DDpai Mini dashcam review (Hisilicon Hi3516C, Sony IMX322 Exmor, WiFi, 1080p 30fps)

VIIVIIIXIII

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
ITB-100HD, SG9665GC, Mobius B & C2, T1, Z970WD
DDpai Mini dashcam review (Hisilicon Hi3516C, Sony IMX322 Exmor, WiFi, 1080p 30fps)

Thanks to GearBest for supplying this unit.

Product Link: Official website: http://www.ddpai.com/en/mini.php
Price: $72.18USD w/ free shipping

Review:

DDpai is a Chinese dashcam manufacturer. They currently have a couple of models on the market. I had the opportunity to test the DDpai Mini, which is their smallest offering to date. Initial impressions from unboxing the DDpai Mini was positive. The packaging was not of the generic sort that we've come to expect from Chinese manufacturers. The box, padding, printing, etc. were made specifically for this unit and everything seemed of high quality. A good amount of attention to detail was put into the overall presentation and design of the product.

At first glance, it's obvious the Mini has taken design cues from BlackVue with the minimalistic cylindrical body. Housed inside the unit is the Hisilicon Hi3516C chip with Sony IMX322 Exmor CMOS Sensor, which again, is similar to the hardware that BlackVue is using in their flagship units. The DDpai Mini features the usual dashcam functions such as auto start/stop, loop recording, and G sensor. Included with the unit, we find some key accessories such as an external WiFi remote, a long right angled USB cable, a DDpai branded dual USB Car Charger and an English (yes, that's right) instruction manual. Once paired, the WiFi remote allows you to take photo snapshots, at any time, with the quick press of the button.

Based on the specs, I was expecting a lot from the DDpai Mini. Unfortunately, the video quality from this unit did not live up to my expectations. As you can see from the sample clips posted below, video quality was rather average and underwhelming. The DDpai Mini records at a maximum resolution of 1080p 30fps. Bitrate fluctuates between 8-9 mbps. From my review of the sample footage, the image was not sharp and details were always a little fuzzy. Colors also seemed to be oversaturated at night, possibly due to WDR. I found the built-in microphone to be very poor.

To sync/change any settings on the DDpai Mini, you must download the DDpai app for your smart device. The app also allows for quick review and download of the footage captured. The Mini must be paired to your smart device via WiFi before you are able to perform any of these functions -- there are no buttons on the unit, nor any desktop programs available. There are no power on/off, nor mic on/off buttons. Another quirk I noticed was that the mounting bracket is built directly into the unit. Once installed, you will not be able to remove the dashcam freely. It's worth mentioning that this is a battery-based unit, if that matters to you.

At the current listed price of under $75USD, the DDpai Mini is still a viable option for those looking a discrete, Blackvue-style, dashcam for the reasons listed above. However, I would suggest buyers to consider the Mini 0826 and Xiaomi Yi DVR, as they are the strongest performing dashcams in this price range.

*The Mini 0826 offers higher quality video at a higher resolution of 1296p. It also includes a GPS slide mount, and CPL filter while maintaining a discrete cylindrical shape. No WiFi available but it features a small LCD display.
*The Xiaomi Yi DVR offers higher quality video at 1080p 60fps. The Yi's form factor isn't as discrete since it houses a larger LCD display and comes with a dangling suction cup mount.
*The Viofo A118C is another top pick. It features a discrete wedge form factor and a built-in capacitor for longevity. This is the cheapest unit of the bunch, usually on sale at around $50USD.

Sample clips:

Photos:

odNKdP2h.jpg

2HqLH6gh.jpg

ukczwphh.jpg

qOovMLsh.jpg

Specifications and feature list:
  • Chipset: Hisilicon Hi3516C
  • Sensor: 1/2.9 inch IMX322 Exmor CMOS sensor
  • Lens: F1.8 6 glass + 1 IR filter lens
  • Max External Card Supported: TF 32G (not included)
  • Class Rating Requirements: Class 10 or Above
  • Battery Type: Built-in 250mAh li-ion battery
  • Charge way: Car charger
  • Wide Angle: 110 degree (horizontal) + 140 degree (diagonal)
  • Decode Format: H.264
  • Video format: MP4
  • Video Resolution: 1080P (1920 x 1080),720P (1280 x 720),960 x 540
  • Video Frame Rate : 30fps
  • Image Format : JPEG
  • Image resolution: 2M (1920 x 1080)
  • Audio System : Built-in microphone/speaker (AAC)
  • WIFI: Yes
  • WiFi Function: Image Transmission, Remote Control, Settings, Sync and Sharing Albums
  • WiFi Distance : 2 - 3m
  • Loop-cycle Recording : Yes
  • Loop-cycle Recording Time: 3min
  • Night vision : Yes
  • G-sensor: X-Y-Z three-axis sensor file protection
  • WDR: Yes
  • Interface Type: TF Card Slot
  • Operating Temp.: -20 - 70 centigrade degree
  • Product weight: 0.332 kg
  • Package weight: 0.470 kg
  • Product size (L x W x H): 8.70 x 3.50 x 4.35 cm / 3.43 x 1.38 x 1.71 inches
  • Package size (L x W x H): 22.00 x 12.00 x 12.00 cm / 8.66 x 4.72 x 4.72 inches
Box contents:

1 x DDpai Mini
1 x Remote Controller
2 x 3M Adhesive
1 x Dual USB Car Charger (5V 2.1A / 5V 1A)
1 x microUSB Cable w/ Cable Management Clips
2x Trim Pry Tool
1 x English/Chinese User Manual

Last edited:
Wonder is it because of the Huawei chip?

Back