date/time set to default when changing battery

it would take some time to recover I think, it's not my product so I don't have the specific detail but the charge rate on these small cells is typically very small, with regular use they're maintained but if you're regularly charging the camera battery in a standalone charger then the cell has probably been slowly depleting, something maybe for @gitup to investigate, they may need to recommend something like every 3rd recharge (just an example) is done in the camera to keep the RTC battery topped up

Thankyou for point me to the advise to remove the screw close to the battery. I did it now, and after having the main battery out for ca 10 min the date seems to be keept right.

I do not know if it was the removing of the little screw OR that i charged the camera directly that was the solution.

This photos is from my first camera that have a smaller RTC battery than the second camera Ihave.

It was also very interesting to read about that the RTC battery only charges while you connect the camera directly to power. Will try to do that more regulary from now on and see if this solves the problem with (propably) flat RTC battery.

Now I will remove tha main battery to the evening and see if it still keeps the date correct.

If so I will do the same to my another camera.

IMG_20160822_124842.jpgIMG_20160822_124608.jpg

charging the cam for 48 hrs did not help. cam and normal battery become pretty warm. by taking out the battery for 10 sec the date/time are reset. so RTC is not charged.

@gitup: please help

charging the cam for 48 hrs did not help. cam and normal battery become pretty warm. by taking out the battery for 10 sec the date/time are reset. so RTC is not charged.

@gitup: please help
I am checking if that small capacitor can be replaced on user side.

In some days (since my last posting) I have tried to regulary charge the camera directly, hoping that it will also charge the RTC battery, so it would save the date.
But it have not help. I believe I must find a way to change the RTC battery.

In some days (since my last posting) I have tried to regulary charge the camera directly, hoping that it will also charge the RTC battery, so it would save the date.
But it have not help. I believe I must find a way to change the RTC battery.

thx for confirmation of my previous findings.

@gitup any news? how to fix the empty small capacitor?

small correction. i think it is more like a button battery than a capacitor.

Is there any news regarding changing the battery? I have the same problem...

1. removing the screw did not help (small battery)
2. charging only whith USB did not help.
3. firmware downgrade from 1.5 to 1.4 did not help
4. new battery did not help

Thankyou for your report deepz0ne, You seems to have the same problem like I have on both my cameras.

I really like the cameras, but this problem is annoying, because when I sort up the photos and videos in Lightroom it always come in wrong day, usually 2015 01 01.
And then I have to change the date, but sometimes not remember exactly, got the hour wrong etc.
This makes it more difficult to work with the material later.

Was it the small battery you changed?
Do you mind tell where you got it from?

Hi Superleif,
I changed the normal battery, not the small RTC capacitor. I would be very lucky, if I knew where I could buy a replacement capacitor. Maybe somebody know the typ of capacitor used here? Changing will be very fiddly but I think there is no other option.

I am always very conscientious with my photo's and movies. I even have an external GPS-logger to tag the geo locations properly. So the correct date is for me imperative. So, there must be or come a solution from @gitup.

Maybe somebody know the typ of capacitor used here?
It might be ionistor. Any qualified repairer should know how it looks. But the replacement procedure has some percent of risk, can be damaged all the camera.
I think only gitup can give you a best solution for this.

Yes, it would be really appreciated if @gitup or someone came up with a solution on this.
Was in Oslo, Norway yesterday, took some nice photos for timelapse. But now I have to change the date on some thousands of photos, and changing the date means most often I not got it exactly right, and that's a disadvantage when I want to sort them up.
Wait to hear from @gitup on this!

I just had this happen myself. The really weird part is that the camera was sitting in its carrying case w/ all my mounts and stuff, with NO battery in it, for almost 2 months because i just moved (twice actually, long story), and i finally needed the camera again yesterday. so i put a battery in it, and no surprise, the screen showed the battery was half full - normal for it to self-discharge when not being used. but because i'd seen this thread, i checked the date. the date and time were correct, down to the minute! i never did try to sync the seconds when i first set it, because i don't need it that accurate, but the point is the date and time were right after sitting with NO battery for 2 months!

so the weird part is this - i used up a couple batteries and then charged them in my dual USB charger (not in the cam - i almost never charge them in the cam), and it was still ok even after several battery changes. but then tonight i powered up the camera (after it sat about 6 hours with no battery, while they were charging), and time/date was back to 1/1/2015 12:00. all other settings were fine - just time/date were lost. the camera currently has the 1.3 firmware on it (further evidence that i haven't used it in a while). i doubt flashing to the latest will make any difference.

i never had to take out that screw near the RTC battery - up until tonight, my camera was keeping the date/time just fine. that said, i DID take apart my git2 as part of the review process, so maybe that tweaked it enough for it to work this long?

i wasn't using it in a place where it would get a lot of vibration or shock either - it was either on a mount attached to my desk lamp (recording me making modifications to a quadcopter), and then sitting on a small box in my driveway as i tested the mods to the quadcopter. camera was not on the quad... because the quad was barely bigger than the git2 camera itself (JJRC H8 Mini)!

the night i recorded the modifications, i turned off beep and changed it from 1080p60 wide to 1080p60 narrow, and i used it on battery because i had an external mic plugged in. then the next day for recording outside, i changed it back - beep on and back to 1080p60 wide, and again used it on battery, but no external mic. nothing else was changed. it recorded correctly and had the right date/time until the battery ran out - all files are named correctly. it only lost time/date some time afterwards, with no battery installed, because both batteries were in the external charger.

tomorrow i plan to set up the camera to record a time lapse, and i will have it connected to either a USB power bank or a household phone charger to make sure it doesn't run out of power while recording. will see if it loses time/date again.

Back