Dashcams with Wireless transfer when you get home?

jpiszcz

Reaction score
Currently using two Genius DVR-FHD590s.

Was curious if there are any Dashcams that will automatically sync new video to your computer when you get home via Wifi? Taking out the MicroSD card every so often is rather cumbersome.

Welcome to DCT!

Regarding your question, even if such a camera existed you're better off transferring the files directly from the card. Unless you have time to wait. A lot of it. :)

In theory and maybe some how even in practice this can be achieved even now, however it's not practical with the technology used at present. Dashcams have low data transfer rate and it will take ages to transfer your few hours daily journey via your home wifi. This may also affect car battery a little bit ( depending on how many hours you will be transferring recorded files ). Quicker will be old-school way by just removing a memory card and via PC high-speed USB you can transfer few hours recording in minutes.

Some owners enjoy spending hours and hours each day reviewing footage from their cameras, especially people who are new to dash cams. Others eventually come to realize that a dash cam is a "black box" and so they only review footage occasionally, or if there is actually an event worth reviewing or archiving.

While many people are enamored with all the bells and whistles and think of their dash cams as a kind of toy, the longer I own dash cams the more I've come to realize that these advanced features just add complexity and expense to the products and often sit around being rarely used. For example, many people seem to now want live viewing via wifi to help aim their camera but once you install the unit you'll rarely need to use it.

I've come to appreciate the value of a basic high quality, reliable dash cam that does the job, day in and day out. Personally, I find that taking out the MicroSD card every so often is not a big deal.

Not even on a daily basis is a big deal. Even if I didn't need to empty the card every day I'd still didn't want to leave it in the camera inside the car overnight. But I only have one camera. :)

Some owners enjoy spending hours and hours each day reviewing footage from their cameras, especially people who are new to dash cams. Others eventually come to realize that a dash cam is a "black box" and so they only review footage occasionally, or if there is actually an event worth reviewing or archiving.....

I plead guilty on both counts. But in my own defense I've been running beta F/W on the 2 cameras in my vehicle almost since I put them in so I have an excuse. The cameras in my wife's car I check 'when I remember to'.

...the longer I own dash cams the more I've come to realize that these advanced features just add complexity and expense to the products and often sit around being rarely used.......I've come to appreciate the value of a basic high quality, reliable dash cam that does the job, day in and day out. Personally, I find that taking out the MicroSD card every so often is not a big deal.
This is the real 'reality'.

The less "bells n whistles" the less stress on dashcam processor, which main purpose is stable reliable performance of recording and saving files.

Currently using two Genius DVR-FHD590s.

Was curious if there are any Dashcams that will automatically sync new video to your computer when you get home via Wifi? Taking out the MicroSD card every so often is rather cumbersome.
That.. was what I thought I was getting with the Blackvue DR650GW line. Unfortunately it does not (yet) work. As to all those that say the download speed is too slow to be practical.. I say nonsense. With a smart phone you can view video.. if the transfer speed is good enough for that... it is adequate enough to download those clips I would like to save or view on my computer. Yes this is only in real time so presumably if.. I wanted to save a 2 hour trip it would take two hours.. THAT would be my choice, No?

That.. was what I thought I was getting with the Blackvue DR650GW line. Unfortunately it does not (yet) work. As to all those that say the download speed is too slow to be practical.. I say nonsense. With a smart phone you can view video.. if the transfer speed is good enough for that... it is adequate enough to download those clips I would like to save or view on my computer. Yes this is only in real time so presumably if.. I wanted to save a 2 hour trip it would take two hours.. THAT would be my choice, No?

It's not always a rule where 2h trip takes 2h to download via wifi. All depends on video data size. For example 1080p 30Fps / 15mbp-s vs same resolution 8Mbps, etc.
The only useful function I see with present dashcam wifi technology in regards to automatic file transfer via home wifi network would be transferring ONLY "Emergency Lock"-files. Those would be short important video files that you manually stored ( by pressing an emergency file lock button ) or the ones activated by g-sensor. Rest files are just normal, usually not valuable files.
For "entertaining" purpose where you want to download some important few hours trip, it is more practical just spend few minutes by removing microsd, going home and copying them to PC.

For "entertaining" purpose where you want to download some important few hours trip, it is more practical just spend few minutes by removing microsd, going home and copying them to PC.
Practical.. absolutely.. But convenient not so much.. that micro SD chip is a pain to get out / replace in a Blackvue DR650GW mounted behind the rear view mirror when you have no fingernails.. it is dark and -20 degrees

Practical.. absolutely.. But convenient not so much.. that micro SD chip is a pain to get out / replace in a Blackvue DR650GW mounted behind the rear view mirror when you have no fingernails.. it is dark and -20 degrees

You should buy a better designed dash cam, move to a warmer climate, not try to remove the SD card at night and stopping trimming your fingernails so often. :D

I agree, I also some time struggle with memory card removal depending on dashcam model. But thankfully for me dashcam is just a set-and-forget and usually I dont remove memory card for weeks, unless I do some sort of firmware or side by side tests.

I will pass on this issue this time, but my take on this is well known ;)

Although I am not sure is there any dash camera in the market suit what you need.

Just take an example of using the Lukas 7950 wifi Duo, it is designed for using the phone application to access your recorded videos.
Or something you don't like to - insert the sd card into your computer

If the manufacturing provide an application for your computer to connect the wifi function, then it will suit your demand.

However, the wifi connection is really depends on your range between the dash cam and yourselve. No matter you are using a phone or a computer to check on the videos, you have to stay inside of the range. So It is very difficult for you to sync videos through wifi connection if you are so far away from it. obviously , it is not like buying a router at your home

JooVuu X will support what you want when the new firmware is ready. (no ETA but foundation is in place)

X cam will be limited in range, and so will any dashcam inside the metal box that is a car.
I would prefer a external antenna if i was to go this route.

Thesting my X cam at my sisters house ( thats not a large house ) if the camera is in the back and i go out the front door then wifi signal is lost.

I know I am beating a dead horse here.. My laptop can "see" and "connect" to the Blackvue when the WiFi is turned on just fine while parked on the street or inside my attached garage. However, for reasons unknown.. the programmers have not included a mechanism to access the files.

Havent looked at my dashcam footage for weeks Only one incident that required a look at so never bother otherwise. I take them out about every 3 months and format the cards and stick them back in and forget about them.
Dont know why people have to review footage where nothing occured. Took mine on holiday overseas and hardly looked at that footage either as endless hours of Tarseal isnt very interesting.

Havent looked at my dashcam footage for weeks Only one incident that required a look at so never bother otherwise.
Are you sure you live in Australia? :rolleyes::D

Dont know why people have to review footage where nothing occured.
There are various reasons for that. Some people might be interested in reviewing otherwise "boring" or "eventless" footage in terms of driving because they want to check video or audio quality, if the camera shakes on rough surfaces, if there are noises that didn't exist before, to remember a conversation they had with passengers or, and this is one of the important purposes a dashcam can serve, to review one's driving. Reducing dashcam's function to only capture bad driving events is very, redundancies apart, reductive. :)

Back