DDPai M6+ Techmoan's latest droolfest

Gonna upload some right now, not sure if there's any point uploading the rear. Without street lights and through my 18% tint you don't see too much!
Hard to compare the F770 with the DDPai though. Battery based with a bulky mount and no parking mode.

Here are some dropbox raws, what upload service do you guys recommend, running out of space on our Dropbox haha?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xsc5w1eyu5zrk6a/REC_2016_06_30_00_03_43_R.MP4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zi6lo7z8njr9s0/REC_2016_06_30_00_04_44_F.MP4?dl=0

Thanks.

Interesting thing is than RegistratorViewer can play those files along with GPS data, which is good news, however it's audio-codec is not compatible.

F770 RV.jpg

Does anyone know will this camera take a 128 or 200 gb card?

Some quick thoughts of my own. I ordered my DDpai M6 Plus from the ebay seller Techmoan linked on July 2nd, shipped July 5th, arrived July 20th from China to Canada:

- Firmware upgraded since Techmoan's review... it is now 3.3.0.31
- You can mount right-side-up or up-side-down. Image will automatically flip in real-time. No need to set orientation.
- Option to flip the image left or right. Maybe use it as a backup mirror. Not useful to me but the option is there. This feature was added since Techmoan's review.
- Colour and red ring is perfectly fine. Not noticeable once mounted.
- 3 Minute clip is around 225 MB
- Very premium feel. Great quality and packaging.
- The included Mini USB cable is 3.5 meters
- Stream to iPhone, download to iPhone, or pull SD card out to retrieve video.

PROS:
- Image quality is excellent both day and night. Especially impressive since bitrate is only 10Mbps.
- Camera can rotate on the ball-joint up/down, left/right BUT not tilt. Not a full 360 degree ball joint.
- Camera is smaller than I expected (including built-in GPS)
- Superb night image!!! Really bright. I can always see at least a hint of the sky/clouds/treelines even with no light (e.g. 11:30 pm at night). Most dashcam, the sky is completely black at night.
- Parking mode / time-lapsed video (this is so cool!!!)
- The app, the software, the features! Most dashcam just records.
- REMOTE Emergency button (takes 11 seconds video AND a picture)
- Emergency button AUTOMATICALLY downloads video and picture into iPhone (no need to manually download or pull memory card out to view).
- Select any segment to download to iPhone (simple slider in the app to pick start/finish time)
- Built in GPS (no need for a separate module)
- STREAM any video to iPhone for immediate viewing WITHOUT download
- Magnetic mount can be easily pulled off and continues recording for a few minutes. Good for recording the damage around the car after a collision.
- 10 Mbps bitrate is both good and bad. Faster download, live video streaming, memory cards holds much more footage (~27 hours on a 128 GB card)
- Works with 128 GB memory card: Around 27 hours (or 600 hours of time-lapsed video!)
- Didn't try, but maybe use as home security camera with 600 hours of looping time-lapsed recording.
- Smaller 140 degrees FOV (I prefer this over the usual 160 FOV). Things are bigger and easier to see.
- Everything (accept voice prompts) available in English (iPhone App, manual, website, etc.)
- Magnetic mount: Snap on/off super easy. This new version no longer vibrates and is very strong and stable.
- Use large iPhone screen to position and frame your video in real-time live feed.

CONS:
- 10 Mbps bitrate is both good and bad. Image great, but slightly blurry. Maybe they choose lower bitrate to allow streaming and faster download to iPhone/Android phone.
- Battery (not capacitor). Official spec: "Built-in 250mA high-temperature lithium battery -20~70℃".... so maybe these battery has higher temp tolerance?
- Warm (not hot as reported by some other users)
- Audio capture: Very weak. On my computer, I had to turn up the volume to max to hear radio in the background.
- A 3 minutes download to iPhone takes about 2 minutes (at around 1.5 MB/s average). However, if you just want to see it quickly (maybe to show police), just stream it wirelessly without waiting!
- Voice prompts in Chinese only
- I haven't checked everything, but not many user settings: Exposure +/-, loop time, WDR settings, sharpness, etc.

WISHES:
- Sharper images (don't get me wrong, quality is excellent (see Techmoan's samples) but there is room for improvement).
- Better audio capture. At normal volume, I can barely hear anything.
- More user options to customize image quality and other features
- More customization... exposure, sharpness, emergency button more than 11 seconds, etc.
- Maybe increase bitrate to 15 Mbps to increase sharpness, but not at the expense of buffering during live stream.

Last edited:
Ordered mine 5th July,sent 7th July Still no show.Says on tracking site (UBI) 14th July Customs cleared,Auspost tracking says shipping information
approved 8th July.Looks like I won't be getting mine.

Well it turned up..I don't have android or iphone so I tried with motorola xoom running jellybean and don't work.
Broke out the old huawei media pad running jellybean and it works or appears to.Can change settings etc but will test tomorrow.

What are the 2 blue sticks for???

I think you need to connect the DDPai to a phone with cellular data in order to update the firmware (around 25MB size).

An WiFi only device/tablet will not be able to connect to the DDPai and your home WiFi at he same time, which means you can't connect to the Internet.

Note: when my iPhone is connected to the DDPai via WiFi, I still have cellular data (3G/LTE) at the same time to connect to the Internet.

Also, the app seems to work perfectly with my iPhone 6 Plus (same as Techmoan's). No glitches, freeze, crash, etc. It remembers to connect to the DDPai automatically. This is good because I can press the remote button to snap a 11 seconds video (and a picture) and have it waiting for me on my iPhone to view OFFLINE. No need to download or do anything. So cool!

Last edited:
I think you need to connect the DDPai to a phone with cellular data in order to update the firmware (around 25MB size).

An WiFi only device/tablet will not be able to connect to the DDPai and your home WiFi at he same time, which means you can't connect to the Internet.

Note: when my iPhone is connected to the DDPai via WiFi, I still have cellular data (3G/LTE) at the same time to connect to the Internet.

Also, the app seems to work perfectly with my iPhone 6 Plus (same as Techmoan's). No glitches, freeze, crash, etc. It remembers to connect to the DDPai automatically. This is good because I can press the remote button to snap a 11 seconds video (and a picture) and have it waiting for me on my iPhone to view OFFLINE. No need to download or do anything. So cool!
Have you tested that, as would seem illogical to program the app to function like that. Once you have registered the camera with the app, I would have thought that when the app is connected to the internet whether by data or Wi-Fi it would detect new software or you would press the new firmware link and it would download to your phone, then when you connect to the camera later, then it would update the camera. At least that is what it seems to do.

In fact I just tested it outside my house.
When both my data and Wi-Fi are enabled on my phone and in range of my houses wifi.
If you then connect to camera, and after, press new software link in app, the app disconnects from camera and Re-connects to my house wifi and in this case says Firmware is latest. If I disable my data connection it does the same.

Havn't tried it out of range of my house Wi-Fi. Will try that later when I'm out

Panini, maybe you are right. I can't test that because my firmware is already up to date, so I can't try to download it with my home WiFi anymore.

Update: I can actually *tilt* the camera horizontally as well. Therefore, the DDPai M6 Plus has a FULL range of adjustability! :) Left/Right, Up/Down AND Horizontial Tilt.

Question: How do I view the video with GPS data on the PC? Does DDPai come with a viewer software?

More Pros: Camera corrects the "fisheye" effect of the wide angle. From thhe product discription: "LDC Geometric correction Remove the fisheyes effects to reduce the barrel-shaped distortion".

My biggest negative so far is the 1) weak audio recording and 2) slightly blurry video (again, don't get me wrong, the video is excellent, but there is room for improvement).

Also, the frame rate also seems to be jerky at 25fps at 1440p. I'll have to experiment with 1080p at 30fps.

Question: How do I view the video with GPS data on the PC? Does DDPai come with a viewer software?
I don't think there is a pc program from DDPai, its all done in the app, and in theory you can play it in the app with the gps data, although so far I haven't experimented with that.
A number of people here have mentioned registration viewer/datakam player for other cams, which i downloaded to try with the video from the M6+. unfortunately doesn't seem to support the configuration of the M6+ out of the box so to speak. but I have managed to get it to work by putting all the M6+ files on my HD, but the program needs to be told where the files are and the gps data needs to be converted into one file and need to change the default map.

My biggest negative so far is the 1) weak audio recording and 2) slightly blurry video (again, don't get me wrong, the video is excellent, but there is room for improvement).

Also, the frame rate also seems to be jerky at 25fps at 1440p. I'll have to experiment with 1080p at 30fps.
I'm surprised you say weak sound as it records and plays perfectly on both my phone and my surface, I think I noticed sound level adjustment in the app maybe that or your codecs need updating on your pc, also I don't find the video blurry, it seems to do very well for only a 10500kbps bitrate and the video is not jerky on either my surface nor my phone, maybe you need to update your video card or most probably need to update your codecs. maybe if you continue to have trouble you could try downloading and installing K-lite codec pack v12.25 full which I think is the latest version.

Lanini, thanks for your suggestions. Maybe I don't have the latest codecs. I'll have to check. However, I don't have the audio problem with my A118c, which is very loud and clear.

Back