Ddpai M6+ - My first dash cam

Paul Schmehl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO (front cam only)
I'm going to start a thread to document my experience with the Ddpai M6+ dash camera. I ordered the camera, a hardwire kit and polarizing filter through eBay. Currently the hardwire kit has not shipped, the polarizing filter is in New York and the camera is in Chicago. (The mystery of how shipping works is beyond me.) Once I have everything in hand, I'll report on shipped condition, unpacking, setup, etc. Since I'm a new dash cam user, perhaps my insights will provide a fresh light on the unspoken majority that buys these things and uses them without ever joining a forum such as this.

Last edited:
Currently the hardwire kit has not shipped, the polarizing filter is in New York and the camera is in Chicago. (The mystery of how shipping works is beyond me.) .

Have you ordered everything from one eBay seller ?

I didn't realize it until I got the confirmations, but I actually ordered each item from a different seller. I don't normally buy from eBay, but I couldn't pass up a 20% discount on the camera.

Looking forward to your insights. I'm still evaluating the Mini2 and really like it so far. Are you going to use it for parking? This is what I'm looking at now and have found some quirks with the Mini2, will be curious if those quirks are in the M6+.

Yes, I plan to use it for parking, but I'm retired so my car is usually parked under my carport. In that configuration, I will remove the camera, because I don't really care to get time lapse photography of my garage door. My plan is to hardwire it to a constant 12V supply using a fuse tap, and then remove the camera when I'm parked at home. Anywhere else I park it will be recording. I suspect the GPS will still draw some current but probably not an appreciable amount. If it creates problems for me, I'll remove the camera and unplug the base.

What are the quirks that you've found in the mini?

BTW, I declined to get the mini because it's not removable.

...and have found some quirks with the Mini2, will be curious if those quirks are in the M6+.

What quirks? I have been playing with the M6+ for about 3 weeks now. Maybe I can help.

I've noticed there is about a 5-6 second gap in video when coming in and out of time lapse. A little concerning when coming out of time lapse. In a scenario where the car is hit, those 5-6 seconds could provide some key details.

I've noticed there is about a 5-6 second gap in video when coming in and out of time lapse. A little concerning when coming out of time lapse. In a scenario where the car is hit, those 5-6 seconds could provide some key details.
Is this an issue with the M6+? Or with all time lapse cams?

Yep, my M6+ has a 6 second gap when transitioning from time-lapse to video. There is a gap going the other direction as well (video to time-lapse).

I think it is a hardware limitation because it needs to stop the recording, save the file to SD card, and then restart a new recording. I'd imagine it to be same for all dashcam.

Last edited:
Don't know if just the Mini2 or DDPai. Maybe SuperGoop can report if he is seeing it in his M6+. I'm only aware of a few other cameras using time lapse for parking mode, the Vico Opia2 comes to mind, and haven't seen a review on the parking mode on that model yet.

Yep, even Techmoan's video confirmed the 6 second gap (go to 19:50 mark)

At 11:14:14 am, time-lapse was interrupted by the loud Mitsubishi EVO; and the regular video started at 11:14:20 am (6 sec gap)

At 1:58:49 pm, time-lapsed was interrupted by another loud car; and the regular video started at 1:58:55 pm (6 sec gap)

Last edited:
I noticed that, but wasn't sure if that gap was because he had paused the video there, or if was truly the end of the time lapse. I'm also trying to confirm his claim that sound will bring it out of time lapse. My first test by clapping next to it did not work. Tapping the unit did. Need to keep testing it though.

If my theory is right about needing time to save the file, then I'd imagine if the time-lapse was short, then the gap may be shorter.

A full 3-minute time-lapse video (75 minutes worth) is 470MB, and that may take even more time to write to a SD card. I think one of my gap was 8 seconds!

Last edited:
In Techmoan's video, there is a Charm sound at the start of the video triggered by sound. I don't have that with my videos. Not a big deal, but does your Mini2 have a charm sound immediately after a time-lapse?

No sound coming out of time lapse for the Mini2. Paul, don't mean to hijack your thread. Looking forward to your insights on your M6+

UPDATE: I ordered three items on July 31, 2016; a polarizing filter, a hardwire kit and the Ddpai M6+ dash cam. Here's the current status:
Filter: Order processed 8/1. Shipped on 8/2. Arrived at USPS New York ISC (International Sorting Center) facility on 8/7. Still sitting there.
Hardwire Kit: Order processed 8/1. Shipped 8/2. Arrived at USPS New York ISC facility on 8/7. Took THREE days to clear customs and be delivered to local facility. Transferred to Flushing, NY USPS domestic facility 8/10. Should arrive today.
Camera: Order processed on 8/3. Shipped on 8/4. Arrived at USPS Chicago ISC facility 8/8. Arrived at Chicago domestic USPS facility 8/12. IOW, it took FOUR days to clear customs and be delivered to the local facility.

I received the hardwire kit today. It has two wires; one labeled ACC and one labeled GND. If I wire the camera to ACC, it's not going to work in parking mode, is it? I would think I would need to connect to constant power even when the ignition is off.

Needs permanent power source to be able to run in parking mode, or be limited to however long it can run from the internal battery, an internal battery is a good reason not to connect it to permanent power though

Needs permanent power source to be able to run in parking mode, or be limited to however long it can run from the internal battery, an internal battery is a good reason not to connect it to permanent power though
Why is that, @jokiin ? Will it damage the battery to have power al the time?

Last edited:
Back