Dead Cam

Chris3

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi.... I have a 2 year old DOD LS470W+. Will no longer turn on, power is running to it through its 12v accessory outlet in my truck. I call tech support and they told me the battery is dead. I thought the camera would still power up using the 12v plug even if the battery is bad....guess I'm wrong.

I plug it in and the blue light lights up for a couple mins, but that's about it.....nothing on the screen. Tried reset....nothing. I could have the battery replaced I guess, this thing wasn't cheap!! Purchased from Costco here in Canada... there return policy on electronics is only 90 days..... I spend thousands there every year, so I may just go see what they say. My truck only has 13,000km on it... so the camera is hardly used. It gets hot here in the summer (Toronto), but not to bad. Being a battery issue, I'm guessing it was the heat that killed it, in such a short period of time.

So my real question is..... what brand/model should I buy for front and rear Dam cam system. I really don't care to much if it has a parking mode, but would like it. I just want a system that will last and don't care to much about the price. I will pay for quality.... I will hardwire my next one.

Thanks

It does sound like it could be a battery failure; if it's badly shot it will prevent enough current from reaching the cam even when powered up remotely. If you're a good tinkerer you might be able to source a battery on the aftermarket and solder it in, but you'll be in the same spot in a couple more years so if you're up for a new cam, check out the Viofo A129 Duo- it's a very good cam and a very good value. Factory firmware is good and there's well-tested modified firmware which makes it really shine. If you can wait a bit, the Pro version will soon be on the market with real 4K resolution. There's threads here on all that ;)

Street Guardian does some darn fine cams too, perhaps the most long-lived ones you can get these days with great video, audio, and support. The K2S dual remote might be for you with it's separate main unit which can be hidden away and tiny cam modules which hide well. A step down in vid quality with that one but still quite good. These are probably the best choices on the market today- there are other cams which are OK but with some issues which you might not care to be saddled with.

Phil

Hi Phil.. thanks for that info.

I think I will replace the battery, then wait for that 4k to come out.

I'm having a problem though... I cannot find the exact battery for my dashcam online, can someone post a link to where I may find it.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20190817_083954.jpg
    20190817_083954.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20190817_083811.jpg
    20190817_083811.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 5
You’re looking for a “13600” battery cell (stands for a physical size), that’s basicaly what you need to know.

You can try a local store or Aliexpress (a bit gamble what quality you get).

Last edited:
Thanks Nath

It also says 3.33wh on the battery....what is that?

Also, I'm not sure how many milli amp hours the battery should be... dose it matter?

That’s energy-capacity, it means nominal voltage (3.7V for this type of Li-ion) times charge-capacity (0.9Ah).

Let say (pretty simplified) you can use almost any capacity you like, only battery type/technology and nominal voltage does matter.

Let say (pretty simplified) you can use almost any capacity you like, only battery type/technology and nominal voltage does matter.
physical size will be the determining factor, just try and find something similar size for starters, minor differences in capacity won't matter, they're rarely correct anyway

Back