DC with 3 wire going dark/ shutting down randomly

Just got my new kit today and looks like I have the same issue occurring. Once it powered off I put my multimeter in and it was reading 12.4V when the cutoff was set to 11.8V. Not too sure what to do next :/

Also as a side note, when you unplug the HW kit from the camera and it remains unplugged for a bit the date and time reset. Not sure if this is normal too?

I can't see it being the hardwire kit, but there's definitely something not right in your setup, I'll get @Street Guardian USA to swap that camera out in case there's something wrong with it
Any ideas on what could be wrong? I can make a video showing the setup I got if that helps? Or is the issue with the camera?

We'll swap the camera out to be sure but there may be something else at play, let's see how it goes with a replacement and take it from there

Any ideas on what could be wrong? I can make a video showing the setup I got if that helps? Or is the issue with the camera?

We’ve shipped quite a few of these and no other similar reports so we’ll swap out the main camera to see how it goes. I have your details already. I’ll email you confirmation once shipped out Monday. (Out of the office this week)

Just thought I would share this since it seems to happen when the new hw kit. So once I turned the car off shortly after the light turns off too. When I unplugged it from the fuse and plugged it back in the light would turn on for a second then fade to off. I am guessing this is the voltage cutoff? How accurate is the cutoff to the real voltage and is there any way to turn it off?

I now got another issue, since the new HW kit install the camera seems to not turn on by itself when I turn the car on. Sometimes I got to press the power button to power it on other times it will turn on when I turn the car on. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

@winter4w

Your replacement SG9663DC is still scheduled to go out tomorrow. There must be something else going on with your camera that sent us down the wrong path troubleshooting your SGDCHW. Let us know how the new camera works out as soon as it arrives this week.

I received my replacement 3-wire kit and now I can't get over 4-5 hours. The car i sparked in a garage that runs 70-75 year-round. I am so frustrated now.

@winter4w

Your replacement SG9663DC is still scheduled to go out tomorrow. There must be something else going on with your camera that sent us down the wrong path troubleshooting your SGDCHW. Let us know how the new camera works out as soon as it arrives this week.

Okay will do, is there anything else I should check or mess around with if the new camera has the same issue?

Also make sure you have the power input menu set to 3 wire and that hasn't changed at all

Yea its at the three wire. Also to let you guys know I am using the GPS mount for setting the time.

I think some cars ( brand / models ) might have become too smart for dashcams. :cautious:

I received my replacement 3-wire kit and now I can't get over 4-5 hours. The car i sparked in a garage that runs 70-75 year-round.

If you’re getting 4 to 5 hours in parking mode, to me it sounds like a general battery health issue rather than a bug.

I would start from the beginning with the installation, and then carefully documenting every step, every system affected until the problem is identified. Based on our experience it is highly unlikely that the hardwire kit is at fault.

I would start from the beginning with the installation, and then carefully documenting every step, every system affected until the problem is identified. Based on our experience it is highly unlikely that the hardwire kit is at fault.

for anyone that has had an issue we've replaced the hardwire kit anyway just in case, to date we've only had one that was confirmed to be faulty

If someone has a 800cca battery, cca is cold cranking amps. (To start the engine) Primary function Question of that battery would be how much power is available for a short burst, not how much standby capacity it has. If a dashcam was cutting off at some shorter period say under an hour or so you might think it's a hardware problem, computer controlled circuit etc but that is unlikely when it's going 4 to 5 hours each time. Many people think car batteries are huge so they have massive potential, but it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Back