Ddpai M6+ - My first dash cam

As impressed as I am with the video quality of this camera I'm really surprised that they went with a battery. All of the true dash cams that I would consider as mid to high range are capacitor equipped, for a good reason.

Just to be clear I'm not trying to trivialise the risk from lipo batteries. I have a DJI phantom and I'm well aware about the risk from these batteries

@jokiin, is there a big cost difference in building a camera with a capacitor over a LiPo? Is there a lot of extra coding required in the FW for shut down with a capacitor?

Just curious why they would go that route.....

@jokiin, is there a big cost difference in building a camera with a capacitor over a LiPo? Is there a lot of extra coding required in the FW for shut down with a capacitor?

Just curious why they would go that route.....

it costs a bit more, it's more difficult to do (correctly) from a hardware and firmware perspective, the majority don't do it for two reasons, higher cost would be the main reason for the majority of them, lack of know how is also a factor

ok, well that explains it....thanks

According to their website it's not lipo jut lithium

Lithium battery Built-in 250mA high-temperature lithium battery
Temperature -20~70℃

So no different to leaving your mobile phone on the car dash

According to their website it's not lipo jut lithium

Lithium battery Built-in 250mA high-temperature lithium battery
Temperature -20~70℃

So no different to leaving your mobile phone on the car dash

I wouldn't leave your mobile phone on the dash while powered either, they also use LiPo (Lithium Polymer) batteries

Ok, I just assumed it would have been a LiPo, although I don't think lithium are trouble free either.

Apple at least use lithium ion not lithium polymer. And many do leave mobiles mounted on the dash. I've never heard of them having a problem and my personal experience is the phone might shut of until the temperature reduces with no other effects

Apple at least use lithium ion not lithium polymer. And many do leave mobiles mounted on the dash. I've never heard of them having a problem and my personal experience is the phone might shut of until the temperature reduces with no other effects

phones are a bit smarter and will have some control over this when heat comes into it, ion, polymer, cobalt, whatever, it's the lithium that's the issue

The vico power plus has a temperature cut off built in. Would this not allay your fears over the lipo battery ?
No. Inside-the-car temperatures in Texas can easily surpass the max rating of the battery (70 C).

it costs a bit more, it's more difficult to do (correctly) from a hardware and firmware perspective, the majority don't do it for two reasons, higher cost would be the main reason for the majority of them, lack of know how is also a factor
I've seen @Techmoan's video where he replaces the battery in a Mobius with a super capacitor. It's my understanding that this isn't possible in many cameras. Can you explain the technical reasons for that?

It's because of the shutdown process. The firmware needs to be optimized to shutdown quickly before the super capacitor is drained. If the firmware is not optimized, saving the last file may be interrupted due to lack of power, and not saved.

That said, you'd think the M6+ could be used with a super capacitor, given the Mini2 is using one. There may be a size issue with the M6+ though, as batteries can be much smaller and thinner that super capacitors.

It's because of the shutdown process. The firmware needs to be optimized to shutdown quickly before the super capacitor is drained. If the firmware is not optimized, saving the last file may be interrupted due to lack of power, and not saved.

That said, you'd think the M6+ could be used with a super capacitor, given the Mini2 is using one. There may be a size issue with the M6+ though, as batteries can be much smaller and thinner that super capacitors.
I noticed that the last update mentioned optimizing the shutdown. Maybe they're working toward changing to the supercap in the M6+.

Hard to say without confirmation from DDPai

I've seen @Techmoan's video where he replaces the battery in a Mobius with a super capacitor. It's my understanding that this isn't possible in many cameras. Can you explain the technical reasons for that?

a dashcam designs using capacitor can be exchange with battery with no problem
But in reverse way, it doesnt. :)
But if you run your cam 24/7/365, so the shutdown speed will be no problem at all. :)

Back