DDPai M6+ Android connection issues

En_croute

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
DR900s (50% Stolen!)
Hi, Dashcam newbie here,but reasonably tech savy.
Following TechMoan's review,I bought the DDPai M6+from eBay -arrived in the UK on Day 10. Yeah!

5hr drive ahead, so plonked it on the dash with some masking tape, will screen mount later.
Unable to connect my Motorola X Force (Marshmallow 6.0), so again sort out later.

Later:
Unable to connect to phone
Eventually rebooted phone and reset the camera
CONNECTION ACHIEVED!
Live stream viewable.

Try to configure settings, cannnot connect.
Try to upgrade firmware - switched to Wifi automatically and downloaded to phone.
Would not connect to M6+
Live stream not available.

Various reboots etc
Firmware has transferred - unit rebooted!

Cannot access settings - "Network connection failed"
Switches to M6+ WiFi OK, but won't access device regularly.

Reboot/reset - connection!
Settings-no connection
Live Stream-no connection

Loaded files from card - I have big fingers, but this was easy - spring-loaded,and does not sit flush.
The manual position on the dash,just with tape was not too bad - pictures are good -60% road,40% dash!.
Paused video is not sharp, but positioning wasn't great for roadsigns etc at 60mph
Magnet strong-it will be a heavy smash to displace this.

Not given up yet, but not happy with Android connectivity issues - auto switching is good
Any Android connection advice?

I've heard that powering down the car, so that just the camera is powered, can help. You could try powering the camera with a battery bank to test if car interference may be an issue.

I installed the ddpai m6+ today. Could not get the app to connect to the camera from my Nexus 6P.

Had to disable mobile data for this to work. Once disabled, no problems connecting. According to a comment on the play store for the app, this is because android gets its knickers in a bunch when connected to a WiFi connection without internet access.

Had to disable mobile data for this to work. Once disabled, no problems connecting. According to a comment on the play store for the app, this is because android gets its knickers in a bunch when connected to a WiFi connection without internet access.

That makes perfect sense, especially as Android now manages network switching (to ensue a good data connection).
Will try and see if that works.

Fingers crossed.
Séan

Hi, Dashcam newbie here,but reasonably tech savy.
Following TechMoan's review,I bought the DDPai M6+from eBay -arrived in the UK on Day 10. Yeah!

5hr drive ahead, so plonked it on the dash with some masking tape, will screen mount later.
Unable to connect my Motorola X Force (Marshmallow 6.0), so again sort out later.

Later:
Unable to connect to phone
Eventually rebooted phone and reset the camera
CONNECTION ACHIEVED!
Live stream viewable.

Try to configure settings, cannnot connect.
Try to upgrade firmware - switched to Wifi automatically and downloaded to phone.
Would not connect to M6+
Live stream not available.

Various reboots etc
Firmware has transferred - unit rebooted!

Cannot access settings - "Network connection failed"
Switches to M6+ WiFi OK, but won't access device regularly.
did you get connection sorted out.i have one and my son as one he can connect to both cams but i cant connect to any even though i can connect in wifi settings but not to cam.
Reboot/reset - connection!
Settings-no connection
Live Stream-no connection

Loaded files from card - I have big fingers, but this was easy - spring-loaded,and does not sit flush.
The manual position on the dash,just with tape was not too bad - pictures are good -60% road,40% dash!.
Paused video is not sharp, but positioning wasn't great for roadsigns etc at 60mph
Magnet strong-it will be a heavy smash to displace this.

Not given up yet, but not happy with Android connectivity issues - auto switching is good
Any Android connection advice?

That did the trick!
All sorted, now to get it hardwired!

That did the trick!
All sorted, now to get it hardwired!
We are the ebay seller for M6 Plus,we are just a little confused on its android app connection!Some buyers feedback us the same problem as you,so,could you mind to share your experience to show us how you work it?thanks for your time and help!
Regards,Vicky

We are the ebay seller for M6 Plus,we are just a little confused on its android app connection!Some buyers feedback us the same problem as you,so,could you mind to share your experience to show us how you work it?thanks for your time and help!
Regards,Vicky

Had to disable mobile data for this to work. Once disabled, no problems connecting.

Got it now,thanks!

But how its GPS work after mobile data disable?

But how its GPS work after mobile data disable?

when you want to access the camera the app will default back to cellular network because it sees no internet access on the wifi connection so it will keep disconnecting, you need to ask DDpai how to work around that problem but basically it's an Android issue

The camera doesn't use your cell phone to get GPS data, does it? It should connect directly to the GPS satellites, ignoring the phone. It would be a little crazy to require a phone present to get GPS data.

Just have a check with DDPAI,they confirmed us its gps map still work when mobile data disable;
In its app map,it shows exact camera location,and camera located already by GPS,so it is ok also when mobile data disable!
Wish we explain it clear here!

Just have a check with DDPAI,they confirmed us its gps map still work when mobile data disable;
In its app map,it shows exact camera location,and camera located already by GPS,so it is ok also when mobile data disable!
Wish we explain it clear here!
That should be clear enough. DDpai might want to include the explanation in their manual, so Android users know how to get the app working.

Since I have your attention - two things.

1) Would you please ask DDpai to change angel to angle in their literature and on their website?
2) Would you please ask DDpai if there is any plan to change the M6+ to a capacitor instead of battery? That's the one thing that made me hesitate before ordering. I live in Texas, and a battery is not safe in our summer temperatures. Outside temps can rise as high as 115 degrees (46 C) and temps inside a parked car can rise as high as 160 degrees (71 C) in a parked vehicle. I can't use the parking mode, because I'm concerned about the battery exploding.

oh,sorry,we find this mistake on their website,and report to DDPAI already!

That should be clear enough. DDpai might want to include the explanation in their manual, so Android users know how to get the app working.

Since I have your attention - two things.

1) Would you please ask DDpai to change angel to angle in their literature and on their website?
2) Would you please ask DDpai if there is any plan to change the M6+ to a capacitor instead of battery? That's the one thing that made me hesitate before ordering. I live in Texas, and a battery is not safe in our summer temperatures. Outside temps can rise as high as 115 degrees (46 C) and temps inside a parked car can rise as high as 160 degrees (71 C) in a parked vehicle. I can't use the parking mode, because I'm concerned about the battery exploding.
Hi,Paul,
After a long talking with DDPAI,we can get these info from them:

1,M6 ,M6plus use new ABS material for housing and also has strict aging procedure for temps test,it can last 70 C degree hot temperature,and what is more,camera has hot temperature protection,it shut off automatically if its temps high as 70c;
2,M6 Plus comes with magnet mount and built--in battery,buyers can quick release camera host device and hold it by hand to take a short time video if neccessary.But if they use one capacitor instead,no battery,no power;
3,Frankly speaking,Ddpai team are still in the source collection step for M6 plus capacitor version,if all our users feeback us they need one capacitor M6 Plus due to its mini size and special housing, rather no Mini2 or mini camera modules,they will make a real step to develop it!

Hi,Paul,

1,M6 ,M6plus use new ABS material for housing and also has strict aging procedure for temps test,it can last 70 C degree hot temperature,and what is more,camera has hot temperature protection,it shut off automatically if its temps high as 70c;
2,M6 Plus comes with magnet mount and built--in battery,buyers can quick release camera host device and hold it by hand to take a short time video if neccessary.But if they use one capacitor instead,no battery,no power;
3,Frankly speaking,Ddpai team are still in the source collection step for M6 plus capacitor version,if all our users feeback us they need one capacitor M6 Plus due to its mini size and special housing, rather no Mini2 or mini camera modules,they will make a real step to develop it!
Thank you for that information.

I wish their literature stated that it has temperature protection and will automatically shut off when the temperature reaches 70c. That may have altered my decision regarding hardwiring it. Reaching 70c is quite possible here in Texas.

If the camera is always powered on, the only thing you need is the ability to save the last video when power is lost. Both a battery and a capacitor should be able to solve that problem. Since the camera requires the use of a smartphone, if one needs to take photos outside the vehicle (e.g. after an accident), one can do that with the smartphone.

Hi,Paul,

Thank you for that information.

I wish their literature stated that it has temperature protection and will automatically shut off when the temperature reaches 70c. That may have altered my decision regarding hardwiring it. Reaching 70c is quite possible here in Texas.

If the camera is always powered on, the only thing you need is the ability to save the last video when power is lost. Both a battery and a capacitor should be able to solve that problem. Since the camera requires the use of a smartphone, if one needs to take photos outside the vehicle (e.g. after an accident), one can do that with the smartphone.

Concur with Paul - batteries make no sense in a dedicated dashcam - too risky. I, for one, purchase only dashcams with capacitors, and would encourage DDPai to only release capacitors in future products.

With DDPai's integration with smartphone's, and really REQUIRING to have one to aim, change settings, etc, the need for the dashcam outside the car is limited when the smartphone handles that function much more easily.

powering the battery at temps over 45°c is still not a good idea, not sure I'd want it running up to 70°c before shutting off anyway

Back