Dead battery after installation

Leaky Waders

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hard wired a Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO into a 2012 Honda CRV. I tested the cameras before hiding the wires and everything worked as expected. I disconnected the cable from the camera and left it disconnected over night. The next morning the battery to the vehicle was too drained to start the engine. I jump started the vehicle and drove it for about an hour. I left the cameras disconnected over night with only the hard wire kit in place and again the battery was dead this morning. Today I disconnected the fuse taps and reinserted the fuses to the pre-fuse tap condition and attached a trickle charger to the battery. The car started this afternoon. My multi-meter shows that the battery has more than 12 volts. I will check again in the morning. Does anyone have any idea what I did to cause this? Thanks. Paul

the cable without a camera connected as a very low power draw (there's an LED light), if that was enough to flatten your battery then it sounds like your battery is not healthy, how old is it and what sort of voltage are you seeing at the battery?

we refer to them as 12v systems but your battery will be around 14.5v while the car is running and around 12.6v at key off for a healthy battery, if it gets to 12v that's considered a 50% charge

the cable without a camera connected as a very low power draw (there's an LED light), if that was enough to flatten your battery then it sounds like your battery is not healthy, how old is it and what sort of voltage are you seeing at the battery?

we refer to them as 12v systems but your battery will be around 14.5v while the car is running and around 12.6v at key off for a healthy battery, if it gets to 12v that's considered a 50% charge

I am not sure what the age of the battery is. We purchased the vehicle 13 months ago.

I just checked the voltage and running is 14.14 and 12.24 with the key off.

Yes if you war going to use parking guard, your battery / source of power cant really be too big in AMP hours, only physical size for your car ( be weary of battery placement of the + and - pole )

Yes if you war going to use parking guard, your battery / source of power cant really be too big in AMP hours, only physical size for your car ( be weary of battery placement of the + and - pole )

After researching batteries I'm going to buy an Interstate battery with these specs.
Cold Cranking Amps500
Cranking Amps625

After researching batteries I'm going to buy an Interstate battery with these specs.
Cold Cranking Amps500
Cranking Amps625
After much internet research I decided to upgrade from a 51R group to a 24F group battery. The 24F is a much larger battery. The old battery had 500 CCA, 600 CA and 85 RC, the new battery is a AGM style with 710 CCA, I can.t find data on the CA ,and 110 RC.

Back