Data research for location sharing app

turtlelocator

Reaction score
Country
United States
First of all, thanks to the admin and I hope I am in the right thread.

Hello, I am a data researcher for Turtler. It is a location sharing app that is under development. I am here to gather information, feedback and personal experience regarding location-sharing apps for cars. I would highly appreciates any feedback, comments or suggestions so we can present a more effective, reliable and user-friendly app for sharing locations.

To show our appreciation to those who provide feedback or replies, please visit our Turtler main page and sign up for a free premium account. Message me once you have signed up and I will include you on our priority list for this free premium account once the app is launched.

Turtler website

Thank you.

perhaps some more detail would be good, can't really see anything on your website without signing up, guessing people might want to know a bit more before doing that

Oh, sorry to confuse you jokiin and thank you for your time replying on this post. I was hoping for answer in general view of using car location sharing app. We have a good plan to what to include in the app. But, knowing more about current thoughts and experience of the user will help a lot in the development process. The main page is only for signing up and appreciating your time for answering this post. Everyone's time is valuable, so its a small token of our appreciation.

well a bit more info about what you have in mind for your app/service would go a long way to generating feedback, people are often hesitant these days to go signing up for something without at least knowing what it's about, not sure if your website is operational behind that signup box or not

not trying to discourage you, quite the opposite, if you add more detail about the service it could generate some interest and spark some discussion/feedback

It is funny ( to me ) how so many people in the world have a need to share just about anything with anyone, myself i never had a need for that, but that might be founded in the fact that i am only surrounded by a very few people.

I can see if you had a company with your people being all over the place, then the knowledge of their whereabouts would be nice for planning the flow of things.

In my phone the least used thing aside for the Bluetooth and wifi is probably the GPS, all are mostly off as i rarely need their service.

Then again i am a out of the ordinary person :D

Its not that i dont like sharing, in here i share just about anything :D you will find little filter on me, but its me deciding when and what to share and people cant just listen in to what the hell is going on between my ears at the moment.

Thank you guys for replying. This is one of the reasons why I have posted a thread in this forum; I can get opinions and ideas not only for the app but how I can create a good discussion to enhance people to participate.

In relevance to email signup scams and tricks, let me just prove to everyone that the main site is a safe site and all emails will be treated with confidentiality. The site has secure connection "https" so any information sent here is secured and private. The app and site are both under development, I apologized if its not yet accessible.
Admin, let me post a linkedin page for this purpose only, thank you.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/10...852,idx:2-1-2,tarId:1486462759075,tas:turtler

To add information about this post, let me start by listing some questions.

1. What will motivate you to use location sharing app?
2. What concerns would you have about using location sharing apps to manage safety of a child?
3. What privacy would you like to have in using this app?
4. What make tracking different from safety management app?
5. Your personal impression about web based location sharing app?

Please be as open as as you can for those who will answer this post.

So what does "turtlelocator" bring to the table which isn't already being offered by someone else?

Phil

The biggest problem (and everyone is guilty of it) is falling in love with your product rather than asking: what problem am I solving for my target market?

Trust me, it's very hard not to fall in love with your product, so it's best to try and start a good habit early.

I believe I have created the wrong impression to this question.

Although I am affiliated to Turtler, I would like to clear that I am not presenting it in this post. I am gathering information to make an app which will be better and considerable to use for car owner.

I cannot define what makes the app better because it is not perfect at its current state.

I am here just to search and gather people's view and personal experience in using location sharing app, in our forum, it will be with regards to car owners.

Honestly, our forum members are very active and I thank you for the current replies.

1: Other than it giving me the location of a buried gold treasure, nothing
2: I dont have any kids myself, but my little sister just had a almighty mess with her youngest girl.
But as my sister is very little tech savy i am sure sneaking a app into her daughters ( iphone sadly ) will be next to impossible.
3: I have a extremely high level of privacy, my phone number is unlisted and only 5 people have it.
I use to have my phone registered in another persons name.
I dont use any apps on my phone and the ones already there i delete or disable, new phone en route to me have a clean android and no GUI or preloaded apps to contend with.
I am not on any social media sites, the people surrounding me all know they can call me night and day is there is something i can do for them, and other than that dont call me with BS run of the mill stuff, please save that until we see each other.
4: I have no idea i have never used either.
5: I have no knowledge about such things, i know where all 6-7 people i know is at any time, and if i am in doubt a phone call will clear that up.
Regarding my internet friends i really couldn't care where they are at any given time, i only wish i could meet with some of them face to face so we could become real friends instead.
And i trust my internet friends also know how to hit me up if there is anything i can do for them, but as this digital filter is in between us there is off course some things i am not able to do for them.

I hope this dont come off as too negative and rant like, but really i am on the side line when it come to tech things like smartphones and what most people do with them.
I have more than enough to deal with on a regular computer and having cookies - google and Microsoft to deal with.
I just hate sites like youtube trying to serve me up, just cuz i have watched a video with this and that in it, so when their suggestions to what i might like pop up i just get a urge to reach out thru my monitor and strangle some one.
And my smartphone , i really dont need it, i just have one now as my parents are now so old and so on they insist of a means to contact me quickly.
But as soon they are gone so are my phone.

But i really do love technology, but some things i just have to run thru the stupid filter and so put them on ignore.

Last edited:
kamkar1 there is no negative reply to my questions, otherwise I should not post this questions to our forum if I cannot take a strong feedback or comment.

Still I highly appreciate your participation in this post.

Yeah im not the best person for your needs, but it look to me like most people have absolutely nothing about sharing anything judging by what they them self post online or permissions they give to APPs more or less allowing them access to all of their phone.

I just read the FTC is suing Vizio for tracking what people watch on their TV, i cant see that lawsuit having much public backup as it appear to me like most people wouldn't be bothered if their Tv told some one whats being watched on it.
https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...illion-ftc-state-new-jersey-settle-charges-it

Googling the phone number for my sisters oldest girl last year i fell over her instagram account, she have about 60 pictures posted there, 55 of them more or less being the same headshot of her self.

I was like WTF ???? but i have not confronted her with that, she is 21, and im 50, so i put that down to a age related thing, and me having no problem remembering the stupid stuff i myself did when i was young and thankfully before the advent of internet and cameras of all kinds.

I believe we are closely on the same age bracket. Out of the topic answer, ages and technology will continue to move forward. To be honest, when I first use internet is when my wife told me she created yahoo account for me and she told me to try messaging her.

I have to adjust to change so I can cope up with the changing demand of my job as a product development and research person.

thanks for making the post lively!;)

I'm much like kamkar1- those who need to know already know, and those who don't need to know will not know because they don't need to :cool:

For your service to be useful to me it would have a user-configurable 'whitelist only' setting without even a confirmation that I use the system (no 'memberlists'). I would have to have total control over what data was being shared and with whom, and it's server would have to use top-level security to prevent hacking. I have nothing to hide really, but the flipside to that is nobody else has any valid reason to be looking for me and I want to know ahead of their finding me if they are looking.

Privacy is a lot like freedom- you either have it or you don't- and there is no 'partial' with either one :eek:

Sharing? Sure- I do a lot of that already, moreso than most and with far more meaningful things than the brain-dead BS found on social media. Those people aren't sharing anything worth having. If I wanted to know their location it would be only so I could try to avoid them :p

So once again- what are you planning on offering that sets you apart from the numerous networks of idiots who want me to join in with their stupidity now?

Phil

The way this thread is going and the predominantly evasive manner this "app" and its ultimate intent and purpose are being presented to us has convinced me that I am not at all interested. My feedback to the developer is "count me out!"

And what the heck does "enhance people to participate" mean? (from post#6)

Principally I was looking for input about features and issues people have with GPS location sharing applications in general, for our market research we like to ask people so we are listening to the market and not just building what we want for ourselves in a vacuum.

Our App will certainly stands out, however, in these areas:

- Data security and privacy. We incorporate an extraordinary system of encryption, policies, processes and hardware to ensure this, from the ground up.
- Exceptionally easy and intuitive User Interface and User Experience, the app is very easy to use.
- The feature range includes many unique aspects, ranging from sharing dynamic, live locations with friends or customers who do not have the app to a bookmarking system that makes sharing favorite locations especially easy.
- Overall our app's goal is to share live, dynamic locations with others more securely and more easily than ever before.

I hope that is helpful. We welcome input for our app that we are steadily becoming more and more proud of, and in appreciation for such input we hope it is nice of us to share free trials of premium accounts. Note that we also will always have a free version of the app as well.

Many thanks!

Principally I was looking for input about features and issues people have with GPS location sharing applications in general

starter question might be what GPS location sharing applications are people using, not something I would go out of my way to use as I don't see much use for it, happy to hear it though if you would like to give some usage scenarios

the only thing I would use which fits into this scenario would be when I use the find my iPhone app to send an alert tone to my wife's phone when I've been trying to call her and her phone is on silent, the service over rides the silent setting

"Thank you! That is great feedback and definitely an interesting use case. Yes, some or many people may not be necessarily in the market for this kind of app. Some example use cases in our target markets include:

- Companies, like service companies, who would like to share the location of a worker who will visit a customer or job site with that customer so they can get a visual and notifications of when they are arriving.

- Companies who would like to auto clock-in their employees based on location or time, and have auto billing of clients based on the workers time per location, etc.

- Significant others who would like notifications of when their partner has left work or almost home to help with their time management, or who would like to know where they are when they are out jogging or biking for example to know they are safe.

- Families who would like to be able to know where their children are. We also have a GPS device that can be used with very young children.

- Friends trying to meet up while out and about town

These are just some examples. Often we think of trying to help out every time you would ever think to yourself "where is so and so...?" Our app can help you know and can help you coordinate.

Back