Datakam Player for Mac

Andrey Vokin

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Datakam released Player Mac.

Users like Datakam Player for Windows (also known as RegistratorViewer). So we decided to create the same application for Mac. Result of our work you could see on the screenshot below.

DatakamPlayerCut.png

Of course there are lot of things to work on. But at the moment Datakam Player supports dash cams from: Mini, BlackVue and Datakam; it allows to cut video fragments from one file or file group.

Download link is here.

You are welcome to make feature requests and submit bug reports.

Last edited:
Main features now:
- Autoloading files list after dashcam is connected.
- File grouping.
- Frame by frame watching, zomming and screenshots.
- Various map providers in all layers - Google, Yandex, OpenSteetMaps, Nokia (Here), ...

- Liteweight: less then one megabyte!
- Don't need the installation (fully portable)!
- Free, and will be free forever!

Soon:
- Exporting video fragments (cropping and joining).
- Other GPS formats supporting.

Please, discuss all bugs and suggestions with Andrey in this thread.

So I downloaded this earlier and checked it out. I'm very impressed with how well it performs. I have a handful of general Media players on my computers both Mac and Windows and by comparison this is one of the most responsive and has very smooth, clean running video display. Very nice considering it is the first version!

Recently, I purchased a Shadow/SeeZeus GT680W so of course, I hope the DOD/Shadow GPS cams will be supported.

Looks good! I don't get much data though in the section below the video, nor does the Google map update. The data is from a Panorama II.

It works, the basics work pretty well. What I've noticed however is that the file grouping doesn't work properly at all.

It's only grouping half of certain journeys;
Sometimes it's including the final clip of the previous journey in the next journey;
Other times it's not grouping clips at all (I made a continuous 180 mile journey last week - no rest stops so camera constantly powered - and there's no grouping at all for that journey).

Upon first loading the app, for a split second it does look like everything gets grouped correctly, but then everything opens up and most of the grouping is gone.

It works, the basics work pretty well. What I've noticed however is that the file grouping doesn't work properly at all.

It's only grouping half of certain journeys;
Sometimes it's including the final clip of the previous journey in the next journey;
Other times it's not grouping clips at all (I made a continuous 180 mile journey last week - no rest stops so camera constantly powered - and there's no grouping at all for that journey).

Upon first loading the app, for a split second it does look like everything gets grouped correctly, but then everything opens up and most of the grouping is gone.

Thank you for feedback, we are investigating the problem

Hello,
do you plan to add support for iTracker GS6000-A7 (Ambarella A7 Chipset) video files? Currently it plays the video just fine, but is unable to read GPS and G-Sensor data. The camera is compatible with RegistratorViewer but it would be great to have it running under Mac OS.

GS6000 is not popular dashcam, so your GPS format will be supported later. In the beginning, we will support most popular cameras.

I continue to explore Datakam Player and I'm very impressed with the magnification features. When I zoom into a video the magnification retains a surprising amount of clarity without pixelation. If I take a screen shot and bring it into Photoshop I can sometimes extract license plate numbers that can't otherwise be captured.

Спасибо Андрюха! So Far So Good!

Right after app is started:
  • In English language mode it shows "Высота" instead of "Elevation"
  • In Measurement system = UK/US - it shows "km/h" instead of "MPH"
After video clip is selected or during playback it shows Elevation and MPH correctly.

Last edited:
Datakam released Player Mac.

Users like Datakam Player for Windows (also known as RegistratorViewer). So we decided to create the same application for Mac.
You are welcome to make feature requests and submit bug reports.

Vadikus and Andrey, thank you, this is excellent! I really like the tiny demand it places on the CPU. Good job! And I wish you would take money for this so as to have an incentive to continue support. :)

Features: Could you make the app remember window size and position? Also, a way to check for updates would be nice.

And please consider publishing the application in Apple’s App Store, and/or macupdate.com.

Best, Lambert

GS6000 is not popular dashcam, so your GPS format will be supported later. In the beginning, we will support most popular cameras.
Hello.
I recently got ahold of VicoVation Marcus 3. I've been using RegistratorViewer under windows for months now with no issue viewing files created by a G1W, VicoVation TF2 and VicoVation WF1.

However when trying to view files created with my Marcus 3 sometimes my Windows 7 machine fails to load the video into the preview window.

My computer flashes comes up with the Blue Error Screen, and reboots itself. After the self reboot my wireless adapter does not function and I have to reboot a second time.
I'm not sure what the Marcus 3 could be doing to cause this.

Good job! And I wish you would take money for this so as to have an incentive to continue support. :)
DATAKAM company is sponsor now, so you get this program only because DATAKAM support. We will continue development.

Features: Could you make the app remember window size and position?
Ok, will be.

Also, a way to check for updates would be nice.
Implemented.

And please consider publishing the application in Apple’s App Store, and/or macupdate.com.
Will be.

However when trying to view files created with my Marcus 3 sometimes my Windows 7 machine fails to load the video into the preview window.
My computer flashes comes up with the Blue Error Screen, and reboots itself. After the self reboot my wireless adapter does not function and I have to reboot a second time.
I'm not sure what the Marcus 3 could be doing to cause this.
Please, don't use this thread for Win-version. It is different projects. But your problem with BlueScreen is must be codec issue. Try to delete ALL installed codecs and install latest k-lite codeck pack.

New version looks fine, thank you!

I hadn’t tried this before v.2.0, this might be a bug:

I stop a video and manually move by single frames using the key commands N or B. Then, when I take a screenshot from within the app (⌘-S), it grabs the screen from the stopping point in the video, not the currently selected frame.

I hadn’t tried this before v.2.0, this might be a bug:

I stop a video and manually move by single frames using the key commands N or B. Then, when I take a screenshot from within the app (⌘-S), it grabs the screen from the stopping point in the video, not the currently selected frame.

Of course, as a work-around or simply to capture a screen shot of a specific section of the image on your screen, you can always use the keyboard sequence - Command>Shift>4>drag mouse.

Of course, as a work-around or simply to capture a screen shot of a specific section of the image on your screen, you can always use the keyboard sequence - Command>Shift>4>drag mouse.

Naturally, but as my Macbook’s screen is smaller than 1920×1080, the resulting image doesn’t give me the whole resolution of the original frame.

Naturally, but as my Macbook’s screen is smaller than 1920×1080, the resulting image doesn’t give me the whole resolution of the original frame.

I see. Using an iMac I hadn't considered that. FWIW, the screen capture feature in v2.0 seems to work as it should on my machine.

Last edited:
Back