Date and Time Keeps Resetting To Default

cpo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my father in law an A119 for Christmas and installed it for him. He has the one with the GPS module. Firmware updated to the latest. Every time he starts his car, we are getting a "Format Card" warning. He's formatted in the camera numerous times and has the same issue with several cards. He has the format warning every 30 days set in options.

I think I have narrowed it down to a date and time problem. It seems that when he is connected to the Gps module in his vehicle the time is being reset to default (1/1/16 00:00:00) each time he powers the unit. I believe this is triggering the 30day warning.

Resetting the time works when not connected to the gps, but then gets cleared out when the gps is used again.

Is there something I can try that I am missing or is this perhaps a faulty gps module?

UPDATE: I now think it may be a connection issue with the gps module. I just got in his car and it was still acting up. I noticed the display was also flickering. Date was also reset. We pulled the a119 off the gps mount and to look at the pins. During this process the display stopped flickering and the time updated. So far multiple restarts and it's holding the time and no flicker.

Now I need to figure out what it is that's causing a poor connection. It could be that my father in law wasn't pushing it completely onto the mount... but I'll keep a watch on it. Leaving this post in case here are other people with similar troubles or if anyone has any more info for us.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There have been reports that when you flash the firmware, the loader file doesn't completely flash (which is not obvious because it doesn't give any visual confirmation) and this is the result. Try flashing both loader and firmware again, then go into the menu and do a default settings, and see if that fixes it.

Edit: after reading your edit about the mount, I wonder... Are you using the original power adapter and cable, or an aftermarket hardwire kit?

Thanks. So. First. Original cable and USB adapter. I now believe the power is not the issue. When powered off for a while (hour) the next time the unit is powered on, the clock is reset. Then the alert triggers and after that the gps updates the time. I was thinking there may be an issue with the battery that maintains the time over extended power off. The flicker isn't happening now but the time reset is. I'll try reflashing the firmware

Thanks. So. First. Original cable and USB adapter. I now believe the power is not the issue. When powered off for a while (hour) the next time the unit is powered on, the clock is reset. Then the alert triggers and after that the gps updates the time. I was thinking there may be an issue with the battery that maintains the time over extended power off. The flicker isn't happening now but the time reset is. I'll try reflashing the firmware

Make sure to properly set the time zone as well.

UPDATE: I now think it may be a connection issue with the gps module. I just got in his car and it was still acting up. I noticed the display was also flickering. Date was also reset. We pulled the a119 off the gps mount and to look at the pins. During this process the display stopped flickering and the time updated. So far multiple restarts and it's holding the time and no flicker.
You can try to to power the camera from the USB port on the camera instead of from the mount. It can also enable the GPS feature.

under image #6 from top from the privided link it says "Right side - MicroUSB port (power and data)" which is not correct - it's a MiniUSB port, I think.
Right you are! It is now fixed, thanks!

Funny that nobody (myself included) caught that error in the approximately 8 months since I originally posted it! :p

I knew you're gonna like it! :)
Happy New Year!!

Thanks everyone. I just contacted the seller for an exchange and that is now in progress. I don't mind tinkering, but would prefer just getting one that works since this was a gift to my father in law. Hopefully the replacement has no issues. I really like this camera.

Hi Chris, did you figure out what the exact issue was. I just purchased two sets of the new A129 dual dash cams and at least one of the cameras has the same issue. It always resets the time. Today I took off to work, adjusted it, then on the way to work stopped the car, by the time I got at work the time was off again. It must have happened when I turned off the car on the way to work. What was the issue there? The GPS module or that small battery there? My power cable connects to the GPS module and not to the camera itself. Also my car cuts off power to the power outlet completely when I shut off the engine. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, did you figure out what the exact issue was. I just purchased two sets of the new A129 dual dash cams and at least one of the cameras has the same issue. It always resets the time. Today I took off to work, adjusted it, then on the way to work stopped the car, by the time I got at work the time was off again. It must have happened when I turned off the car on the way to work. What was the issue there? The GPS module or that small battery there? My power cable connects to the GPS module and not to the camera itself. Also my car cuts off power to the power outlet completely when I shut off the engine. Thanks.
Sounds like your time zone offset if is set incorrectly. If your using GPS, then the GPS should sync the time according to your setting.

Last edited:
Do I basically say my time zone is GMT -5 and let the GPS sync it automatically? Or what exactly it the correct way of doing it. I tried syncing with phone, that failed.

I just found this thread and I will give it a try: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/newbie-question-a119-gps-clock-gmt-settings.27890/
Yeah, set the correct time zone offset and the GPS will automatically sync the date and time. If you have the wrong offset, your time will always be off.

Yeah, set the correct time zone offset and the GPS will automatically sync the date and time. If you have the wrong offset, your time will always be off.
Yep, just played and tested around. Once you set the time zone and you don’t touch anything else, it works like a charm. I’m in GMT -5 but because of the summer time I set it for -4 and it synced within 10 seconds. I can’t believe SpyTec suppurt is so useless. They are very friendly and quick but they were not able to troubleshoot. Actually one guy told me the other day the GPS has nothing to do with it. Thanks all for the support.

And the consequences of not getting the Date/Time correct continues to amaze me:
  • Date/time displayed on and embedded within the video is not correct.
  • Filenames not correct because they are based on the Date/Time.
  • Wrong files deleted by Loop Recording when the card is full.
  • Automatic GPS Date/Time updates are in error because the Time Zone setting is wrong.
  • The user does not change the Time Zone setting to account for Standard or Daylight Savings time changes.
  • Perceived camera or RTC battery problems because GPS resets the User input Date/Time setting (rightly or wrongly).
  • User ignores incorrect Date/time not realizing there are other consequences.
  • Probably a few more that I don't know about or can't remember.
If you have GPS and it works, I can't think of any reason to ever have to manually set the Date/time in the menu. I can't think of a better reason to have GPS than to update your camera Date/Time clock. I think the automatic GPS updates would even make up for a depleted RTC battery as long as the GPS Date/time update happens before the first file is saved. In a nutshell, getting the Date/Time right is very important in preventing a bunch of other problems, real and perceived, and keeping your camera operating smoothly.

As long as you aren't fighting the gps to set the time, you won't have any problems with files being incorrectly deleted when the card gets full.

Personally I don't bother changing the time zone for daylight savings time. I've also thought about setting the offset to zero and just knowing that it's gmt so DST won't matter. DST is an outdated idea that needs to hurry up and die in a fire.

Back