United Kingdom
Cost is not a factor here

Requirements

Quality recording front
GPS tracking
Speed monitoring

Nice To Have

Quality recording to rear - camera would need to survive outside
Screen which acts as camera when reversing - tablet ?
Screen which can be used as a sat nav - thinking here of an independent tablet somehow linked to the dashcam ?
Auto upload to the cloud - possibly using the tablet data ?
Potential link to battery or power supply

Auto upload to the cloud - possibly using the tablet data ?
What do you want to be uploaded to the cloud?

I know that 4K 60fps video from front and rear cameras uploaded live 24/7 and stored in the cloud for historical access would be nice, but there are some difficulties associated with that!

What do you want to be uploaded to the cloud?

I know that 4K 60fps video from front and rear cameras uploaded live 24/7 and stored in the cloud for historical access would be nice, but there are some difficulties associated with that!

We have multiple vans, the idea of having to go collect data cards from them is impractical so all the information needs to be uploaded and if you are uploading data, then why not video ?

Sure, you run out of bandwidth and storage but the data points would not need overwritten, only the video and as the dashcams already use sensor stuff to block off video they don't overwrite, then surely the same could be done to ensure that data was retained locally and also marked in the cloud for non deletion.

No regular dashcam even comes close to meeting all your wants. You'll have to look at cams meant for trucks or fleet use, and even then you may not find one meeting all your wants. Won't be cheap, not even close, and most of those have low resolution and low data bitrates on all but the main forward cam.

There has been some discussion on this site regards "fleet cams" but AFAIK no members with actual experience using them. Some things like 'station mode' allowing automatic downloading and cloud recording do exist in automotive dashcams, and some have waterproof secondary cams, but things like GPS tracking and speed monitoring aren't here and li8kel;y won't be, as having those recorded to the card is enough for our usage. Wish I knew where to point you for good info on fleet cams. If you find something good please let us know so we can better help others!

Phil

I hear you.

It is the same every time I come back here. Marginal progress seemingly dictated by what the vendors want to deliver rather than what customers want to have and most dictated by a need to be low in price.

It was argued a few years ago that once dashcams go mainstream and manufacturers pick up on the idea, that all the secondary market will disappear. I mean, no-one makes aftermarket electric windows anymore do they ?

I hear you.

It is the same every time I come back here. Marginal progress seemingly dictated by what the vendors want to deliver rather than what customers want to have and most dictated by a need to be low in price.

It was argued a few years ago that once dashcams go mainstream and manufacturers pick up on the idea, that all the secondary market will disappear. I mean, no-one makes aftermarket electric windows anymore do they ?
Good point on the vehicle manufacturers offering factory options. Have you considered two units per vehicle? Obviously this doubles your cost, but whatever features would be in front would also be in the rear. Maybe install the rear unit in an enclosure that is weather proof. Just brainstorming...

Blackvue dr750x truck models support most of your needs. They also have a driver monitor version which can watch driver attentiveness although note I have not used that particular module myself, only the standard cam.

What it can do with an LTE hotspot (or the BV LTE module), and their cloud plan:
- Auto upload of incident footage (in low quality)
- Alerts for out of area/geofencing (with their fleet plan)
- Speeding alerts
- live view of cameras on network
- Weatherproof rear exterior camera
- Can be purchased external batteries like Powercell8, Celllinkneo, etc for extended parking mode. Default install path includes hardwire kit for shorter term parking mode.

What it cannot do:
- It cannot act as reverse / backup camera
- Does not auto upload all footage to cloud
- There is no screen. I would recommend installing a separate sat/nav device if you need this.

Do keep in mind the limitations of the cloud and data transfer mean that if you need to grab 4K footage you're still best to get it directly off of the memory card. Cloud footage is at a very low resolution and is best for driver monitoring only, not like reading license plates. As well if the vehicle is in an incident that cuts the power to the camera, it won't be able to auto upload incident as this does take a few minutes to process.

Back