date/time set to default when changing battery

Tungsten E2

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Seems like the date/time battery is dead. When I change the normal battery date/time are set back to default since 3 weeks. Started during my vacation... :-( Before everything was fine.

Workaround: Have the Git2 connected to powerpack in charging mode while changing the battery will keep date/time.

But how to fox the issue?

' seems I saw a post where an owner found that tiny battery needed a re-soldering!
Try a DCT search

I think I also saw such a report, but can not find it anymore.
Did a search before I started this post.

Seems like the date/time battery is dead. When I change the normal battery date/time are set back to default since 3 weeks. Started during my vacation... :-( Before everything was fine.

Workaround: Have the Git2 connected to powerpack in charging mode while changing the battery will keep date/time.

But how to fox the issue?
If you connect the power bank while changing the battery, it should be no problem.

The issue someone reported before due to the screw issue which near the small capacitor battery which hold the date/time, user remove that screw to solve this issue.

screw was already removed 2 months ago, after reading the post. problem just occured 2 weeks ago.
any other ideas?

is there a chance to replace the internal battery?

I have two Gitup and with both I have problem with the battery.
The first one i bought have a smaller battery than the first one.
On the second one (with the larger battery) I solved the problem for a while with put some plastic between the battery and the screw close to battery.

Now both cameras seems to have dead batteries.

So the latest weeks I have had to live in 2015 01 01...
I'm intrested in a solution too - if someone come up with something.

That's right, I expressed myself unclear.
What I mean is the small built-in battery (or capacitator ). This you only can see if you unmont the front of the camera with the 4 blank screws.

The built in battery (capasitator) has two different sizes on my cameras, one smaller at the first camera i bought (january 2016) and a larger at the second camera (mars 2016).

This small built in batterys function (I believe) is to keep the date, so it does not change when replacing the larger rechargeable battery. (?)

I have had no problem with the main batteries. They are good.
I have 10 of them, two orginal, some Sj cam and some another brand and together with a powerbank I never had run out of power yet!

Here is what happened first time I tried to open up the camera:

(Since I made the video, I have managed to open the camera).

This strange metal objects was on the first camera (in the holes for the screws in the front).
I not put them back, result that two of the screws are not festing properly...
On the second camera I not had this metalpieces.

So after opening it I have been able to focus the lense correctly.
After that the quality on the video / phots is fantastic, I could almost not believe how good it was, even on my big screen.

So good that I almost can accept to have the date set as january 2015...
But it would nice if it was possible to solve - of course.

Last edited:
do you charge the camera battery by connecting power to the camera or in a separate stand alone charger?

I normaly charge the main batteries in separate alone chargers.
But sometimes i connect the camera directly to usb / power with powerbank or wall socket.

I would like to find a solution for the flat internal battery (RTC), because it's convinient to have correct date.
So if someone have a solution about how to replace the RTC battery i'm thankful, believe I should manage to do it myself if I knew where and what to buy.

Been on vacation for some weeks now and used both cameras a lot, come home and all videos have 2015 01 01 as date, that makes it more difficult to sort up and work with the material now.

I normaly charge the main batteries in separate alone chargers.
But sometimes i connect the camera directly to usb / power with powerbank or wall socket.

I would like to find a solution for the flat internal battery (RTC), because it's convinient to have correct date.
So if someone have a solution about how to replace the RTC battery i'm thankful, believe I should manage to do it myself if I knew where and what to buy.

Been on vacation for some weeks now and used both cameras a lot, come home and all videos have 2015 01 01 as date, that makes it more difficult to sort up and work with the material now.

same here. thats why i opened this thread.

the RTC battery is rechargeable, that won't happen if you're charging batteries in a stand alone charger though

does the RTC battery only recharge on USB and not from the main battery?

I don't have the detail but I don't believe it would charge from the camera battery

will try, but this should go to the FAQ for sure, if this is the case. on travelling i charged camera battery in dual charger and only replaced the camera battery.
hm, but after the date/time was reset I also charged the battery in the camera using USB. I believe the RTC was not recharged....

Back