Dashcams Did Their Job Today (Street Guardian + Mobius)

Jeremy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC & Mobius 1
Hey Guys,

Been a while. I'm not a big member here but I'm an early adopter of the original Street Guardian 9665GC. My wife was running this in her car today, along with a Mobius for the rear cam.

My wife was rear-ended today, pretty bad. She was thrown into the car in front of her. Firstly, she's OK. She recalls her head hitting the steering wheel, so that means her seatbelt brake must not have engaged. I'm not entirely sure why. Must have been something about the way she and the car moved as she was hit, then thrown forward. It must have been slow enough that she moved forward in her seat without the seatbelt brake engaging, then when she hit the car in front, she must have been close enough to the steering wheel that her head could swing down and hit it. At the scene, EMTs said she seemed ok. At least they didn't see a need to rush her to the ER automatically. We later went into the ER ourselves after getting the car home, getting something to eat, and calling our insurance. We got back from the ER about an hour ago, where she had an Xray taken. I had to wait outside due to COVID but told my wife to the ask the doc about whether she might need a contrast CT scan to check for bleeding, and the Doc said it didn't seem necessary at this time.

The car is likely totaled. It's a 2003 Avalon XLS in great condition, but with a Salvaged title. I'll be surprised if we get $1500 for it. I'm heartbroken, as I loved this car and it's worth far more to us than whatever we'll likely get. I've had it since 2009 and it was my first serious car as a young man. It's been my wife's car ever since we got our Highlander in 2015.

My wife was coming to a stop to make a left turn. The white Nissan in front of her was stopped, also turning left. A young man in a white Kia travelling behind my wife wasn't paying attention (as seen on the Mobius footage) and slammed into her. My wife was out delivering some milk to her sister across town, as we are about to go out of town tomorrow and didn't want the milk to go to waste. When she called me, somehow I just knew she'd been hit. She had no reason to call so soon, and I knew something must be wrong. I could tell it wasn't just a fender bender by her voice. When she mentioned a 3rd car was involved, I told her to call the police right away. I'm glad they were there, they took all the info and gave us a case number, so insurance and medical can all go through that case. When she got to the ER, they already had all the info and had even seen pictures.

I gotta say guys, I consider myself lucky. It's probably been 2 years since I checked my footage, and lately I had been telling myself I need to check the cameras to make sure the SD Cards hadn't died out. Fortunately, they both were working just fine. The SG9665GC did it's job and automatically moved the 1 min file with the collision into the locked file folder based on the G sensor data. I'm sure you'll notice the SG footage is pretty blurry. This is a V1 unit I got in 2015. I commented on this issue back in sept 2018. This particular unit I personally opened up and performed the refocus on. So for whatever reason it appears to have de-focused again (the windshield is also dusty). I'm not really upset about this. Apart from the focus issue I'm happy to have a camera that's been working reliably and did it's job in the moment.

Time for a new car... :cry::cautious::giggle::(o_O:cry:

Last edited:
I believe I had put epoxy on it (I was into JB weld at the time). I'd have to open it back up and double check. I won't be able to check for several days as we're going out of town tomorrow on urgent business for several days, but I'll update here once I've confirmed, and if I was able to refocus it again.

it looks a bit dirty as well as the focus, possibly an adhesive that has some sort of fumes, might be worth checking the lens is clean while you're working on it, UV adhesive is ok to use and won't cause any fumes that can fog things up

First of all, good to hear that your wife is OK. Second, this shows the potential benefit of having front & rear cameras. Third, you did well to choose reliable cameras that carry on working for years, although checking footage and replacing cards is still good practice. In this case you didn't need to capture any number plates because everyone stopped at the scene.

It came out nice after all, but yeah you really should be careful with the older cameras that do not give any warning about dead memory cards, actually they will sit there and appear to be working just fine by looking at it.
Probably will not be hard to rope the missus into spending money on a new camera beside a new car.

Looks like the first thing he did was retrieve his phone that fell out of his hand.

Hehe yeah.
It is scary so focussed many people are in that little gadget, i am sure in history this time will be describer like the first electronic plague, cuz really people not being able to put that devise down, that is sick.

Back