Daylight savings time...

DAP

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Two Viofo 129 PRO cameras and a Tesla Model 3 4 Channel
How does one set the daylight savings time on the A129 Pro.
I just went through the menus, and did not see a daylight savings time setting.
I set the clock one hour forward, but the GPS set it back to standard time about a minute later.

Yep, its the time zone you have to move to account for that silly thing, on the Map Denmark are +1, but in the summer time we are +2 thanks to that silly stuff

This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

It's not a bug
It is certainly not a feature.
It is an extremely common and necessary feature that is missing from the A129.
Just because a product works as designed does not mean it is designed correctly.
I view the lack of a necessary feature as a bug that needs to be fixed.
I would love it if you could fix this bug by eliminating daylight savings time world wide, but I doubt you can do that.

Last edited:
It is certainly not a feature.
It is an extremely common and necessary feature that is missing from the A129.
Just because a product works as designed does not mean it is designed correctly.
I view the lack of a necessary feature as a bug that needs to be fixed.
I would love it if you could fix this bug by eliminating daylight savings time world wide, but I doubt you can do that.
If you want to put the hour forward then you can, so there is no issue. If you had two different settings for putting the hour forward then people who only noticed one of them would always be complaining that the GPS sets the time wrong, much better to only have one setting!

The alternative is to leave it on standard time, then there is no confusion. All my cameras, except my phone, are always at +0, always correct, no adjustments necessary. Don't have much choice with the phone.

Every camera I have ever owned has had an option for daylight savings time except this one.

Went in to VIOFO settings via Wifi, moved my -7 to -6 and all worked okay. I believe the province BC and SK don't move their clocks. It may happen in Alberta. In fact, more places are dong that, as farmers can work in the dark these days. To verify, I had to start recording, otherwise it doesn't show the change. Long as their manual gives instruction on how to set it, should be okay.

VIOFO has more important issues to fix first and features to add. Would like to see support for 512 gb and larger memory cards.

It would be nice if they have a text log file, that records errors, speed issues, etc with an option to turn on or off. Even current configuration. Save lots guessing why the unit beeps when it does or what setting did I have at time of testing. Great option for troubleshooting and would be helpful to VIOFO support. Wrong diagnosis can give a product bad rep. I think they have a temperature sensor, if accessible would be great to record unit's temperatures.

Would be nice to auto connect from my iPhone when my iPhone is not on my wifi network. I notice when I ask their app to connect, it open the settings, but not into the wifi selection. My work around, I turn on WIFI via the ViOFO button, then go to my phone and select Viofo wifi. Then open their app and hit connect, no extra steps. Once set up, once I enable wifi on VIOFO camera, my phone should auto connect when non of my preferred networks are available.

They should have a complete accessories, not partial. For example, if you order their fuse tap, they provide 4 different types but only one each, however you need 2. In my case, it had (1) micro 2, but for park mode, you need (2) micro 2 taps. The hardwire cable doesn't come with any fuses. Their hardwire kit, should have come with those items. Why pay twice when you can get 4 or more for the same price from other vendors. This is a bit to cheap....

I will be replacing VIOFO micro 2 fuse tap, as I notice my accessory fuse 20 amp, is sitting a bit sloppy but the other fuse for the camera is firm, currently 5 amp fuse. A defect I think. My concern on rough roads with my Diesel truck, it may drop power for a split second. It may go into park mode too for a short period. On and off scenario with some beeps no doubt. Might be an issue with some who have beeps, but haven't figures out the issue. Check if fuse sitting sloppy. Will be replacing the clamp connectors with solder and shrink wrap too. Water tight connections. Just waiting for warm weather and time to finish it all off.

Hopefully they will reconsider their hardwire kit package and make it complete for others thinking of buying into VIOFO.

I am sure, others on this forum probably have wish list.... Hopefully VIOFO is watching the forums..

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.

Currently, we are working on new firmware for A119 V3, A129 Duo and A129 Pro. These 3 cameras can support 512GB card in theory.
But big capacity memory cards can cause unexpected issues especially if using parking mode a lot.
Plan to support exFat format on A129 series, and optimize parking recording to improve the stability. Soon we will offer beta firmware for testing.

We need more time for testing new firmware due to some models updated to the latest SDK, and new features added like supported Wi-Fi Station mode on A129.

For write logs to the SD card, before we offered some debug firmware for some users to test, it doesn't help too much for debug.
And if write logs in the SD card, it may cause the unknown issue, it also takes chipset resource.

For write logs to the SD card, before we offered some debug firmware for some users to test, it doesn't help too much for debug.
And if write logs in the SD card, it may cause the unknown issue, it also takes chipset resource.
That is correct, but we would still like it to be easier to tell why the camera is beeping. Is it beeping because of a slow memory card, or because it exited from parking mode (no hardwire kit)? And a message on the screen for 3 seconds is no use when we are driving!

Looking forward to your wifi addition and exFat format feature.

Log file could be created in it's own folder and the debug mode could be temp and auto shut off over a week or so, to reduce chipset resource. Design to be temporary. A bit like a hidden feature maybe. Perhaps a feature could be suspended to give it more resources during debugging.

I haven't explore your programming environment and/or its limitations. My ideas may not fly.

Thanks for your reply, it was appreciated......

Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.

Currently, we are working on new firmware for A119 V3, A129 Duo and A129 Pro. These 3 cameras can support 512GB card in theory.
But big capacity memory cards can cause unexpected issues especially if using parking mode a lot.
Plan to support exFat format on A129 series, and optimize parking recording to improve the stability. Soon we will offer beta firmware for testing.

We need more time for testing new firmware due to some models updated to the latest SDK, and new features added like supported Wi-Fi Station mode on A129.

To VIOFO: I really like my VIOFO Dual 4k camera.

Interesting issue on G-force setting. Normally, I ran G-force setting to max and same with park mode. While on a long trip, I got the triangle message when I hit a bump, but felt it was valid.

So, I decrease it to Medium and work okay, no messages. After a period of time, I got triangle message, but didn't think it was valid. Didn't feel a bump.

So, I decided to put the G force to low. A week goes by and on a longer trip. I was getting 4 or 5 triangle message but felt it wasn't valid, as I hit harder bumps and rolls before on high sensitivity. Even watching those clips, indicates no bump or rolls.

Next day in the morning -8 C, left it the same and travelling through rough construction roads, no issues, no messages. Cabin temperature was normal. On a return trip, taking the highway, mostly smooth, I started to get Triangle messages, about 3 or so on 10 minutes drive, before I arrived at my destination. None of the triangle message was valid.

I notice a pattern. My unit was a bit warmer to the touch, but not hot, then normal, more likely to happen on a long ride. Seems like the problem appear when unit get a bit warmer than normal

I don't know what method is used to determine a bump on your device, but it gives the impression that temperature of the unit is changing the value of the sensor for G-force. Could be a software bug, or needs to compensate for component temperature changes? Any ideas on possible cause?

I don't expect my Park mode sensor would have an effect. So didn't touch it, as park mode is the most important for me.

Not an issue, just a minor thing so far. I can turn it off if needed it. With 256gb storage, I would catch the event, as long as i take it with me.

Sideline:
For the fun it, I tried the wifi connection to my iPhone, setup my iPhone to capture my screen in video. Camera was recording and streaming to my phone, which I was able to view and it capture and saved the video to my photo app.

Nice..... though it didn't capture in 4k, it capture on my screen resolution in H264 which played with no hesitation at home with apple photo. Found that interesting, when I did use H264 initially, playback on apple photo was with hestiation, but switching to H265 ran smoothly. Must be an implementation of H264 on the VIOFO camera??

The VIOFO would need to support 4k saving to the phone. Might make 1TB iphone and apple icloud interesting....

I love the reliable WIFI connection, it works great, unlike the others I have tested, which I was quick to return.
Keep up the good work

Aly

We have done some adjustment in beta new version for G-sensor settings, I will check if the high temperature will affect G-sensor performance or not.

Some users reported the 4K video didn't playback smoothly on MAC with Quicktime, but no problem with VLC and helped done some codec analysis.
We need to report this to chipset vendor to improve.

There is a minor bug in the app for the WiFi feature. Not sure if it has been previously reported but I would like to point it out to see if it can be fixed while you are actively in the firmware update process.
The bug is with the screen saver duration. I personally like it to be set to 3 min, but when I connect to the WiFi and use the app, the screen saver will go back to 1 min setting on its own and setting it back to 3 min on the app won't correct the issue as it still will remain at 1minute setting. In order to get it to work at the 3 minute setting, I have to turn off the WiFi and set it using the camera menu then it will stay that way until I use the app which will kick it back to the 1minute setting.

We have done some adjustment in beta new version for G-sensor settings, I will check if the high temperature will affect G-sensor performance or not.

Some users reported the 4K video didn't playback smoothly on MAC with Quicktime, but no problem with VLC and helped done some codec analysis.
We need to report this to chipset vendor to improve.
ALL Mac users have this problem, and it’s really annoying if you don’t know about the secret h265 feature. Yes VLC works, but if you record in h264 any software that relies on the Mac player will look like a 3 FPS parking mode instead of a normal smooth video. I almost returned the camera because of this. But then I found this website and the h265 setting.

This skipping / low FPS playback issue only happens with the a129, nobody has seen this issue with other h264 files from action cams, phones, or any other source.(I have the A129 pro duo)

for anybody using the “Dashcam Viewer” software it means that h265 is the only option. Unfortunately many older computers and televisions cannot play h265. With H264 I can plug the SD card into my cars screens and watch the videos! Not with 265...

this is my top complaint by far. The second being that the image quality on the 4k video is very grainy and shows a ton of compression artifacts.

Other than those issues I have loved this cam! The value is very good for the price.

please, please, please fix the h.264 playback issue!

Last edited:
There is a minor bug in the app for the WiFi feature. Not sure if it has been previously reported but I would like to point it out to see if it can be fixed while you are actively in the firmware update process.
The bug is with the screen saver duration. I personally like it to be set to 3 min, but when I connect to the WiFi and use the app, the screen saver will go back to 1 min setting on its own and setting it back to 3 min on the app won't correct the issue as it still will remain at 1minute setting. In order to get it to work at the 3 minute setting, I have to turn off the WiFi and set it using the camera menu then it will stay that way until I use the app which will kick it back to the 1minute setting.

I see this exact same issue. Also if there is anyway to keep the screen on full time I would love that feature, even if I had to reduce bitrates to use it. When I tow a trailer I like being able to check on it.

@joklin I see this issue on iOS app. Another issue is that any names or license plate information I Enter with a space in it just disappears. No guidance or warning. I have to use dashes for spaces.

I take another look to verify my observation, but not having that issue. Initially I used 3 mins, after awhile, I switch to 5 mins, recently for the fun of it, I set it for 10 minutes, though, I think I might go back to 3 mins or 5.

One concern to check, is lock files. If you get too many events and files get lock, you run out of storage in time. If I remember right, all park activations files are locked and they don't get deleted. Also any G force activation, saves 40 seconds and locked. I usually do a format every time, I decide to browse the files and download what I want to keep for awhile. If not, probably every second week or so. Just in case. Would need to test to verify conclusion and/or VIOFO feedback.

I connect to wifi a lot and those values stayed. I connect to wifi, while unit is recording and live stream, even recording the screen. Values stayed. Did that for an hour drive. Not a hitch or a drop. Love it... Best wifi app I've seen...

Are you using Android app. Not sure if it an app issue, I use IOS app for my iPhone Pro Max. Only have Apple stuff here. I do have boot camp installed on my lap, as it the only way I can update the firmware for Radenso Pro M radar unit.

Reactions: EGS
Back