DDPai M6 Plus camera switches off on ignition start

vipergrm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. Just got my M6 Plus camera last week and thought all went well with the installation until I noticed the camera switches to battery power when I start the engine.

I installed the camera using an add-a-fuse and also a low voltage cut off device which will enable to operate when the car is turned off.

I thought that perhaps I picked the wrong fuse location to attach to but when I checked the voltage it is 14.8 volts when the engine is on or off so there's no change in power.

I also thought that, upon ignition start the usual voltage drop may be the cause but even if I have the camera completely unplugged and then plug it in when the engine is already started there is nothing. It's an extremely annoying problem as all I can do is record perfectly fine with the ignition off but nothing with the engine on.

I am using a 5 amp fuse so maybe a lower capacity one might be the answer? Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Any chance you are feeding in >12V to something expecting 5V?

Any chance you are feeding in >12V to something expecting 5V?

Thanks for the reply. I bought a hardwire kit as shown below and it apparently has a 5V output. I just don't understand why the camera shuts off completely when the ignition is switched on. The hardwire kit has two modes. 24v and 12v. I have set it to 12v. To test the output from the micro USB end - is it simply a case of using a multi-meter with proper grounding or is there another way to measure this voltage? Trying to identify if there's a difference of voltage when the engine is off/on. Thanks.

Hardwire Kit
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01EW007ME

try it with the included power adapter and see how it performs, a lot of the aftermarket ones are not great quality

Spot on @jokiin it looks as if it is something to do with the hardware kit. I connected it directly to the cigarette lighter and no issues whatsoever. Worked perfectly fine whether the engine was on or off. I will contacted the manufacturer of the hardware kit and if they blame my car or something I'll just request a refund and get something better.

Spot on @jokiin it looks as if it is something to do with the hardware kit. I connected it directly to the cigarette lighter and no issues whatsoever. Worked perfectly fine whether the engine was on or off. I will contacted the manufacturer of the hardware kit and if they blame my car or something I'll just request a refund and get something better.
I suggest that you bypass the manufacturer, & just return it to Amazon for refund. Maybe spend a few quid more on a better known brand, e.g. Nextbase ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00XHYSQAC
Or splash out on a Vico Power Plus ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00ZPLSITE
Or go thrifty with a female lighter socket / wiring ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00DGYD6A8

Last edited:
Brilliant thanks. That's exactly what I'll do. Just ordered right the Nextbase kit :)

Damn. Just realised the Nextbase is mini USB and my camera is micro USB. Annoyingly it doesn't actually say anywhere on the specification. I read the reviews and it looks to be mini USB.

Is there any other device that has a low voltage cut off that would do the job? I'd honestly prefer not to spend another 50 quid on that Vico Power Plus device although it does look really good. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks. That looks absolutely perfect. The cigarette charger has two ports so I guess it would be OK to plug my wireless charging dock into the other one so it will power that as well? Thanks

I ended up purchasing the Multisafer. It is pretty much exactly what I need. The Vico Power Plus I find is a bit unnecessary. I plan to keep the dash cam on for no longer than 12 hours at a time and I don't really need the Vico display. Thanks @russ331 for the recommendation!

Hi guys,can anyone tell me how long the battery in an average car would last with this Dash cam installed i think that it would last several days but could not say for sure....

Back