees?
My Dell LCD is 45 degrees - haven't bothered to check my phones, tablets, laptops, etc.

My Dell LCD is 45 degrees - haven't bothered to check my phones, tablets, laptops, etc.
Some Dell ones are because they are designed for either portrait or landscape use, being at 45 degrees means that you can see them through polarised glasses whichever way around they are, although only at half brightness, most monitors and TVs are vertical so you get full brightness through polarised glasses.

Reactions: Mtz
It seems some monitors are vertical while others are 45 degree. My 29" AOC monitor doesn't match video demo. (is off by 45 degrees, all black when held completely horizontal, and clear when held completely vertical) It's probably because it's designed to be rotated portrait/landscape as @Nigel said.

This would explain the variance in performance after tuning. We'll need to clarify this further.

We'll need to clarify this further.
For most monitors, and nearly all TVs, the camera with the CPL fitted correctly should see the TV image when held normally but see a completely black image when held at exactly 90 degrees to normal.

For most monitors, and nearly all TVs, the camera with the CPL fitted correctly should see the TV image when held normally but see a completely black image when held at exactly 90 degrees to normal.

So is my example using my 29" AOC the norm or exception? (see below)

hNNkWPAm.jpg
YlJiuqdm.jpg
eLBq0NCm.jpg

that one is adjusted wrong no matter which way your monitor is

I just tested a few more and they all have the same exact behavior. Maybe they are being assembled 45 degree incorrectly? We'll need to double check re-adjust them as needed moving forward.

It's unclear what my monitor is doing and which angle I should be adjusting for. I think I need to do a white paper test, and then bring it back in to confirm

it shouldn't be black when horizontal, should either be black at vertical or 45 degrees depending on your monitor type

I just checked this again now and it's black when vertical when held in front of my Philips monitor but it's black when held at 45 degrees in front of a Samsung monitor

I just edited my post. I am using AOC 2434pw monitor and it's looks like it is 45 degree polarized.

Might be best to use a TV instead, they are almost all vertically polarised - black when the camera is at 90 degrees to normal.

Might be best to use a TV instead, they are almost all vertically polarised - black when the camera is at 90 degrees to normal.

Yes, on LED TV CPL filter is black when vertical.

I just edited my post. I am using AOC 2434pw monitor and it's looks like it is 45 degree polarized.
I also have an AOC monitor, but that is black when vertical.

Back