Date and time always reset when car star

Frenky Tan

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, 119 Pro, 119S, Yi DashCam
Anyone getting date and time reset back to 2018-01-01 everytime start the car?

Sounds like your RTC battery is weak/dead. Try leaving the camera powered for 24-48 hours and see if it will hold a charge.

By that he mean powered by a wall USB charger for a phone or something like that.
If dead the little battery can be replaced, but you need some technical skill and tools to be able to do that.

How do I change the RTC battery? Any tutorial how to change it?

The latest firmware v4.0 (https://support.viofo.com/support/s...viofo-a119s-a119s-v2-car-dash-camera-firmware) does it work to overwritten the old date?

I mean if the camera start up always with 01-01-2018 will be overwritten?
So i will not lose any footage when I start the car.
I will disable the date watermark in when it written into the video.

Last edited:
How do I change the RTC battery? Any tutorial how to change it?

The latest firmware v4.0 (https://support.viofo.com/support/s...viofo-a119s-a119s-v2-car-dash-camera-firmware) does it work to overwritten the old date?

I mean if the camera start up always with 01-01-2018 will be overwritten?
So i will not lose any footage when I start the car.
I will disable the date watermark in when it written into the video.

From memory, once the RTC (Real Time clock) battery no longer works it will always create new files from the reference date set in the firmware.
Every day you can expect to lose video from previous days.
The firmware looks for the oldest file and will delete it.
I think it will also overwrite a file with the same date stamp.
I don't think it will use GPS information.

Replacing the RTC requires skill in soldering. The battery is about 5 mm in diameter.
In this photo, you can see the silver disc on the left of the picture.
This picture was for a different discussion but it gives you an idea.

I replaced the rtc battery in my a119 V3 a few months ago, didn’t even occur to me to take pics or make a video [emoji53] at the time.

If you have soldering skills and the right tools it’s not that difficult a task but if you’ve never done soldering before I’d get somebody who has the skills to do it.

I might try to replace, have a bit skill on soldering.
But how I get this RTC battery from? The RTC battery doesn't like BIOS computer battery just slide it off and can replace?.
Soldering mean remove the RTC battery holder??

I might try to replace, have a bit skill on soldering.
But how I get this RTC battery from? The RTC battery doesn't like BIOS computer battery just slide it off and can replace?.
Soldering mean remove the RTC battery holder??
Not the same as computer.
There is no battery holder.
The battery is held in place by the soldering tags.

Well that sound sucks, will it possible to use battery holder and a bit extra wire from the board?
So in future just replace the battery without messing around the board with solder.

Picture taken from other post in this forum.
Hmm. it seem the two dots is the it cold welding.

1646576763775.png

Picture taken from other post in this forum.
Hmm. it seem the two dots is the it cold welding.

View attachment 59968
You can get replacement batteries that will have the + and - tabs already welded to the battery, then you just need to remove the old battery and solder in the new. Some users have found these on Aliexpress.

If you look through this thread I posted a pic of the battery

Date and time resets after a few days

If you look through this thread I posted a pic of the battery

Date and time resets after a few days

Your link takes me to an ad for tape to talk.

That dont happen for me, let me try and post the link from my PC browser and no tappa thingamajig.

That dont happen for me, let me try and post the link from my PC browser and no tappa thingamajig.

@IAmATeaf link goes via tap to talk with an option to install tap to talk or bypass to view Dashcamtalk link.

It’s because I use Tapatalk to view the forums.

You can get replacement batteries that will have the + and - tabs already welded to the battery, then you just need to remove the old battery and solder in the new. Some users have found these on Aliexpress.
Any chance you have a link? Specs? Mine has been doing the same thing. I build freestyle drones, so I'm good with my soldering skills.

Any chance you have a link? Specs? Mine has been doing the same thing. I build freestyle drones, so I'm good with my soldering skills.
I would actually contact Viofo and see if they will send you one.

Back